2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Can I play the dealer game?

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/05, 07:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys think I can order from 2 dealers and whoever gets pulled first just cancel the other. As of the beginning of Aug. I am priority 18 at my dealer (Pleasentville Ford Westchester NY) I like my dealer but maybe I can do better. How about it?
Old 8/21/05, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by nyyankee@August 21, 2005, 6:57 PM
Do you guys think I can order from 2 dealers and whoever gets pulled first just cancel the other. As of the beginning of Aug. I am priority 18 at my dealer (Pleasentville Ford Westchester NY) I like my dealer but maybe I can do better. How about it?
You might have to forfeit your deposit if you put one down.
Old 8/21/05, 08:28 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
On the surface, it seems unfair, but when was the last time a dealership was fair?
Being as you have only have a priority 18, I'd try asking several dealers about their allocation and where you'd be on their list. Hey you never know, you may even wind up with a better price.
Old 8/21/05, 08:57 PM
GT Member

Well I'm on X-plan and the dealer supposedly put me on B16 and so I lose $500 I guess I have t try.
Old 8/21/05, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wait a second... why would you forfeit your deposit!? You just get your deposit back if the other dealership is giving you better service, simple as that. That deposit money is YOURS until you sign on the dotted line to finalize the sale of the car. Unless you signed a legally binding contract that states your deposit is NONREFUNDABLE, a dealership has absolutely ZERO legal recourse in keeping your deposit. They would get REAMED in small claims court and in a complaint to the BBB.

Putting a deposit down at a separate dealership, if you feel you're getting screwed at your first dealership, is NOTHING more than good business. You are protecting your interests, like any good business man would do. It isn't like they're not going to be able to sell the car for MSRP within a few days.
Old 8/21/05, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@August 21, 2005, 9:11 PM
Wait a second... why would you forfeit your deposit!? You just get your deposit back if the other dealership is giving you better service, simple as that. That deposit money is YOURS until you sign on the dotted line to finalize the sale of the car. Unless you signed a legally binding contract that states your deposit is NONREFUNDABLE, a dealership has absolutely ZERO legal recourse in keeping your deposit. They would get REAMED in small claims court and in a complaint to the BBB.

Putting a deposit down at a separate dealership, if you feel you're getting screwed at your first dealership, is NOTHING more than good business. You are protecting your interests, like any good business man would do. It isn't like they're not going to be able to sell the car for MSRP within a few days.
That's the point of a deposit. It took them time to take care of you and order your car. People don't work for free.
Old 8/21/05, 09:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

it didnt cost them $500 either.
Old 8/21/05, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Shifty@August 21, 2005, 11:15 PM
That's the point of a deposit. It took them time to take care of you and order your car. People don't work for free.
Right, of course they don't. But people don't get cars for free either. We have to pay for them, and if I feel that I am being jerked around by the people I am paying to order my car, then I have every right in the world to go to another dealer and order somewhere else.

ANyway, you're complete wrong in your assumption that a deposit is to "pay" for someone to order your car. It's to show the dealership that you are serious about buying the car. Duh! In less savory establishments, they will try to hold the deposit over your head if you back out of the deal, but mention the "L" word once and you'll see your check pretty darn fast.

By the way, it isn't worth $500 dollars to "order" and "prep" (wash, detail, wax... I do that all the time to my car, and I think prep is a separate charge anyway) a car. The sales manager ordered my car fro me while I was sitting there. It took about five minutes... probably less effort than it's taking for me to write this post.

Get off your high horse, man. The guy thinks he's being jerked around. He has every right to go to another dealership and order, and the law back him up. That's half the reason I got such a good deal on my '05 in the first place - ordering from two delaerships at once... and the dealership I didn't go with? The car didn't stay on the lot for more than a week.
Old 8/23/05, 07:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@August 21, 2005, 10:29 PM
Right, of course they don't. But people don't get cars for free either. We have to pay for them, and if I feel that I am being jerked around by the people I am paying to order my car, then I have every right in the world to go to another dealer and order somewhere else.

ANyway, you're complete wrong in your assumption that a deposit is to "pay" for someone to order your car. It's to show the dealership that you are serious about buying the car. Duh! In less savory establishments, they will try to hold the deposit over your head if you back out of the deal, but mention the "L" word once and you'll see your check pretty darn fast.

By the way, it isn't worth $500 dollars to "order" and "prep" (wash, detail, wax... I do that all the time to my car, and I think prep is a separate charge anyway) a car. The sales manager ordered my car fro me while I was sitting there. It took about five minutes... probably less effort than it's taking for me to write this post.

Get off your high horse, man. The guy thinks he's being jerked around. He has every right to go to another dealership and order, and the law back him up. That's half the reason I got such a good deal on my '05 in the first place - ordering from two delaerships at once... and the dealership I didn't go with? The car didn't stay on the lot for more than a week.

If you think you're getting "jerked around" don't order from the dealer in the first place. If your not done shopping for the right deal don't place an order with anyone. Yes the deposit is to show you are serious,but in Canada if you sign an offer to purchase and the dealer fulfils his obligation in a timely fashion and you back out you lose your deposit whether its $500 or $5000. Sure hope you word means more when you give it to someone - other than a car dealer!!!! :nono: :nono: :nono:
Old 8/23/05, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I referred someone on this forum to my dealership, because they accepted X-Plan on the GT. My salesman told me today that that person referred someone who WORKS at another dealership, because they wouldn't give ANY plan even to their own employees! So, that employee came to my dealership and ordered his GT.

How screwy is that??? Some dealerships eat their own young.... :notnice:
Old 8/23/05, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by AB05GT@August 23, 2005, 9:19 PM
If you think you're getting "jerked around" don't order from the dealer in the first place. If your not done shopping for the right deal don't place an order with anyone. Yes the deposit is to show you are serious,but in Canada if you sign an offer to purchase and the dealer fulfils his obligation in a timely fashion and you back out you lose your deposit whether its $500 or $5000. Sure hope you word means more when you give it to someone - other than a car dealer!!!! :nono: :nono: :nono:
Refunding deposits is standard practice with car dealers, even if you have a contract that states the deposit is nonrefundable. I've never heard of a dealer giving more than token resistance in returning a deposit even if they were not legally obligated to do so.
Old 8/23/05, 07:38 PM
V6 Member

But with a GT it's not like the dealership you back out of will not sell the car... and odds are unless both orders got filled very close together, the dealership could change the order to someone elses liking. I kind of did this.
My sales guy in April took a 500.00 refundable depost down to get me in line for an 06 as they were still finishing up the 05 orders. Well.. come June 1st, I call his cell phone and he orders my 06, emails (yahoo acct) me the DORA and I'm good to go. Find out later that he sent an email out to all his clients saying he moved dealerships (I didn't get the email) so my 06 order is at another dealership 112 miles away instead of 20 minutes. So my 500 was just setting at the old dealership. Got it back of course. I'm still the first 06 at my saleman's new dealership and I got him to knock off $'s for me having to drive out and the "inconvenience" of it all.
If I had an order in right now and was looking at a Oct - Dec delivery, I would see if I could find another dealer that would do the same deal but promised his allocations and my place in line would get me the car quicker. Just make sure the deposit is refundable. Some dealers dont require deposits, my salesman didnt make me put one down at his new dealership. Oh and I pick up my car tomorrow. WOOT!
Old 8/23/05, 07:49 PM
GT Member

If you think you're getting "jerked around" don't order from the dealer in the first place. If your not done shopping for the right deal don't place an order with anyone. Yes the deposit is to show you are serious,but in Canada if you sign an offer to purchase and the dealer fulfils his obligation in a timely fashion and you back out you lose your deposit whether its $500 or $5000. Sure hope you word means more when you give it to someone - other than a car dealer!!!!

Now my word has to mean something when it comes to car dealers. When have you heard of a car dealer being truly honest. Think about it they make a living off of your money. I've had 6 new cars in 2 years and I purchased 3 from a neighborhood dealer. When I approached him about Mustang X-plan he laughed in my face. So my word has to mean something. PLEEEEEEEEASE. So I placed my 2nd order and even was HONEST with him saying I have a deposit already with another dealer and he guaranteed me a GT in 60 days. Do you really think I will get it. Probably not. Lets see if his WORD means anything. The only guy you can trust is ISELLFORDS.
Old 8/23/05, 09:32 PM
GT Member

I ordered Sonic blue in early Feb. Nobody ahead of me at the dealer. They gave me priority 12 & kept getting other customers cars ahead of mine. After 5 months I called & asked them what color 06 they ordered for me. They said they didn't order me an 06 because they didn't have any allocation. About 2 weeks later I bought one off of another lot. It took them 4 days to decide to give me my money back!

If you think you are getting stroked---- you're probably getting stroked.

I agree with Scott, order from ISELLFORD & pay the drop charge to the dealer that is stroking you!
Old 8/23/05, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AB05GT@August 23, 2005, 9:19 PM
What planet do you live on, man? There's no "jerk around" alert going off the second you speak to a less than honest dealer. It takes time, valuable TIME, to find out if you're getting screwed. Heck, some people don't know their car is sold out from under them until it ARRIVES!

Don't get personal and question my "word." I don't become dishonest unless someone lies to me. Any person on this forum with an ounce on sense, including yourself, would go to another dealership and order again if they felt their first dealership was trying to sell the car out from under them for a higher price which, by the way, is also perfectly legal (sans a legal binding contract).

It's very simple: if a dealership is dishonest with me and I feel my interests are legitimatly threatened, I will take whatever business action necessary to protect my interests. Any sane person would do the same thing.
Old 8/24/05, 05:56 AM
Cobra Member

The dealership you back out of the order with will likely be happy, since they will keep the car as a prioritized customer order and sell it at sticker price or above when it arrives. I've been in this situation before due to a screwed up order. They sold the car above sticker by the next day.
Old 8/24/05, 06:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

I talked to a local dealer about this very thing. They said that they cannot keep the deposit unless I buy the car, plain and simple.

Even if the car arrives and everything looks good, but I decide I want to buy a 350Z instead, I still get my deposit back. This week or next, I'm going to be placing another order, even though I'm first in line at the first dealer I ordered with. I've been first in line for 3 months now and haven't gotten pulled. I'm getting screwed!
Old 8/24/05, 08:07 PM
GT Member

The problem you do have is you can only use 1 x-plan pin # a year! The dealer you ordered from will have to release your pin #.
Old 8/24/05, 08:35 PM
GT Member

I thought it was 2 per year. It doesn't matter anyway I'm going to cancel as soon as one gets pulled.
Old 8/24/05, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Ugly Ernie@August 24, 2005, 10:10 PM
The problem you do have is you can only use 1 x-plan pin # a year! The dealer you ordered from will have to release your pin #.
Dealer doesn't lock in the pin number until you write up the purchase order.