2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

A/C Cyling Issues (not low Freon)

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/06, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Cyling Issues (not low Freon)

I own a 06 GT with less then 5k and has been to the shop for a A/C problem / issue that Ford describes as “normal operation”. My problem began in June when the temperature outside forced me to use the A/C system. So I’m driving down the interstate and the compressor starts to cycle every 5-7 seconds. I figured she was low on Freon. Took it into the shop and they said yep, someone forgot to tighten a fitting. About a week later I driving down the interstate and she starts to cycle every 5-7 seconds again. So I took it right back and sure enough the accumulator was leaking and so they replaced that. Got it back and the next day it was still cycling. So third times a charm right? They forgot to tighten a Schrader valve.

So after I got it back it started cycling again and I decided to take it another dealership due to obvious reasons. The new dealership told me that the Freon level was correct and that Ford put a de-icing switch in the evaporator to keep the coils from freezing. This causes the A/C system to cycle or ‘quick cycle’ on high humidity days. So I went back to the original dealership that I purchased the car from and they told me the same thing. We even got in a 07 GT and the car did the same thing as mine. My problem is the system cycles all the time. Hot or Cold and 10 seconds after you start the motor.

Is anyone else out there experiencing the A/C system cycling every 5-7 seconds either when driving or when idling about 1,500 rpm? I don’t feel this issue is correct and nor believe what they are telling me.

The problem is driving me and my wife nuts. She thinks I’m obsessed over this and I even had some dude yell out at me at a stop light saying “better get your Freon level checked before you break something”. And that’s my point. The clutches in the compressor have to be working over time to keep up with cycling issue. I’ve hooked up a set of gages and sure enough the system if fully charged.

I would appreciate any help. I only have a few hairs left in my head. Thanks, Eric
Old 8/14/06, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe that unfortunately this is normal. Mine cycles often as well.
Old 8/14/06, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
I notice it when the defroster's on, but not when it's just on full duty A/C.
Old 8/23/06, 12:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
even if A/C is not used if just a fan is on it will cycle and click alot , so I just set the selecter to off and no more noise. now if only my X had that switch.
Old 8/23/06, 04:33 PM
V6 Member

Mine does it as well. Whether it's on AC or fan (hot or cold).

And it's funny. I never noticed it until I bought this car, but I've started noticing the same sound coming from other cars that I pull up next to at red lights and stuff. I guess you just don't pay attention to it until you hear it on your own car.
Old 8/24/06, 12:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
It might be the sound of yours echoing off their car. I've noticed that before. Interesting that you get the same noise regardless of whether it's on or not, because mine only clicks when it's on A/C or defroster. When it's just on the vent or heat it's fine.
Old 8/24/06, 07:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine is the same, if i don't have the a/c or defrost on, it makes "0" noise.
Old 8/26/06, 10:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

its IS normal its just something you have to deal with or jsut dont use the A/C
Old 8/27/06, 08:07 AM
GT Member

I have the reverse I have never heard or felt mine cycle and the system is so cold you have to and some warm air to be comfortable. I am not complaining. When I recevied it was low on charge , poor performance so the recharged it and now freezing and no cycling that I Know of. By the way it is a 06 Gt.