2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Clunk, or clang sound when shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/05, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well, I have put about 140 miles on my car now, and I've had a hard time enjoying it. Seems to me something is really wrong with the driveline. I know there was another thread on this, and that went nowhere. Everybody said "Yeah I have it too," and then that was it.

Half the time I shift, there is a loud clunk sound as I let the clutch out in the next gear. (Yes, I know how to drive.) I can also cruise at say, 40, and then accelerate, then decelerate, and it will do it everytime. I can go down the road . . . on the gas, off the gas, etc. and clunk, clunk, clunk. Sometimes when going to 4th or 5th, it will do a double clunk. Oh, and I have a whine between 60 and 65. I'm not sure if it's related.

I've had it on a lift, and I can't find anything loose, and the lash in the differential seems normal. I have never heard a car or truck make this much noise. Even big POS's don't clunk between gears.

I'm wondering if anybody has had it fixed, and if people who had their rear ends replaced for the old howling problem (please no jokes ) have the noise still, or have had it ever. I'm going to try to narrow it down, but I really want to have something to tell the dealer. I don't want to hear: "That's normal, all GT's do it" because I drove one last year, and it had no noises.

Thanks for any input.
Old 4/29/05, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's time to see the dealer if you feel you have a problem. As you indicated before, comments of it being "Normal" ( I would include myself in that area) aren't cutting it with you, you shoud track it down. Please keep us updated if you find anything. For a fact , these cars do have some noise in the driveline. Hope you get some satisfaction
Old 4/29/05, 05:31 PM
FR500 Member

My car did that when I first got it and somewhere along the line it stopped. I don't really know if it stopped or if I just got use to the hydraulic clutch. Anyone elso have the noise go away?

Paul
Old 4/29/05, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Craig,

Sorry to hear you've got concerns about your tranny. I've got 200 miles on mine and I've never heard any unusual sounds. In fact, I was remarking to my salesman that the tranny seems quieter and smoother than the one in my Audi A4!

Don't settle for "It's normal." I'm sure it just needs adjusting, which can be handled under warranty. Make sure you document your observations with the dealer, and get to know the team of mechanics that will be turning the wrenches on your 'Stang. Establishing a rapport with service technicians is as important as finding a good doctor, baby sitter, etc.

Keep us posted!
Old 4/29/05, 08:01 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Honestly I think its normal
This car IS noisy....noisy tranny and the lot.

I know exactly what your talking about...how if your just decel, then give it gas...<clunk>
also the same thing if you don't have a perfect shift (ie: just the right amount of gas+just the right release of the clutch)
Release a tad too quick, too long...clunk

its annoying because when I'm not on the ball...if I have a lousy shift, it sounds like stuff is breaking..but its not.
Old 4/29/05, 08:07 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Other than the rear end the only other thing i can think of is the pressure plate for the cluch OR the hanger bearing in the driveshaft might be loose from the body that would give you a Clunk sound and a whine at higher gears because the allignment of the driveshaft might be out a bit .
Give that a look over just to be on the safe side.
Old 4/29/05, 08:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm in the "it's normal" crowd as well. The way Boomer describes things is dead on.
Old 4/29/05, 08:47 PM
Mik

I had the same clunking noise too. Took it to the dealer and they checked it out and said everthing was fine. They said they checked with ford and ford told them this was normal for that transmission. Now that I've had the car for a month and a half it rarely clunks. As stated above, Only when I don't give it enough gas or let the clutch out to quick. The hydraulic clutch seems to be quite different from the cable clutch in my old 97 mustang.
Old 4/29/05, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i get the clunking sometimes from first to second and very rarely from second to third but i chaulk it up to improper shifting i guess. when i really ease the clutch out slowly around 2k rpms it never happens. when i shift at higher rpms it does. not sure y tho anyone got ideas on what im doin wrong?
Old 4/29/05, 09:23 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the clunk too
Old 4/29/05, 10:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I first got mine I was very unimpressed with the exact things you're talking about, and I too know how do drive a stick, been doing it for 20 years. Now with 6000km on the clock, it is not as bad. I think part of it is due to being used to the noise, but I really think it is also getting used to the clutch and throttle by wire and possibly the driveline wearing in.

The clunking in higher gears the way you describe it does sound concerning, I would take it in.
Old 4/30/05, 07:44 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't get the clunk on shifting from like 3-4, 4-5
1-2 if I'm not on the ball
2-3 if i"m really not on the ball (mostly happens from 1-2)

I cringe everytime it happens as I say to myself "Drive better you moron"
Old 4/30/05, 07:53 AM
rex
Mach 1 Member

I've driven some "old clunkers" in my day...but never a new one...Get it checked out at the dealer...may be something easy to fix or it may be a design flaw...either way just because a lot of you experience it, it doesn't mean it's "normal" and I wouldn't dismiss it as such.
Old 4/30/05, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

The tranny is my Shelby makes almost the same sort of noises, except a ittle louder.

This is one of those issues where only time will tell. If this is how the tranny is really supposed to sound or if there will be major problems down the road, we'll be finding out in a year or two. I sincerely hope not, though.
Old 4/30/05, 09:11 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Boomer@April 30, 2005, 8:47 AM
I don't get the clunk on shifting from like 3-4, 4-5
1-2 if I'm not on the ball
2-3 if i"m really not on the ball (mostly happens from 1-2)

I cringe everytime it happens as I say to myself "Drive better you moron"

Couldn't agree more with that wording. It took me awhile to get used to the new clutch setup. Went from a 98 GT with king cobra manual clutch to the new hydro clutch.
Old 4/30/05, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

mine does that 2, i think it might be becuase i only have 250 miles on her
Old 4/30/05, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine does it also. If I'm lazy with my shifts when accelerating hard at higher RPMs, I will get a loud clunk as the shifter seems like it is thrown out of the lower gear. It occurs on the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift. It rarely happens, and when it does is usually a result of myself not being in rhythm between the cluch depression and the shifting of the gear. I have never had a clunking noise at higher gears though.

I also had this happen with my '02 GT, and it occured under the same circumstances.

I also have whine on deceleration, especially in the lower gears at higher RPMs. My '02 did the same thing. I brought it to my dealer when I purchased the car back in October, and was told there is nothing wrong with it. It might be a situation where I have to be persistent with the service department at my dealership, if there is an actual fix for it.
Old 4/30/05, 10:43 AM
V6 Member

I noticed it when I first got my car. As I got used to the clutch/throttle blend, imy shifts became smoother and now I rarely hear the clunk. Most likely a little slop in the drive line - my guess is the extra u-joints needed for the two piece driveshaft setup.

John
Old 4/30/05, 10:51 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by farmerjohn@April 30, 2005, 9:46 AM
I noticed it when I first got my car. As I got used to the clutch/throttle blend, imy shifts became smoother and now I rarely hear the clunk. Most likely a little slop in the drive line - my guess is the extra u-joints needed for the two piece driveshaft setup.

John
I havn't had the sound now for a long time. I have about 6300 miles on her now.
I thing the "clunk" bothered me so much that I sub-consciously "made" it go away and don't even know exactly how!

Paul
Old 4/30/05, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have had that noise since day one.
Kind of anoying. All i do is put the top down and the noise goes away
But seriously, there is a TBS on it . #05-8-8
Since I also have the strut popping noise (TBS# 05-9-11 ), i will be taking her in for
a check up.

Quick Reply: Clunk, or clang sound when shifting.