2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Clunk, or clang sound when shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/05, 11:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just had a full morning of that.

It sucks because in the manual you have to be on the ball.
If your a little out...BAM....noise.
I was tired this morning..and my mood usually dictates how much noise the tranny will make that drive
Old 4/30/05, 11:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading the posts that have followed mine, I started to wonder if I was just lucky not hearing anything extrarordinary coming from the tranny. True, I've been driving it very gingerly. I haven't really been too abusive with her.

I have heard a metallic "clank" on occasion, which I attributed to the shifting mechanism, but I've never heard a "clunk," which to me would imply that something is out of alignment or requiring tightening. Perhaps what I describe as a clank is the same as his "clunk." It's difficult to tell without further description.

I still think this is one of the best manual transmissions I've ever driven. Way better than the one in my '96 GT. For what that's worth...
Old 4/30/05, 12:31 PM
GT Member

No Clunk here but I have a auto V6....
Old 4/30/05, 01:31 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Clang/clunk...all the same.

You've heard it.
I'm sure everyones heard it...especially if you don't have the radio on and the windows closed. She is a noisy one.

Hear the tranny, the shift noises, the gear noises, the clutch pedal spring noises, the engine noises...tis a symphony going on
Old 4/30/05, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by sharkstang@April 30, 2005, 1:34 PM
No Clunk here but I have a auto V6....
That could make a difference.

Thanks everybody for the opinions and input. I just drove her about 30 miles this morning, and guess what? I rarely heard the clunk. My shifting seems to be much better today. Maybe because I got a good nights sleep, or maybe because it's actually warm and sunny today?

It seems this new clutch and "drive by wire" takes some getting used to. I found today that I get the noise when I let the clutch out too fast, and without enough throttle. Like, when I do a lazy upshift, but then don't accelerate. It's also mainly the 1-2 shift, but if I mess up the 4-5, I still get the double clunk. Also, if I am coming to a stop on a really washboard road, I get the noise over every bump, but then it is more of a clank really. Almost like gears are rattling around inside the trans.

Either way, it sounds like it is the tranny, not the diff. I have been noticing other noises coming from the trans. Not bad noises, just mechanical clunks, wines, vibrations, etc. that tell me this is an American Muscle/Pony car! I have also gotten braver, and have barked them in second a couple times, and slammed it into third with reckless abandon!

I feel better now, and maybe I have overreacted? So since it seems to be getting better, I'm not going to worry about it. If it gets worse after another 500 or so miles, then I'll take it in. Until then, it's time to get some Bassani's on her!