2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Can't believe this...

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/05, 07:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the windshield was $750, but I can't remember where. Of course, that is likely list price and I would think you could get a discount on it.
Old 2/23/05, 07:53 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where was the crack? Could be a design issue as this is not the first car with this problem. Mine had the same thing. Front windshield at the bottom on the passenger side, about 6-8 inches from the corner. It was only 1" long when I picked up the car. By the time they got the new windshield in, 1 week later, the crack was all the way to the drivers side and a second one went through the center of the windshield
Old 2/23/05, 07:59 AM
Cobra Member

Should be paid for by your insurance... At least thats the way it is in fl... The insurance has to pay with no penalty to you for windshield replacement.

Roger
Old 2/23/05, 08:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Originally posted by adrenalin@February 23, 2005, 8:56 AM
Where was the crack? Could be a design issue as this is not the first car with this problem. Mine had the same thing. Front windshield at the bottom on the passenger side, about 6-8 inches from the corner. It was only 1" long when I picked up the car. By the time they got the new windshield in, 1 week later, the crack was all the way to the drivers side and a second one went through the center of the windshield
Adrenalin: I remember reading your post from back in November, searched for it and read it again this morning.

I haven't seen the crack, but from the way my salesman described it to me on the phone yesterday afternoon, it sounds exactly like yours started---down low near the corner on the passenger side.

I've only seen report of yours, mine and maybe one other person on TMS with this problem, so it is apparently not widespread. The dealer is handling it today, before I take delivery of the car tonight or tomorrow.
Old 2/23/05, 08:18 AM

Mike,

After delivery of my car ( Legend Lime GT) I had the dealer install the Compass - Temp mirror. Perfect installation attached to windshield in identical location of factory mirror. After driving several days I determined that the compass was very accurate but the temp was off by about 10 degrees. Dealer ordered a new mirror and I brought car back for reinstall. Apparently the adhesive on the comp-temp mirror is very strong ( it is a bigger,heavier mirror ) and the tech, when struggling to remove the mirror, pulled a part of the windshield off with the mirror ( a chunk of windshield about the size of a silver dollar ). So now a new windshield is on order and I am driving around without a rearview mirror--- real bummer. So make sure they are very careful when fooling with the new mirror and windshield. Good luck ! By the way the 05 Gt is fantastic in every respect and you're goint to love it. Took mine on River road through the twisties from Metairie towards Vacherie and this has to be the best handling Mustang ever.
Old 2/23/05, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by mach1fever@February 23, 2005, 9:02 AM
Should be paid for by your insurance... At least thats the way it is in fl... The insurance has to pay with no penalty to you for windshield replacement.

Roger
It's still on the dealer's / Ford's dime, not mine or my insurance. I haven't taken delivery yet; the dealer found it while prepping the car for me.

I'll take delivery tonight or tomorrow, whenever it is ready from the windshield replacement. The new one is coming in from out of town today.
Old 2/23/05, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by OLTIMER@February 23, 2005, 9:21 AM
Mike,

After delivery of my car ( Legend Lime GT) I had the dealer install the Compass - Temp mirror. Perfect installation attached to windshield in identical location of factory mirror. After driving several days I determined that the compass was very accurate but the temp was off by about 10 degrees. Dealer ordered a new mirror and I brought car back for reinstall. Apparently the adhesive on the comp-temp mirror is very strong ( it is a bigger,heavier mirror ) and the tech, when struggling to remove the mirror, pulled a part of the windshield off with the mirror ( a chunk of windshield about the size of a silver dollar ). So now a new windshield is on order and I am driving around without a rearview mirror--- real bummer. So make sure they are very careful when fooling with the new mirror and windshield. Good luck ! By the way the 05 Gt is fantastic in every respect and you're goint to love it. Took mine on River road through the twisties from Metairie towards Vacherie and this has to be the best handling Mustang ever.
Oltimer: I can't wait to take mine down that same path. Our Mustang club meetings are at the St. Rose Tavern on River Road. But I'll take her further up the river than that.

Thanks for the tips on the mirror install, the windshield, and the temp guage. I'll keep my eye on all that stuff.
Old 2/23/05, 08:29 AM
Cobra Member

What is the part number for that mirror? The last time I looked, Ford accessories did not show a compass/temp mirror for the Mustang. That is one featuer I really do want. If for no other reason than that temp guage is REAL nice when you are wondering if the water on the road is going to freeze or stay wet. And I just like it!
Old 2/23/05, 08:45 AM
GT Member

Safelite came to my house yesterday to replace the cracked
windshield in my wife's 1994 Integra....$244 including clip kit.
Old 2/23/05, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

ok cool sorry good luck you will love it
Old 2/23/05, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by RRRoamer@February 23, 2005, 9:32 AM
What is the part number for that mirror? The last time I looked, Ford accessories did not show a compass/temp mirror for the Mustang. That is one featuer I really do want. If for no other reason than that temp guage is REAL nice when you are wondering if the water on the road is going to freeze or stay wet. And I just like it!
I learned about this mirror from the 05 Mustang Accessories brochure given to me by my salesman. Item 16, page 8. The brochure describes several mirrors, with various features, with and without the Homelink feature. Base part # 17700.

Part # is XF2Z*17700*AA -- compass and temp, without Homelink.

My understanding is that this mirror has broader application than just to the 05 Mustang; it is for a number of Fords, including the 05 Stang.
Old 2/23/05, 10:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by maucoin65@February 23, 2005, 8:40 AM
Wasn't there a post a while back about a pony logo on the factory windshield? Where is it? I want to look for it when I take delivery.

I hope they install one like that, but it won't be the end of the world if it is missing, I suppose.
The stock windshield has a Running Pony logo and a series of black dots embedded in the glass at the top center of the windshield in roughly the shape of the area that is not filled when the the sunvisors are folded down. My understanding (and experience) is that it reduces the sunlight and glare in that space. My wife's Explorer has a similar treatment for the same reason (of course without the Pony!)

B)
Old 2/23/05, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by maucoin65@February 23, 2005, 7:40 AM
Wasn't there a post a while back about a pony logo on the factory windshield? Where is it? I want to look for it when I take delivery.

I hope they install one like that, but it won't be the end of the world if it is missing, I suppose.
The pony logo is near the top of the windhield above the rearview mirror, right in the center - made with the dots they put around the edge of the windshield.