2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cloth or Vinyl Top?

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/07, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't stand the windnoise with just the windows down, or the moonroof open, let alone the entire top being retracted. I don't even listen to loud music. Another reason I don't like convertibles is the rollover "safety" rating. Finally, the ragtops detract from the overall appearance of the Stang, IMHO. It reminds me too much of the vinyl crap Ford tacked on sedans back in the 80s (even though they were intended to simulate convertibles in the first place). The sleek angular rear windshield completes the modern fastback muscle car profile MUCH better than the ragtop with the "plastic" rear windshield. The A/C in a rental wasn't enough to handle the heat in the middle of the desert (120F ambient, UV index 9-10+, middle of the Mojave at 1200 hours). If I had a ragtop, I'd just get a nasty sunburn in the process with 120F winds blowing all over the place. I just prefer hardtop coupes and don't feel any animosity towards those that like ragtops.

You can use 303 Fabric Guard to treat the vinyl and cloth tops to repel water. I just bought some to treat the cloth seats and carpeting in the Stang.
Old 2/16/07, 11:48 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Florida
The top is always down (Almost)
Garage kept both home and work
Yes the cloth looks nicer and the vinyl cleans easier
WHO CARES IT’S A CONVERTIBLE....

Drop and enjoy
Old 2/16/07, 12:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
. With the top down, you'll eventually go deaf on the highway from the wind noise. Heck, I don't even drive on the highway with the windows down... ever. If my A/C is busted, I keep the windows up and sweat it out.
Have you driven in a S197 vert. They are AWESOME with the top down. No lie, I have driven at 75 mph and been on the cell phone, and the person heard me loud and clear.

The S197 verts are really an improvement over other verts. It's pretty quiet. You don't even have to crank up the radio to hear it. And, that's coming from someone who also has an exhaust system (although it's a corsa, so take that into consideration)
Old 2/16/07, 12:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metroplex
I can't stand the windnoise with just the windows down, or the moonroof open, let alone the entire top being retracted. I don't even listen to loud music. Another reason I don't like convertibles is the rollover "safety" rating. Finally, the ragtops detract from the overall appearance of the Stang, IMHO. It reminds me too much of the vinyl crap Ford tacked on sedans back in the 80s (even though they were intended to simulate convertibles in the first place). The sleek angular rear windshield completes the modern fastback muscle car profile MUCH better than the ragtop with the "plastic" rear windshield. The A/C in a rental wasn't enough to handle the heat in the middle of the desert (120F ambient, UV index 9-10+, middle of the Mojave at 1200 hours). If I had a ragtop, I'd just get a nasty sunburn in the process with 120F winds blowing all over the place. I just prefer hardtop coupes and don't feel any animosity towards those that like ragtops.

You can use 303 Fabric Guard to treat the vinyl and cloth tops to repel water. I just bought some to treat the cloth seats and carpeting in the Stang.
The rear window on the vert is glass now. Metroplex,no offense,but you sound like a crotchety old man.
Old 2/16/07, 01:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
The rear window on the vert is glass now. Metroplex,no offense,but you sound like a crotchety old man.
Crotchety 'Post Happy' you mean? 1600+ posts in less than 5 months, and going for the record. 'jus funnin 'ya man....carry on
Old 2/16/07, 02:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
The rear window on the vert is glass now.
I think the rear window has ALWAYS been glass on mustangs, or at least since the Fox's.
Old 2/16/07, 02:21 PM
V6 Member

... it feels better when you pet it.
Dude did you really just say that!!!!
Old 2/16/07, 02:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Allot of valid points posted here, it really boils down to personal preference. When I ordered my '07 I ordered the vinyl top. The money was not a big issue but I noticed the new ones on the lot with cloth all had lint on them and they wash them all the time, obviously not like we wash our own cars but none the less, that was a turn off for me. There is no doubt in my mind that when comparing new cars to new cars the cloth looked darker, richer, and just plain better but the upkeep was my biggest concern. I think the vinyl is easier to clean, and I like that it dries very quickly, I don't have the cloth so I cant compare but I would imagine it takes much longer to dry. I use RaggTopp on mine to preserve it. Also when the time comes that it does have to be replaced I think just like when new the vinyl will be cheaper than the cloth. Either way you go you will probably be happy, both have there pros and cons and if you decide latter you want to change when it's time to replace it you can go the other way.
Old 2/16/07, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Bottom line....just be happy to have a Pony. Who care's if it's a V6, GT, Hardtop, Vert or what color. As long as you have one and are happy with it, that's all that matters.

My 16 year-old son was all ticked off that a got a Vert instead of a Hardtop. I told him that the day he pays for it is the day he gets to make the decision. Besides, now when he asks for the keys it's, "Sorry dude, I know you don't like the Verts....if only I had a coupe, I'd be more than happy to throw you the keys. It's either the '97 Lincoln Continental with 34K miles on it, your bike, or your feet....the choice is yours."
Old 2/16/07, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steevr
It's either the '97 Lincoln Continental with 34K miles on it, your bike, or your feet....the choice is yours."
LOL! I love it! I've got a few more years before my kids drive. I'm savin' the wife's car for them! (gotta be careful that they're not looking over my shoulder while I type.....ha, ha, ha!)