2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Character

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/04, 10:25 PM
slp
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the 2005 Mustang is bringing back to the industry is some style (which gives it character). People keep calling it retro, but it really is not. Sure, it is reminiscent of the early models; but if not compared to them, it is thoroughly modern. The vast majority of cars today are either ugly (Element, Scion, 350Z, Murano, etc.) or uninspired (Accord, Camry, Acuras, BMWs, GTO, etc.). It has been eleven years since an automaker has designed a vehicle I would want to spend money on.
Old 10/2/04, 10:30 PM
FR500 Member

To me the 2005 Mustang is the natural progression of the line, as if Ford had never strayed from the classic fastback style in the 65-70 models.
Old 10/2/04, 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

The retro look is what got me to order a Mustang. I've always liked the look of the fastbacks and longed to buy my neighbor's 67 model when I was going to high school back in the 80's. But the parents said no.

The late 80's through 2004 models are nice, but just never really appealed to me. Till now, my dream car was a Toyota Mark IV Twin-Turbo Supra but it was way to expensive.

The retro look, the performance, the quality for ~$25k...how could I resist?
Old 10/3/04, 12:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by frankswildyears@October 2, 2004, 8:55 PM

Are you a CITY supporter? Just kidding, great to hear from our mates over the big river. I understand your defense of the current stangs, and respect your opinion.
For me, the reason to purchase the 2005 Mustang was that it satisfied 2 criteria that no previous edition had to offer. The retro looks (wanted a 68 since I was 10)
and modern performance and safety features. This is a car I can store in the winter, drive all summmer and everything in between. The reports I've received since I ordered the car in May have been more than favorable.
As far as the character of the car, I don't think that it will be lost in the loose handling department. If we could get the car reduced by about 12" it would be awesome. Give up on the back seat ( under5's only) and give it 400HP as a SE wo0uld be fun but impractical. IMHO great job ford. cheers mate and if your ever in the colony let me know
Jim,

cheers mate and if your ever in the colony let me know
You really do not want to be saying that.............when you open the door to a 6' 4" Englishman demanding to be taken to the nearest bar, don't say you haven't been warned! and no, I am not a City supporter, or a United supporter for that matter !

Thanks for all the replies Guys! As I said, this is my own personal opinion and time will only tell if my concerns are totally unfounded!
I just wanted to get a decent thread going that took peoples minds off their imminent deliveries......

CHEERS!!
Old 10/6/04, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

This line of thinking would make the Yugo the car with the most character ever built!

Seriously, when I drive a BMW or any other sort of up-scale Euro, I think it has loads of character. Build quality doesn't have anything to do with character. The new stang has loads.
Old 10/6/04, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

nitpicking on words here, but I don't know if I'd go as far as calling the BMW "uninspired", slp..

Some hate 'em, some love 'em. I like the new "lines-everywhere" style.
Old 10/6/04, 04:49 PM
GT Member

That Beemer reminds me of the carpet in Las Vegas. It looks
nice for a moment but you have to look away to keep sane.
Old 10/6/04, 04:52 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by JustAnotherDude@October 6, 2004, 3:57 PM
nitpicking on words here, but I don't know if I'd go as far as calling the BMW "uninspired", slp..

Some hate 'em, some love 'em. I like the new "lines-everywhere" style.
That M5 is one sweet car. Read the article in the new Motor Trend about it.
Old 10/6/04, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I feel that the biggest part of the stang's character is the rumble of the V-8. The V6 is nice, but you know a GT when you hear it.
Old 10/6/04, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy+October 3, 2004, 12:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jgsmuzzy @ October 3, 2004, 12:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-frankswildyears@October 2, 2004, 8:55 PM

Are you a CITY supporter? Just kidding, great to hear from our mates over the big river. I understand your defense of the current stangs, and respect your opinion.
For me, the reason to purchase the 2005 Mustang was that it satisfied 2 criteria that no previous edition had to offer. The retro looks (wanted a 68 since I was 10)
and modern performance and safety features. This is a car I can store in the winter, drive all summmer and everything in between. The reports I've received since I ordered the car in May have been more than favorable.
As far as the character of the car, I don't think that it will be lost in the loose handling department. If we could get the car reduced by about 12" it would be awesome. Give up on the back seat ( under5's only) and give it 400HP as a SE wo0uld be fun but impractical. IMHO great job ford. cheers mate and if your ever in the colony let me know
Jim,

cheers mate and if your ever in the colony let me know
You really do not want to be saying that.............when you open the door to a 6' 4" Englishman demanding to be taken to the nearest bar, don't say you haven't been warned! and no, I am not a City supporter, or a United supporter for that matter !

Thanks for all the replies Guys! As I said, this is my own personal opinion and time will only tell if my concerns are totally unfounded!
I just wanted to get a decent thread going that took peoples minds off their imminent deliveries......

CHEERS!! [/b][/quote]
James, when you're a 5"9 Irish/Native Canadian, it doesn't matter who's banging on the door, we're all goin' to da pub!