2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Anyone who works at a dealership on here?

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/09, 09:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL COMMENTS!!!

I PM'ed Bryan back. He CAN transfer the warranty for a $75 fee. Anyone can do that to their cars they purchase pre-owned by going to the local dealer and talking to the Finance officer there.

If anyone needs to see if they have coverage on their cars, PM me your VIN and I'll see what it may have.

Thank you all again. I love this site and love helping everyone here.
Old 9/25/09, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The saga contiunes...... I just got off the phone with the finance manager at my local dealership. He tells me I must somehow contact the original owner of the car and have him/her contact his local FORD dealer and request transfer the warranty to me after one of us pays a $50 fee. He suggested I call CARMAX and ask them to help me figure out how to get the ball rolling on this

UPDATE #2

Just called FORD ESP directly. They told me the only way to transfer this warranty to me, would have been for me to buy the car from the original owner, not via another car lot (CARMAX). He said contacting the original owner and having hi/her transfer this to me might work, but that's not the way the transfer of warranty is written. I guess i'll try CARMAX now and see what they suggest

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 9/25/09 at 12:05 PM.
Old 9/25/09, 01:11 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Be Persistant. It will Pay off in the Long Run. Btw Jeff did you pull Warranty History on the Vehicle and see if the Tank has already been replaced??

KC
Old 9/25/09, 01:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I work at a Ford dealership. The ESP can only be xferred from the person who bought the ESP to someone who buys the car from him/her. If the car is traded in to a dealership, it can no longer be xferred.

Worth noting, even if madscotsman could magically get this particular ESP xferred, it's only a powertrain warranty which would not cover the fuel tank issue anyway - it would only cover powertrain items. But, it can't be xferred anyway, so it's really a moot point.

If madscotsman wants to buy an ESP, though, he can. Recently, Ford started making ESP's available for purchase after the factory warranty runs out, which is a big change from prior policy (you used to have to buy an ESP before the warranty ran out if you bought the car new, or if the car was used you had to buy the ESP at the time you bought the used car). However, Ford only allows the sale of an ESP on an out-of-warranty car if a certified Ford dealership does a buyer's inspection to rule out pre-existing conditions so the car has a clean bill of health.

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 9/25/09 at 01:21 PM.
Old 9/25/09, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the help, I've exhausted all routes. Spoke with Ford and Carmax and got nowhere with either (Unless the original owner lived in Kentucky where apparently CARMAX could contact them or provide me with their information since they still live in the stone age with no identity protection laws LOL). I could only hope to magically get in contact with the original owner (Just have a name), and that they would be willing to transfer it to me if I paid the fee. I was really wanting to get the already existing ESP for the motor and transmission since the previous owner paid for it. I wouldn't even mind if he/she decided to get some of his/her money back from FORD by canceling the thing. Seems silly to have him/her waste $$$ on a warranty for a car they don't own, and nobody gets any benefit other than FORD ($$$).

For the record, my car is an 06 with 31K on it so I still have the factory warranty (Until November 09anyways). I was told that based on my build date, I have the newly designed gas tank. My dealership told me they would still look at it under warranty and make sure nothing is obstructing the filler neck, but I should just try a different gas station (Funny, I have been taking it to that, the only, BP gas station around here for over a year now without any issues......You know, the one FORD recommends on the gas cap...LOL). Wondering why this just started happening after 1.5 years of ownership.

Thanks again for everyone's help, you guys have been great

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 9/25/09 at 04:55 PM.
Old 9/25/09, 05:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I work at a Ford dealership. The ESP can only be xferred from the person who bought the ESP to someone who buys the car from him/her. If the car is traded in to a dealership, it can no longer be xferred.

Worth noting, even if madscotsman could magically get this particular ESP xferred, it's only a powertrain warranty which would not cover the fuel tank issue anyway - it would only cover powertrain items. But, it can't be xferred anyway, so it's really a moot point.

If madscotsman wants to buy an ESP, though, he can. Recently, Ford started making ESP's available for purchase after the factory warranty runs out, which is a big change from prior policy (you used to have to buy an ESP before the warranty ran out if you bought the car new, or if the car was used you had to buy the ESP at the time you bought the used car). However, Ford only allows the sale of an ESP on an out-of-warranty car if a certified Ford dealership does a buyer's inspection to rule out pre-existing conditions so the car has a clean bill of health.
Brian, the whole transfer thing you stated isn't true. Its still transferrable from one owner to the next. If the person trading the car in, leaves it active, to add value to his trade, its transferrable to the next owner for a fee. We still do it and ESP signs off on it. We just did it with a Ford Freestyle a few weeks ago. It was bought from us new and traded in to us. The previous owner kept the ESP on it, to add more value to the trade in and the next person who bought it, got the warranty as we transferred it for free (we always transfer ESPs for no-charge, when your buying the car).

Last edited by 05fordgt; 9/25/09 at 05:49 PM.
Old 9/26/09, 04:53 AM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my car had a ford powertrain warranty that i didnt know about until it was too late. my car needs an engine and the warranty was in place for the original owner. i had the car for a year and i transferred it just last week becuase the dealer did not mention it when i bought it. and yester day i went online and bought the premium warranty 3years or 60k for $1115.00 thats 600.00 cheeper than what the dealers quoted me from three different dealerships. this is a ford warranty too by the way. i called and got this done straight through ford to cut out the middle man. jeff you were a big help on my other issue too but the way....
Old 9/26/09, 06:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by DEPUTY62
my car had a ford powertrain warranty that i didnt know about until it was too late. my car needs an engine and the warranty was in place for the original owner. i had the car for a year and i transferred it just last week becuase the dealer did not mention it when i bought it. and yester day i went online and bought the premium warranty 3years or 60k for $1115.00 thats 600.00 cheeper than what the dealers quoted me from three different dealerships. this is a ford warranty too by the way. i called and got this done straight through ford to cut out the middle man. jeff you were a big help on my other issue too but the way....
Glad to help bud.
Old 9/26/09, 09:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
Thanks for all the help, I've exhausted all routes. Spoke with Ford and Carmax and got nowhere with either (Unless the original owner lived in Kentucky where apparently CARMAX could contact them or provide me with their information since they still live in the stone age with no identity protection laws LOL). I could only hope to magically get in contact with the original owner (Just have a name), and that they would be willing to transfer it to me if I paid the fee. I was really wanting to get the already existing ESP for the motor and transmission since the previous owner paid for it. I wouldn't even mind if he/she decided to get some of his/her money back from FORD by canceling the thing. Seems silly to have him/her waste $$$ on a warranty for a car they don't own, and nobody gets any benefit other than FORD ($$$).

For the record, my car is an 06 with 31K on it so I still have the factory warranty (Until November 09anyways). I was told that based on my build date, I have the newly designed gas tank. My dealership told me they would still look at it under warranty and make sure nothing is obstructing the filler neck, but I should just try a different gas station (Funny, I have been taking it to that, the only, BP gas station around here for over a year now without any issues......You know, the one FORD recommends on the gas cap...LOL). Wondering why this just started happening after 1.5 years of ownership.

Thanks again for everyone's help, you guys have been great
Just some fuel for thought... it's possible the station that has been working for you could have replaced nozzles on the pump(s). The ones that worked for you in the past may not exist any more. I like topping my tanks off to the top of the filler neck to get that extra couple of gallons in, so i'm always on the lookout for a nozzle that will let me do that. Not many do. Trying different pumps and/or station is not bad idea.
Old 9/26/09, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Brian, the whole transfer thing you stated isn't true. Its still transferrable from one owner to the next. If the person trading the car in, leaves it active, to add value to his trade, its transferrable to the next owner for a fee. We still do it and ESP signs off on it. We just did it with a Ford Freestyle a few weeks ago. It was bought from us new and traded in to us. The previous owner kept the ESP on it, to add more value to the trade in and the next person who bought it, got the warranty as we transferred it for free (we always transfer ESPs for no-charge, when your buying the car).
We've always transferred CPO coverages because that stays with the car, not the person, but I've never personally transferred an ESP because we always tell the original customer to cancel their ESP at trade-in time so that they get the pro-rated refund - thus adding value for them (not the next customer). But, it's nice to learn that transferring an ESP is possible on trade-in's. Thanks, Jeff.
Old 9/26/09, 12:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
We've always transferred CPO coverages because that stays with the car, not the person, but I've never personally transferred an ESP because we always tell the original customer to cancel their ESP at trade-in time so that they get the pro-rated refund - thus adding value for them (not the next customer). But, it's nice to learn that transferring an ESP is possible on trade-in's. Thanks, Jeff.
No worries bud. We give extra money on trade-ins that have a current Ford ESP still active. We give them what they would get if they cancelled them and got the pro-rated refund. Its a win-win as they get more off the new car and less tax to be paid and we get a car that has a good backing in regards to warranty.
Old 9/26/09, 12:44 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Kudos to Jeff again...in the last 4 yrs I spent waaaay too much time in the various mustang/ford forums, and can only think of a few other guys like him that were so helpful to so many relative strangers...Kzinti over at blueoval that gave us all the build info we ever coulda asked for, Carlos Medina at gary yeomans that sat up drop shipped cars from florida dealer with bigtime allocations to mustang poor areas like ohio in the winter, tacobill in here with all the elaborate tech info, 05stangkc with info/parts/prices- and new stuff coming out before it hits the mainstream, and of course, Brad that runs this site- always 'first run' info on here a more of a sense of community than about anywhere else on the web- how many sites have you visited where 90% or more of the posts are one sentence or so- this place is loaded with REAL conversations and tons of knowledge AND helpful folks...

I'm sure Ive missed a few, but guys like Jeff and these others really helped out a ton of folks just for the sake of helpin out.

so... thanks!
Tim

Last edited by ford4v429; 9/26/09 at 12:55 PM.
Old 9/27/09, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very new to the forum but I completely agree with Ford4v429. This forum is the ultimate information and DIY site with a real sense of brotherhood for all mustang owners.
Old 9/30/09, 09:31 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
On a side Note My Very Late 07 Build Shelby does not like certain gas Stations in regards to the Pop Back Issue. I have noticed that when I am in a Hurry and try to Pump Right After Pressing my Octane Choice the Problem is more frequent. That is to say I usually do not have Problems if I wait 15-20 Seconds after Activating to give the Pump Time to stabilize before Pulling the Nozzle. It's worth a Shot.

KC