2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempt to fix Stepper Motor gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/14, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Attempt to fix Stepper Motor gone wrong?

I attempted to put in a new stepper motor for my speedometer... desoldered the olde one and soldered in a new one. I went to check if it worked and I got nothing from the instrument panel... no lights (tach, speedometer, seat belt light, etc.). The alarm went on and the front/back/interior lights were all blinking and the alarm was going off...

My question is, could this be something simple, like maybe I didnt solder the new stepper motor good enough (so just apply more solder) or did I potentially screw something up big time.

I am not an expert at soldering by any means, but I feel that I was careful when I desoldered the old stepper motor and put in the new one.

Any input for what to look for?
Old 1/23/14, 11:39 PM

I was using a watt soldering iron and I was using 62/36/2 Silver-Bearing Solder from Radio Shack, if that helps
Old 1/24/14, 12:11 AM

OK scratch that... just checked the connection and found that the latch to release the gauge wiring to the main electrical was not secured all the way. Hopefully tomorrow when I give it a drive, the speedometer will be good to go! I did notice that the tach appeared to be way off when I just started it up though...
Old 1/24/14, 06:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
I love when the OP fixes his problem before anyone can post a helpful solution. LOL I do hope you had the battery disconnected when you were working on this project?
Old 2/11/14, 10:22 PM

Everything worked out fine... So I decided to get into some other stuff... Hopefully didnt mess anything up too bad. Switched out LEDs which seemed to go fine cause they all light up fine, but also decided to add AAI-FRD-04 aux mod to the shaker 500.

Ran into issue where car wouldnt start, popped clutch to start it... 5 min drive noticed the airbag light was on in the gauge cluster. I forgot to reconnect it earlier... Explained that. But looking at other wires, the electrical tape seemed gooey. The wires must be heating up, so I am trying to get some help on figuring what I did wrong. Opened another post...

I am going to look at fuses tomorrow and undo the AAI FRD-04 aux... Any additional help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 2/11/14, 10:32 PM

BTW I hooked up the aux piece to the cigarette lighter power... Crimped it in for both - and + black wire from lighter to the aux negative and other wire to positive. So any help on what to fix , as I dont want to melt wirin, would be aporeciated.

Right now, car starts, radio works (i unhooked the auxilary AAI unit from its harness and unhooked the car battery for the night).

Check fuses tomorrow? Undo the wiring on the aux add on (figure this is the issue)

Suggestions? I opened up another posting..
Old 2/12/14, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That acc. plug is hot all the time......not activated by the key if my old memory is correct. That could be a issue.
Old 2/14/14, 12:54 AM

The AAI-FRD-04 says to hook into a 12V constant. It has an auto shutoff after like 10 minutes they say.

Wires were not hot to the touch yesterday when I ran the car for like 2 10 minute idling sessions. Today everything started up fine... had one weird thing when I replaced my final LED and then inserted the cluster gauge back in. The cluster flashed when I locked the door (manually). I hopped back in the car, started it fine. Locked it again and it flashed again. Strange, but it only did it those two times.

After that I took it for a little drive... everything appeared to be ok, aside from doing auto window up (passenger side went about 75% of way up then went back down automatically). I read that if you hold the button down for a few seconds each way, it resets the window. That seemed to work.

Guess I will take it day by day and see if things start acting strange.