V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light from an 07 Saleen / PJ
Attached Thumbnails Anyone notice the 07 headlights?-39-small.jpg  
Old 3/28/07, 06:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by steevr
Here's a pic I posted when the '07's first came out.

Rob, whose kit did you go with?
I grabbed the kit visionbulbs.com for the H13s. I'll see how the work out. With the discount they were running they ended up right around $200. If they don't work they way I want them to I'll probably retrofit a projector lens from my cache of BMW headlight parts. I figured I would try the easy road first.
Old 3/28/07, 06:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I dig the design but not the bar in front of the lamps.
Old 3/28/07, 07:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, i also noticed the removal of the bulb sheild!
Old 3/28/07, 10:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone with an 07 who's going the HID route and wants a set of 05 headlights, I'll trade The bulb covers on mine are distorted from the heat of the bulb (the stock bulb, mind you) and the dealership actually said they would replace them both under warranty. However I'm not too comfortable with them having to remove the front fascia to replace the headlamp assemblies. If anyone is interested for real, I can take pics.
Old 3/28/07, 10:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe that is why the shields were removed?
Old 3/28/07, 02:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Desoter_Stang
HID has nothing to do with "blue" head lights, HID has to do with adding more usable light to the road. The color of the light produced is rated on the kelvin scale and is refered to as "color temp". For example a bright sunny day is aprox 4500k on the scale, an over cast but bright day is around 6000k, the clouds fliter out the red end of the spectrum. 6000k is considered to be "pure white" once you move above 6000k the light begins to shift to the blue end of the spectrum in say 8000k bulbs produce a slightly blue light. Some folks go as far as 12000k or 14000k which give you a purple light.

As far as the more light part of the HID bulb goes here is some more info. A standard halogen bulb is 55 watt low and 60 watt high, these bulbs produce 18 lumens per watt this includes high end bulbs as well assuming they are 55/60 watt bulbs. A HID bulb produces 72 lumens per watt and most HID bulbs are either 35 watt or 42 watt. Doing some quick math reveals that a halogen bulb produces 990 lumens a 35 watt HID 2520 lumens and a 42 watt HID 3024 lumens. Way more light for your money a 35 watt HID bulb produces 2.5 times the usable light that a halogen bulb does. It also produces less heat and tend to last 10 times longer as there is no filament to wear out.

The down side used to be that HID bulbs did not have a high/low beam built in so in car with 2 head light bulb setups like our beloved 05 and up stangs you gave up high beams. However there are new HID bulbs that move the bulb in the socket which adjusts the angle of reflection and gives you high beams.

I recently installed one of these HID high/low kits in my 05 and the night time driving difference is amazing. I had to adjust my lights down a bit due to glare, the install was a snap as the system is self contained and just needs signal from your factory harnes for on/off high/low.

I hope this helps clear up some of the myths about HID lights.
Know all about it I've owned a couple and driven quite a few cars with them, its a waste of money. Lot of 'theoretical' light information as when you drive with them they do not see nearly as clearly into the woods along roads and sometimes distort the colors a bit, and on rainy nights with a lot of green foliage next to the road they are almost worthless. Most of the time if its wet out a wet sign post will be nearly impossible to see, the road signs just kinda 'float' there. If you ever drive a vehicle with HID mains(4600k factory style) and with halogen highbeams you will see what I mean. There is the 'neat looking straight cut off line for the light pattern that looks kinda blue' then pull the high-beam lever and its 'you can see where your going' settings.

They seem like they are fun to talk about, but driving with them for a while, they are just bling and annoy the crap out of oncoming drivers, especially motorcyclists. Pretty soon the number one reason for traffic deaths is going to be oncoming drivers blinded by hids while trying to work their nav systems and ipods.
Old 3/28/07, 04:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Know all about it I've owned a couple and driven quite a few cars with them, its a waste of money. Lot of 'theoretical' light information as when you drive with them they do not see nearly as clearly into the woods along roads and sometimes distort the colors a bit, and on rainy nights with a lot of green foliage next to the road they are almost worthless. Most of the time if its wet out a wet sign post will be nearly impossible to see, the road signs just kinda 'float' there. If you ever drive a vehicle with HID mains(4600k factory style) and with halogen highbeams you will see what I mean. There is the 'neat looking straight cut off line for the light pattern that looks kinda blue' then pull the high-beam lever and its 'you can see where your going' settings.

They seem like they are fun to talk about, but driving with them for a while, they are just bling and annoy the crap out of oncoming drivers, especially motorcyclists. Pretty soon the number one reason for traffic deaths is going to be oncoming drivers blinded by hids while trying to work their nav systems and ipods.
Maybe you just drove crappy examples? I can honestly say that when I made the switch with OEM BMW xenons the difference was amazing. I kind of live in the boonies so I can use any extra lighting I can get. There's just no comparison. Now, realize these are with projector lenses, so maybe there's a difference. I have no idea how a Mustang retrofit will work out without the lense to focus the beam. It might be crap. If adjusted properly, there shouldn't be any glare for oncoming drivers - cars, cycles or otherwise. To each his own I suppose...
Old 3/28/07, 04:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove one last night actually, an 04 M3
Old 3/28/07, 10:31 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Pretty soon the number one reason for traffic deaths is going to be oncoming drivers blinded by hids while trying to work their nav systems and ipods.

...while simultaneously talking on their cellphones and sipping their late-night lattes.

But seriously, last night, after playing with the stuff in the car I ordered, I can honestly say that the NAV system in the Stang - with the iPod interface - works exceptionally well, and is a nice bit of kit.
Old 3/28/07, 11:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I stopped by my dealer today to get my invoice (also found out mine just entered production )

here's an 07 headlight from the new ones in the back lot.
Attached Images