2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Changing clutch fluid

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/10, 07:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Changing clutch fluid

It has been 5 years now sice I bought my car new. I figured it was time to do a complete R&R of the brake/clutch fluid and the coolant. My question is how do you get old the fluid out of the clutch line and slave cyl? It is the craziest design I have ever seen. On th 05 it actually has a bleeder but is pretty much inaccessible with the tranny in the car.
Any help is appreciated...
Thanks, Dave
Old 9/21/10, 09:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Actually, I'd like to know this too. But this post should probably be in the Warranty/Service Issues section
Old 9/21/10, 09:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
Actually, I'd like to know this too. But this post should probably be in the Warranty/Service Issues section
Actually, i looked at the threads in this section first but it did not seem appropriate for that forum. this is not really a warranty or service issue.
Old 9/23/10, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Anybody got some info on this?
Old 9/23/10, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't the clutch/brake fluid use the same reservoir/cylinder? Or is that only 2010?
Old 9/23/10, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by chutoyy
Doesn't the clutch/brake fluid use the same reservoir/cylinder? Or is that only 2010?
They all share the same reservoir
Old 9/23/10, 08:43 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davids2toys
It has been 5 years now sice I bought my car new. I figured it was time to do a complete R&R of the brake/clutch fluid and the coolant. My question is how do you get old the fluid out of the clutch line and slave cyl? It is the craziest design I have ever seen. On th 05 it actually has a bleeder but is pretty much inaccessible with the tranny in the car.
Any help is appreciated...
Thanks, Dave
My old F150 bleed screws have been frozen tight for 10-15 years. So I just use a (new) turkey baster and suck 80% of it out and refill with new. Could do it twice if you felt you needed to - drive it a bit, come back and do it again. You'd have pretty much new fluid.
Old 9/24/10, 08:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
My old F150 bleed screws have been frozen tight for 10-15 years. So I just use a (new) turkey baster and suck 80% of it out and refill with new. Could do it twice if you felt you needed to - drive it a bit, come back and do it again. You'd have pretty much new fluid.
That system must be nothing like the new mustangs clutch hydraulic system. I think you are missing my point completely, do you understand what my question is? Take a look under the hood of your car, getting the fluid out of the reservoir is not the problem here. Just bleeding the brakes will purge all the fluid from the reservoir...but what about the fluid in the line leading down to the slave and the fluid in the slave itself??? How do you remove and replace this fluid without removing the tranny to gain access to the slave cylinder?
Old 9/24/10, 11:21 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using a suitable tool, remove the brake fluid from the brake fluid reservoir.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BLEEDING BRAKES.pdf (155.7 KB, 833 views)
File Type: pdf
BLEEDING CLUTCH.pdf (69.3 KB, 2193 views)
Old 9/24/10, 11:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by partsbill
Using a suitable tool, remove the brake fluid from the brake fluid reservoir.
Thanks, but i have these instructions. This is how to bleed AIR ONLY out of the clutch slave cyl, that is not my question, I want to get rid of the old fluid. This proceedure is real good when you are replacing the slave cylinder or replacing a clutch to bleed the air off after replacing with the new fluid
Old 9/24/10, 11:32 AM
Post *****

That system must be nothing like the new mustangs clutch hydraulic system. I think you are missing my point completely, do you understand what my question is? Take a look under the hood of your car, getting the fluid out of the reservoir is not the problem here. Just bleeding the brakes will purge all the fluid from the reservoir...but what about the fluid in the line leading down to the slave and the fluid in the slave itself??? How do you remove and replace this fluid without removing the tranny to gain access to the slave cylinder?
Yes I think I understand though I haven't crawled under your car.
I am unable to flush my brake line because the bleed screw is frozen just like you say you cannot flush your line completely.
But the fluid mixes everytime you use the pedal. So, like I have to do with my F150 frozen bleed screw, I suck out and replace fluid in the reservoir. (Do not suck out 100% until res is completely empty because you do not want to expose any air to the line. As I said, you could do this a couple of times if you are overly concerned about getting as much new fluid in as you can.)
While it would be better to be able to flush properly, I have been doing this successfully for well over 100k miles (my F150 has 250k).
Just an idea for another solution for you.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/24/10 at 11:35 AM.
Old 9/24/10, 11:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yes I think I understand though I haven't crawled under your car.
I am unable to flush my brake line because the bleed screw is frozen just like you say you cannot flush your line completely.
But the fluid mixes everytime you use the pedal. So, like I have to do with my F150 frozen bleed screw, I suck out and replace fluid in the reservoir. (Do not suck out 100% until res is completely empty because you do not want to expose any air to the line. As I said, you could do this a couple of times if you are overly concerned about getting as much new fluid in as you can.)
While it would be better to be able to flush properly, I have been doing this successfully for well over 100k miles (my F150 has 250k).
Just an idea for another solution for you.
In your info it says you have a 2008 Bullit. I said to look under the hood of your car since it would be the same as mine. I really dont think the clutch fluid gets all mixed up with new fluid every time you use the clutch. I am sure the fluid in the reservoir just keeps air from getting into the line itself. thanks for the help but I don't care for this solution at all.
Old 9/24/10, 11:54 AM
Post *****

In your info it says you have a 2008 Bullit. I said to look under the hood of your car since it would be the same as mine. I really dont think the clutch fluid gets all mixed up with new fluid every time you use the clutch. I am sure the fluid in the reservoir just keeps air from getting into the line itself. thanks for the help but I don't care for this solution at all.
I'm still in my bathrobe so no I'm not going outside to look in 40 degs.

I can only tell you what has worked for 100k in a Ford product. And yes it mixes, I've seen it.

You're a heli mechanic, figure it out. Good luck.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/24/10 at 11:57 AM.