2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Can a seat belt leak an oily substance?

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/21, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a seat belt leak an oily substance?

Hi, I have an 06 mustang and drivers front seat belt has an oily substance on it that smells like grease? (all across the front of my shirt now) can’t find anything on the net about it. Anyone ever hear of this? I have throughly washed entire seat belt and it is drying now. Don’t know if it will work. Is there a lubricant in retractor? Thanks Paul

Last edited by Pauls02; 2/4/21 at 01:33 PM.
Old 2/5/21, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
never heard of that. Did someone play a mean game on you?
The following users liked this post:
Pauls02 (2/5/21)
Old 2/5/21, 08:35 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,056 Likes on 661 Posts
I never heard of that either BUT seeing you live in south FL, I do remember one big thing about living in Florida during my entire youth and working years. In the summer heat, things disintegrate and break down like nowhere else as the years go by. I had rubber rear hatch seals actually melt/glue themselves to other parts. Both were GM 1990's cars. I also had a 1988 Merkur (German Ford) whose many plastic interior parts cracked and broke apart after just 6 years. These were new cars bought in FL and generally garage kept EXCEPT they were out in the sun every day during working hours. Interior temps often reach well over 120 degrees during the FL summer heat. Is it possible there is something inside the seat belt retainer/mechanism that is breaking down and causing this mess? Nothing will fix this except for new parts.

Last edited by NC14GT; 2/5/21 at 08:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
Buckshot Barry (4/10/22), Pauls02 (2/5/21)
Old 2/5/21, 08:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
usually there is a lubricant's (grease) to keep the spool and ratchet working, if you have some age and heat it will turn over a period of time into a liquid as it breaks down.
Pauls02 (2/5/21)
Old 2/5/21, 12:54 PM

I was thinking the same thing because it smells just like ball joint grease or lubriplate that has liquified. I have cleaned it about 5 times with many different solutions and seems to be staying dry for now just trying to get rid of the lingering grease smell. Those seat belt assemblies are not cheap and not sure how difficult to install, I think probably not too hard! Thanks
Old 2/8/21, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Has the car been in a shop recently?

Buddy once worked on a car, he didn't know he had a glob of grease on his shirt, took car for test drive, used belt, lady picked car up later and it ruined a blouse she wore. He married her. I told him blouse would have been cheaper.

But then I went into a DMV once in 1979, that lady is still with me.

My '95 Thunderbird excretes or oozes a black goo from the OD button area of the shifter that get's on the right hand in the thumb area, usually in the summer but if remnant is there, even when cold, it'll transfer to clothing or face if touched.

It's likely as described above, degradation.

Last edited by tbear853; 2/8/21 at 12:26 PM.
Old 2/10/21, 12:32 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Pauls02
I was thinking the same thing because it smells just like ball joint grease or lubriplate that has liquified. I have cleaned it about 5 times with many different solutions and seems to be staying dry for now just trying to get rid of the lingering grease smell. Those seat belt assemblies are not cheap and not sure how difficult to install, I think probably not too hard! Thanks
Its not difficult at all to install. I took apart my whole interior.
A few bolts is what is holding it down. You need to remove the panles first. I believe its 2 big screw and a clip.
Old 4/4/22, 07:05 PM

Solution?

Hi, I have an 06 mustang and drivers front seat belt has an oily substance on it that smells like grease? (all across the front of my shirt now) can’t find anything on the net about it. Anyone ever hear of this? I have throughly washed entire seat belt and it is drying now. Don’t know if it will work. Is there a lubricant in retractor? Thanks Paul
hello, a couple years later and it seems my car is having this issue as well. 2006 gt mustang convertible, greasy oily substance on driver seat belt only. It ruins every item of clothing I wear with it. Did you find out what the issue was? Trying to figure out if I need to replace the seat belt. Also don’t want it to happen again, wouldn’t be a leak of some sort, would it?
Old 3/4/23, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Me too!

It just started happening on my 2006 Mustang as well!
Old 3/4/23, 08:33 AM

Paul, what cleaners did you use? Did cleaning solve the problem?
Old 3/4/23, 02:27 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
I Just Happen to Have a Nos 08 Seatbelt and Took a Pic For You Guys. On the Retractor It Has Two Plastic Covers. One Has a Little Slot in the Middle and You can See an Oily Substance. A Quick Sniff and Yes it Smells Like Ball Joint Grease. I'm Gonna Guess the Plastic Cover Cracked and Leaked The Fluid.

I would Try The Gold Dawn Dishwashing Soap For Cleaning.

May Want To See if Cover Has a Crack Which Could Be Repaired.

KC

Small Cresent Slot almost Center Has the Oily Look & Smell. 08 Drivers Belt

Last edited by 05stangkc; 3/4/23 at 02:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
kevinr (3/4/23), NC14GT (3/5/23)
Old 3/4/23, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I Just Happen to Have a Nos 08 Seatbelt and Took a Pic For You Guys. On the Retractor It Has Two Plastic Covers. One Has a Little Slot in the Middle and You can See an Oily Substance. A Quick Sniff and Yes it Smells Like Ball Joint Grease. I'm Gonna Guess the Plastic Cover Cracked and Leaked The Fluid.

I would Try The Gold Dawn Dishwashing Soap For Cleaning.

May Want To See if Cover Has a Crack Which Could Be Repaired.

KC

Small Cresent Slot almost Center Has the Oily Look & Smell. 08 Drivers Belt
Thanks! That is likely it. My car has low miles, but more of the plastic parts seem to be deteriorating. I appreciate the picture.
NC14GT (3/5/23)
Old 3/4/23, 03:22 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinr
Thanks! That is likely it. My car has low miles, but more of the plastic parts seem to be deteriorating. I appreciate the picture.
You Are Welcome. I certainly Had Never Heard of a Greasy Seatbelt Either!

Let Us Know if You Investigate Further. Now The Sn197 Guys are Gonna be Wondering. Are You in Very Cold or Very Hot Area! I would Surmize Plastic Can Be Heat , Cold Sensitive and Both. Here In Central California We Don't get Much Rust But a Lot of Cracked From the Heat Plastic Parts Turning to Dust!

KC
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
kevinr (3/4/23), NC14GT (3/5/23)
Old 3/4/23, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
You Are Welcome. I certainly Had Never Heard of a Greasy Seatbelt Either!

Let Us Know if You Investigate Further. Now The Sn197 Guys are Gonna be Wondering. Are You in Very Cold or Very Hot Area! I would Surmize Plastic Can Be Heat , Cold Sensitive and Both. Here In Central California We Don't get Much Rust But a Lot of Cracked From the Heat Plastic Parts Turning to Dust!

KC
For it's first 3 years, it was in Detroit. It was in a garage all winter and rarely driven in the winter.

It's next 15 years have been in hot, hot Austin, Texas. Some of that time in a garage and some not. However, even in the garage, it gets hot. It only has 45,000 miles.

It's a convertible as well. I'm not sure if the seatbelt mechanism is different, but it's in a slightly different spot, I'd guess.
Old 3/4/23, 04:01 PM

I also need to figure out how to clean my clothes. 😆 I honestly thought it was just sweat or something until after I washed my clothes and it didn’t wash out. Maybe I can just say it’s a racing stripe and wear a lab coat when I drive going forward.
The following 2 users liked this post by kevinr:
05stangkc (3/4/23), NC14GT (3/5/23)