Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Broken Plug - SP547

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/24, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Plug - SP547

Alright, I知 sure you致e had to extract a broken plug (or 8) at some point. I知 aware of the Lisle tool and I think I follow directions pretty well. However, the videos demonstrating how to extract the broken plugs all have plugs with ceramic inside the metal sleeve. For my situation, when I pulled the plug, the ceramic was still intact, but the metal sleeve was wedged down in the head.

im assuming the Lisle extraction tool uses the ceramic material to thread into, which offers a good grip when extracting the broke plug. Since all there is in my situation is the metal sleeve I知 not sure how I値l catch on when trying to extract the plug.

I literally don稚 know any other options to remove this **** thing, other than pulling the heads. So please, experts tap in!! Thank you
Old 5/8/24, 12:56 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,979 Posts
Welcome!

Perhaps This Thread Will Help!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ite-up-522706/

KC
Old 5/8/24, 01:17 PM

Not related

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Welcome!

Perhaps This Thread Will Help!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ite-up-522706/

KC
Good thread, but it doesn稚 relate specifically to my situation.
Old 5/8/24, 04:14 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,656 Posts
Originally Posted by chadztaylor
Alright, I’m sure you’ve had to extract a broken plug (or 8) at some point. I’m aware of the Lisle tool and I think I follow directions pretty well. However, the videos demonstrating how to extract the broken plugs all have plugs with ceramic inside the metal sleeve. For my situation, when I pulled the plug, the ceramic was still intact, but the metal sleeve was wedged down in the head.

im assuming the Lisle extraction tool uses the ceramic material to thread into, which offers a good grip when extracting the broke plug. Since all there is in my situation is the metal sleeve I’m not sure how I’ll catch on when trying to extract the plug.

I literally don’t know any other options to remove this **** thing, other than pulling the heads. So please, experts tap in!! Thank you
There is one other spark plug removal tool which is similar to the Lisle tool... It's called the OTC 6918 Ford 3v spark plug remover kit... Perhaps the OTC tool has a part included which is able to thread into the metal sleeve portion of the spark plug that is wedged down inside the head... If not? then you may have no other option, but to pull the head... Attachment link is provided below.

https://www.otctools.com/products/fo...-kit-triton-3v

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/8/24 at 04:15 PM.
Old 5/9/24, 12:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

When my plugs broke the metal was in the head, and the ceramic came out intact. The Lisle tool worked just fine to get the metal out. Do your plug(s) look like these?

The tool I used:
Amazon.com: Lisle 65600 Broken Plug Remover for Ford : Everything Else Amazon.com: Lisle 65600 Broken Plug Remover for Ford : Everything Else

Last edited by mrkabc; 5/9/24 at 12:32 AM.
Old 5/10/24, 07:00 AM

My plugs look different

Originally Posted by mrkabc

When my plugs broke the metal was in the head, and the ceramic came out intact. The Lisle tool worked just fine to get the metal out. Do your plug(s) look like these?

The tool I used: Amazon.com: Lisle 65600 Broken Plug Remover for Ford : Everything Else
No mine looked different. Only the tip of the electrode was showing. Was there any ceramic at all inside the meta sleeve?
Old 5/11/24, 12:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
No mine looked different. Only the tip of the electrode was showing. Was there any ceramic at all inside the meta sleeve?
Oh, then yours broke differently than mine did. IIRC there wasn't any ceramic left inside, just the metal piece that you see to the left in the pictures. That is what the tool pulled out. Ouch.
Old 5/11/24, 07:22 AM

Broken plug

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Oh, then yours broke differently than mine did. IIRC there wasn't any ceramic left inside, just the metal piece that you see to the left in the pictures. That is what the tool pulled out. Ouch.
this is what my plug looks like whenI pulled it. the metal sleeve is stuck in the head.

Old 5/11/24, 09:56 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,979 Posts
@chadztaylor

I am Looking At the Ford TSB Mode 1 Instructions Using The Ford Tool and it Seems to Me That is Exactly The Situation You Have??? I Crossed Out Any Mode 2 or Mode 3 Instructions.

That's My Two Cents Worth a Look!

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB MODE 1.pdf (3.34 MB, 24 views)
Old 5/11/24, 12:05 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,656 Posts
this is what my plug looks like whenI pulled it. the metal sleeve is stuck in the head.
The Lisle broken spark plug tool should still be able to tap into the metal sleeve portion and extract it...