Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Don't they make autos for girls??
Nope, that's what the stick is for
Old 5/14/07, 11:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Guys, I had always heard (and thought I'd read here as well) that a properly driven manual is faster than the automatic...due to: 1) Better launch capability and, 2) less weight....not trying to start a war here - but this is the 1st time I've read that all things be equal an auto was faster
No I agree with you. A stick with the right driver will beat an auto.
Old 5/19/07, 08:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
To answer your question the brake rev trick is where you hold down the brake and rev up the engine...then take off.
The auto is fast. The GT 5 speed is fast. How do we settle? The best 2 out of 3 at the local dragstip 1/4 mile will decide. I have driven autos all my like a 1983 mustang, a 1986 mustang and a heavily modified 11 second 1991 LX Convertible with a C-4 auto and stall converter. My 07 GT/CS is my first 5-speed performance car. What a difference. More control and more power. The 1/4 mile test will decide. The best 2 out of 3 because to drive a stick you have t o be precise, you miss a gear and you loose. With an auto with no stall converter, you basically ease on the gas and go. 2 out 3 will decide the dilema. Nuff said
Old 5/27/07, 09:48 AM
GT Member

fwiw...7400 miles on the CS and finally got the lack of thought down to turning off the TCS...got an automatic (after driving manuals from 17 to 45) 'cause the left knee didn't want to keep its cartiledge and this is a daily driver...anywho, no build up, just a punch down and it wiggled, squirmed and pinstriped the pavement for about 11 feet...same trick with the TCS on and still got the wiggle, double chirp just no pinstriping...this is..unfortunately...still a CS CS (completely stock)...shifts hold right to the redline before they snap off...pretty impressive...reaction time is gonna be the difference in a stick vs. auto just about anytime all other things being equal..when I drove manual, go caught off-guard more than once by a well-driven auto...that second and a fraction it takes to sink in is all it takes to lose the advantage...
Old 6/2/07, 10:44 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but I would never buy an auto for a performance car. I like the control of the shift, the manual is cheaper, and ifthe auto goes out, its a BIG TIME expense to replace. Just my .02

I do however have a better appreciation for the Mustang auto trans since joining this forum.
Old 6/2/07, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by oulexicon
Just my personal opinion, but I would never buy an auto for a performance car. I like the control of the shift, the manual is cheaper, and ifthe auto goes out, its a BIG TIME expense to replace. Just my .02

I do however have a better appreciation for the Mustang auto trans since joining this forum.
I agree with you if I would have bought my stang for the race track where you need more control. However, I bought it for everyday driving and the auto is heavenly when in heavy traffic.
Old 6/11/07, 09:53 AM
Cobra Member

A stick is faster with the right driver, but an auto is more consistent. Typically autos are more popular with the drag guys because it's a lot easier to launch and shift consistently.

By the way, I hear comments on these forums now and then about how bad you need an auto in heavy traffic. The Mustang is about as easy a car to shift as any I've driven. I drive in heavy traffic all the time and it is not an issue. I mean, more power to anyone that wants an auto, but I wouldn't let some traffic stop me from enjoying the feel and sound of manual shifting
Old 6/11/07, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
A stick is faster with the right driver, but an auto is more consistent. Typically autos are more popular with the drag guys because it's a lot easier to launch and shift consistently.

By the way, I hear comments on these forums now and then about how bad you need an auto in heavy traffic. The Mustang is about as easy a car to shift as any I've driven. I drive in heavy traffic all the time and it is not an issue. I mean, more power to anyone that wants an auto, but I wouldn't let some traffic stop me from enjoying the feel and sound of manual shifting
Bottom line: I think I'm getting old. It never bothered me having a manual when I was younger...didn't even face me...but now I want to be comfortable...I think that's something that comes with age. On weekends I take the hawg out and don't care about shifting or the bugs or anything else...that's on weekends, but during the week I want to get to work in a lazy boy...well, a lazy boy with torque...
Old 6/11/07, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Al;
Agreed, I think age does migrate one to an auto, it did in my case, but I saved that for my truck (Sport Trac). Mustangs,...to me,... part of the fun of ownership is a stick to go along with all that torque.....but that's me.
Old 6/12/07, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Age does play a part, I had an uncle, though, who had a heavy chevy chevelle with a rock crusher until he was in his early 70's...I still love a manual (all I drove from 16 to 46) but no meniscus and late stage 3 arthritis makes daily driving in city traffic not enjoyable...during the peak of season here in SW Florida, there were days when I could hardly put wait on it...God bless ibuprofen and prescription pain killers...there's still the bike though, and the toy purchase will be a manual when it happens....
Old 6/13/07, 07:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nope, that's what the stick is for
Old 6/13/07, 08:30 AM

Maybe the new generation of automanuals (DSG, SMG, etc), as opposed to manually controlled autos, would be the best of both worlds -- the speed, power and efficiency of a manual (plus <250 msec. shift times!) when driven in anger plus the ease of an auto when driving in geezer mode.

I've generally been a big row-your-own guy when it comes to shifting, but these new DSG-type trannies really seem to represent an significant advancement on nearly all fronts. Sure, they'd be some nostalgia value lost with the demise of the clutch pedal, as there was with the demise of the hand crank and choke lever, but so much more to be gained in speed, control and efficiency that far outweighs that. I really think they're the wave of the future and will eventually supplant both traditional auto and manual trannies, a big incentive for manufacturers right there to get on the bandwagon.

A DSG-type trannies advantages might be somewhat more modest in simple, drag-style situations (though hacking of a 1/4-second+ per shift out to count for something) but really shine in more complex and challenging driving endeavors such as a brisk run through some serpentine back roads.
Old 6/13/07, 02:27 PM
V6 Member

Just FYI, my 75 year old grandmother's last two cars have been an automatic Miata and an automatic Celica GT. She doesn't know how to drive a stick, but her spirit is certainly still there. lol
Old 6/14/07, 01:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by oulexicon
Just FYI, my 75 year old grandmother's last two cars have been an automatic Miata and an automatic Celica GT. She doesn't know how to drive a stick, but her spirit is certainly still there. lol
FYI, jet fighters have evolved to fly by wire, and pilots are able to fly, otherwise, unstable aircraft. Fly by wire removes any erroneous inputs that the pilot may make. I think the day where the auto outperforms the stick is coming. These new trannies are sure a lot better than they used to be.
Old 6/14/07, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Outperforms

FYI, jet fighters have evolved to fly by wire, and pilots are able to fly, otherwise, unstable aircraft. Fly by wire removes any erroneous inputs that the pilot may make. I think the day where the auto outperforms the stick is coming. These new trannies are sure a lot better than they used to be.
A auto outperforms a stick, that day is here.
Old 6/14/07, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Faster

Faster no way.
Old 6/14/07, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Right driver

No I agree with you. A stick with the right driver will beat an auto.
I have not seen that diver yet??
Old 6/17/07, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

+1 I drive in heavy traffic everyday, and the S197 MT is easy to use. I bought it because I plan to autocross/road race, and the manual affords more control (no unplanned up/down shifts). Plus, the MT has less driveline loss than the auto, just because of the way the auto works, which is why vehicle manufacturers are developing the DSG/automated manual trannys. 13-15% driveline loss for MT's, and 18-20% driveline loss for Auto's, although the S197 tranny is more efficient than other contemporary auto tranny's.

Originally Posted by rhumb
Maybe the new generation of automanuals (DSG, SMG, etc), as opposed to manually controlled autos, would be the best of both worlds -- the speed, power and efficiency of a manual (plus <250 msec. shift times!) when driven in anger plus the ease of an auto when driving in geezer mode.

I've generally been a big row-your-own guy when it comes to shifting, but these new DSG-type trannies really seem to represent an significant advancement on nearly all fronts. Sure, they'd be some nostalgia value lost with the demise of the clutch pedal, as there was with the demise of the hand crank and choke lever, but so much more to be gained in speed, control and efficiency that far outweighs that. I really think they're the wave of the future and will eventually supplant both traditional auto and manual trannies, a big incentive for manufacturers right there to get on the bandwagon.

A DSG-type trannies advantages might be somewhat more modest in simple, drag-style situations (though hacking of a 1/4-second+ per shift out to count for something) but really shine in more complex and challenging driving endeavors such as a brisk run through some serpentine back roads.
I posit that the reason you were ahead was in part due to the normal distribution of the power produced by these mass- produced engines.... some will be in the upper 2 standard deviations, and some will be in the 2 lower SD's. When I drove a brand new 07 GT to detemine if it had the same problem as my 07 GTCS w/400 miles on it (driveline vibration at 67 mph), that car with the MT and 3.55's just like mine felt considerably weaker. While test driving different '07's at different dealers, a MT 3.55-geared Vista Blue felt weaker (on the same day) to a 07 GTCS with MT and 3.31s. Some autop tranny';s are al;so more efficient than others, as are some MT's, so the right combo of engine and auto tranny vs the wrong combo of engine and manual tranny will be faster.
Old 6/17/07, 04:30 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DANNY
I have not seen that diver yet??
Do you want me to send you my picture? I've got the timeslips.
Old 6/17/07, 05:55 PM
GT Member

some will be in the upper 2 standard deviations, and some will be in the 2 lower SD's.
Man, this site has become technical! I hope mine in in the upper 2 SD'S.

Quick Reply: Black GT against my CS