2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Any issues using Zaino around the rocker decal?

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/05, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I just ordered my mustang yesterday (v6 prem, redfire, IUP, exterior sport package), and I am planning on getting the Zaino products at some point to wax it. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the was caking up around the edges of the rocker panel decals. Do you wax right over them, or just up to the edges?
Old 4/8/05, 07:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Zaino's does not cake on anything. Yes you can go over the decals...
Old 4/8/05, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

check out my gallery:
http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/thu...s.php?album=31
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=20300
and look at what it did for my stripes and rocker panel stripe! what a difference I thought the stripe shined good first.
I did not try the Zaino on the black molding though I believe that it is not recommend for that type of material.
When I was shopping for a good wax I e-mailed Zaino and inquired about the use of this product on vinyl stripes and he gave me an enthustiastic go ahead.
The stuff is incredible!
Old 4/8/05, 08:22 AM

Where's a good place to buy this stuff?
Old 4/8/05, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

only on the web
http://www.zainostore.com/
Old 4/8/05, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the info Kevinv-6! Makes me want to get the zaino stuff even more!
Old 4/8/05, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

my pleasure. It is a really easy wax to apply and to buff off as well.
Old 4/8/05, 09:19 AM
GT Member

You can also get Zaino from local distributors - they usually match the price of Zainostore and I've heard of free delivery if you're close. (plus, some take paypal, which was good for me since I had a balance built up).

Back to the question at hand, I just made my second application (first back in early December). It held up well through the Ohio winter, and I've had no problems with emblems or trim on either application.
Old 4/8/05, 10:21 AM
V6 Member

I just did my first coat of Zaino last night and was pleasantly surprised that the ClayBar was mostly clean. The surface is of course squeaky clean now.
Old 4/8/05, 11:23 AM

Thanks for info!... Now to bother you a little more.....ordered a car for daughter(GT Vert, torch red) what's good to start....I'm a novice....obviously! Kinda overwhelming for me who just occasionally drives my car through the automatic car wash!
Old 4/8/05, 11:29 AM
GT Member

Well, you can't go to those anymore - seriously, the soap they use will take off the Zaino. You can only wash it using Zaino's soap, and by hand. For a starter's kit, I'd get:
Z1 (or ZFX)
Z2
Z6
Z7
applicator pad
and a couple of white 100% cotton, made in USA towels. I think there are guides on the zaino site about how to use the stuff, check those out. You will be surprised at how easy it goes on and comes off.
Old 4/8/05, 02:29 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a starters kit on the zainostore site. It also includes clay bars. Cost is approx $85. There is an even bigger kit for more $.

I just got the $85 kit this week, haven't had time to use it yet though.
I've got a black truck to try it out on first, then I'll be using it on the Mustang when it comes home next month.
Old 4/8/05, 03:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

go right over the stripes. Get the zaino show car kit for $120 bucks if you got eather seats. if not get the $80 kit. you can check out pics here after 1 coat of the Zaino wax on my black GT. ive got 4 coats on now and she is looknig 30x better than those pics.

Zaino Pics
Old 4/8/05, 08:00 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by TexasMom05@April 8, 2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks for info!... Now to bother you a little more.....ordered a car for daughter(GT Vert, torch red) what's good to start....I'm a novice....obviously! Kinda overwhelming for me who just occasionally drives my car through the automatic car wash!
If your gonna go the Zaino route then here is what you should get.

EXTERIOR:
Z-1 Show Car Polish Lok OR ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive

Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-7 Show Car Wash
Z-18 ClayBar

I think the key to the whole system is the first few steps..once you get those done all future cleaning/applications will enhance the shine. Here is what I think you should do.

1) Wash your car with a mixture of water and Dawn soap. Dawn is good to remove all wax from your car.
2) Dry your car
3) Get a new clean spray bottle (maybe 8 oz or 12 oz)..put in half a cap of Z-7 and the rest fill with water.
4) Spray a small section of your car with the spray mix to get lightly wet and then lightly glide the clay bar over that section in back and forth motions, preferrably with the grain of the car. Don't go in swirling motions. Every so often check the clay bar and if dirty then fold a few times and start again. Usually after I do a small section I will dry the area with a towel.
5) Once the whole car is done with the clay bar mix a bucket of water with Z-7...can't remember how much but its on their website...wash the whole car again.
6) Dry car
7) Apply Z-2 with ZFX or apply Z-1.
8) If Z-1 allow to dry...if ZFX/Z-2 mixture the area you first started with is probably already dry and you can buff off.....if you used Z-1 and once its dry buff off with towel and then apply Z-2...once that is dry buff off with towel.
9) In small sections use Z-6 and dry with towel.

I think the clay is the key...you want to get your suface as clean as possible before starting the Zaino process and you also for your first coat need to either use Z-1 first or the ZFX mixture system. You can find all the instructions on the zaino site.

Also...i'd reccomend 100% american made white towels...cut off the edges and have it sewn shut...the edges are a little rough and if your using that area it could scratch your car. When washing its a good idea to have 2 buckets...1 with your car wash mix and another with water...after you wash an area rinse your cleaning towel in the water first and then soap it up in the car wash mix.

For my towels i use all 100% american made, even my washing towels which are larger then normal...for those i have them folded over twice and when i notice an area thats beginning to get a little too soiled i refold the towel for a fresh new cleaning towel.....also, separate all your towels, meaning....always use the same ones for drying, washing, buffing....my towels that I use to remove Z-2/ZFX are spotless, wouldn't want some older towel that the wash didn't get some of the dirt out of otherwise you'll start creating scratches when you buff out anything.....

alright...i've gone off the deep end and need to stop...hold these were some starting points and/or suggestions.
Old 4/8/05, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

sounds like someone works for Zaino

Originally posted by KizerSoze+April 8, 2005, 9:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KizerSoze @ April 8, 2005, 9:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TexasMom05@April 8, 2005, 12:26 PM
If your gonna go the Zaino route then here is what you should get.

EXTERIOR:
Z-1 Show Car Polish Lok OR ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive

Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-7 Show Car Wash
Z-18 ClayBar

I think the key to the whole system is the first few steps..once you get those done all future cleaning/applications will enhance the shine. Here is what I think you should do.

1) Wash your car with a mixture of water and Dawn soap. Dawn is good to remove all wax from your car.
2) Dry your car
3) Get a new clean spray bottle (maybe 8 oz or 12 oz)..put in half a cap of Z-7 and the rest fill with water.
4) Spray a small section of your car with the spray mix to get lightly wet and then lightly glide the clay bar over that section in back and forth motions, preferrably with the grain of the car. Don't go in swirling motions. Every so often check the clay bar and if dirty then fold a few times and start again. Usually after I do a small section I will dry the area with a towel.
5) Once the whole car is done with the clay bar mix a bucket of water with Z-7...can't remember how much but its on their website...wash the whole car again.
6) Dry car
7) Apply Z-2 with ZFX or apply Z-1.
8) If Z-1 allow to dry...if ZFX/Z-2 mixture the area you first started with is probably already dry and you can buff off.....if you used Z-1 and once its dry buff off with towel and then apply Z-2...once that is dry buff off with towel.
9) In small sections use Z-6 and dry with towel.

I think the clay is the key...you want to get your suface as clean as possible before starting the Zaino process and you also for your first coat need to either use Z-1 first or the ZFX mixture system. You can find all the instructions on the zaino site.

Also...i'd reccomend 100% american made white towels...cut off the edges and have it sewn shut...the edges are a little rough and if your using that area it could scratch your car. When washing its a good idea to have 2 buckets...1 with your car wash mix and another with water...after you wash an area rinse your cleaning towel in the water first and then soap it up in the car wash mix.

For my towels i use all 100% american made, even my washing towels which are larger then normal...for those i have them folded over twice and when i notice an area thats beginning to get a little too soiled i refold the towel for a fresh new cleaning towel.....also, separate all your towels, meaning....always use the same ones for drying, washing, buffing....my towels that I use to remove Z-2/ZFX are spotless, wouldn't want some older towel that the wash didn't get some of the dirt out of otherwise you'll start creating scratches when you buff out anything.....

alright...i've gone off the deep end and need to stop...hold these were some starting points and/or suggestions.
[/b][/quote]
Old 4/8/05, 08:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 94tbird@April 8, 2005, 9:10 PM
sounds like someone works for Zaino
Not exactly but been using it for a while now. It does wonders if you it use properly and have the patience for all the steps.
Old 4/8/05, 09:01 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a box of Zaino sitting right next to me eagerly waiting to be applied to redfire paint!