2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Answer 2 Global Open problem with windows

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/05, 07:06 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't understand the safety feature part.

The ONLY thing you can't do is roll your windows down by putting the key in the lock.
Old 2/23/05, 07:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What-a-ya mean?... I roll mine down with the key in the lock, and can roll them up with the key in the door lock?... the only thing that can't be done is roll them up via the fob's lock button...
Old 2/23/05, 07:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The safety issus is that the window could drop by itself. Maybe at a bad time, like when you get into an accident. Just my thought on the safety issue.
Old 2/23/05, 10:24 AM
GT Member

I would have to agree with Stangnut, as long as the feature
still works on the key fob, otherwise it will be a huge disapointment
to have to explain that I bought the alarm for a feature Ford
decided to disable.
Old 2/23/05, 10:30 AM
FR500 Member

yea seriously i think that might be why cars r getting held. i ordered active anyi-theft. but i did also order only a month ago. there r still people who ordered after my and have build dates already too. kinda weird but now stuff is starting to make sense. i thought it was another spoiler issue.
Old 2/23/05, 10:41 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by moc1976@February 22, 2005, 8:02 AM
I am also in the boat of buying this option for the global up/down feature, so this is disappointing. To be honest, from reading another post here, there doesn't even sound like there's much difference with the standard alarm and the upgraded one. Now, that this feature is turned off, what's the point.

I don't think its a big deal and its not going to cause me to not take delivery of my car, but I don't understand how this is Ford's solution to the problem.

This is going to be my first Ford purchase, so the rest of the car better be issue-less if they want to retain me as a customer.

theres a ton of little differences. the alarm is very sensative. there r motion sensors inside the car in case someone breaks the window and tries to reach in. if the car is lifted at a certain angle the alarm will go off. IMO, its a very good feature to have. gives some of us some reassurance.
Old 2/23/05, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by freyke@February 23, 2005, 8:17 AM
What-a-ya mean?... I roll mine down with the key in the lock, and can roll them up with the key in the door lock?... the only thing that can't be done is roll them up via the fob's lock button...
Then this thread doesn't apply to you car.
Old 2/23/05, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@February 23, 2005, 8:09 AM
I don't understand the safety feature part.

The ONLY thing you can't do is roll your windows down by putting the key in the lock.
No, the only thing you can't do is roll your windows UP by putting the key in the lock - that has been disabled...according to the posts here, anyway.

And one more time for everyone NOT getting this - EVERY MANUFACTURER WITH REMOTE ROLL-DOWN WINDOWS DESIGNS THE SYSTEM SO THAT YOU MUST BE AT THE CAR AND INSERT THE KEY IN THE LOCK TO POWER THEM BACK UP. WHY, YOU ASK? IT'S A SAFETY FEATURE TO PREVENT ANYTHING OR ANYONE FROM BECOMING CAUGHT IN THE WINDOW. IF YOU'RE STANDING AT THE DOOR, YOU WILL SEE ANY OBSTRUCTIONS. IF YOU'RE STANDING 50 FEET AWAY, LOLLYGAGGING OVER SOME HALF-NAKED BABE AT THE BEACH, YOU MIGHT NOT.

Sorry to have to yell, but I've explained this in many posts, and people either don't - or choose not to - get it. If you don't believe me, research this feature with other manufacturers that offer it and you'll discover that what I'm saying is true.
Old 2/23/05, 04:13 PM
V6 Member

Are you claiming that the only way to roll the windows up after you use the key fob to roll them down is to get in the car and do it?
Old 2/23/05, 08:39 PM

Yes. IF your car is one that has had the key lock function disabled from the factory. If your car is functionally correctly you can roll them up with the key in the lock.
Old 2/23/05, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Red face

Originally posted by 05fordgt@February 12, 2005, 4:19 PM
I learned this on Thursday, as one of the GT's I ordered for a customer had came in. I went out to take a look and check it out, and I saw that the global open feature has been disconnected by Ford at the Factory. There is a bulletin on the Ford dealer page. Here is what the memo states:

Febuary 4th 2005
Mustang 2005- Deactivation of door activated Global open feature

"All 2005 Mustang Coupes and Convertibles built after 1/1/2005 that are equipped with the Active Anti-Theft Package will have the door lock-activated portion of the Global Open feature deactivated. The feature will continue to be available via the key FOB. This action was taken to resolve a potential quaality issue that would cause the windows to inadvertenly roll down without customer interaction. The door lock-activated portion of the Global Open feature will remail deactivated for all units produced in 2005MY."

So to any of you out there who have their cars still on order, this feature will NO LONGER be on the car. The funny thing is that Ford states that the remote key FOB will still lower the windows, which is NOT TRUE. The one I have here that is waiting to be picked up, the remotes and the door lock cylinder both WILL NOT lower or raise the windows. The communication from Ford is correct to a point, but doesn't mention that the remotes won't work also.
There is no problems with the system, to those who asked their service depatments, the feature is just no longer active with the car. Just wanted to answer the question that went into the post below. Any questions, please ask.
Guys,

Relax, this rumor is false. Do you actuallly think that Ford would do such thing. They have the best lawers in the world just like any major firm. By doing this it would be nothing but a headach for them and a huge cost with everyone demanding their money back, warranty costs due to everyone taking their car to the dealership, lawsuits and on and on. Dont believe everything you here. Same deal with the MyColor feature. No international company begins producing any thing especially in such a popular product such as the Mustang before they know that they are clean without any risks of having to discontinue it. The answer comes from common sense.

I recommend we get on to something else.
Old 2/23/05, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey everybody, chill out! They got the IUP possible "Lawsuit" cleared up didn't they?....Did anybody ever consider that this feature was deactivated only until a new software program could be written, tested, and implemented? You all think Ford has to tell the world everything that is going on and we should be able to see news flashes on CNN. I bet this will all be resolved in the near future. I have one of the pre 1-1-05 cars and might even have to get mine fixed in the future too. Cars have "bugs" in them especially new model year cars.
Old 2/24/05, 06:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Indystang@February 23, 2005, 11:46 PM
...Did anybody ever consider that this feature was deactivated only until a new software program could be written, tested, and implemented? You all think Ford has to tell the world everything that is going on...
No, I don't think Ford has to tell the world, but I do think they should tell their dealers the truth. There are customers (me for one) who have ordered this option primarily for this feature and may want to delete the option from their orders if it is not going to perform as advertised.
Old 2/24/05, 03:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by IWantMyNewGT+February 24, 2005, 7:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IWantMyNewGT @ February 24, 2005, 7:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Indystang@February 23, 2005, 11:46 PM
...Did anybody ever consider that this feature was deactivated only until a new software program could be written, tested, and implemented? You all think Ford has to tell the world everything that is going on...
No, I don't think Ford has to tell the world, but I do think they should tell their dealers the truth. There are customers (me for one) who have ordered this option primarily for this feature and may want to delete the option from their orders if it is not going to perform as advertised.
[/b][/quote]
Exactly. It's called "customer service," and it's something that Ford could stand to learn a thing or two about.
Old 2/25/05, 10:57 AM
GT Member

No, the only thing you can't do is roll your windows UP by putting the key in the lock - that has been disabled...according to the posts here, anyway.
I thought the only thing that was disabled was the ability to roll the
windows DOWN by putting the key in the lock?

If that is the case, I'm not really too concerned, as long as you can
still roll them down with the key fob.
Old 2/25/05, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

i cant do either and my car was built and delivered before 1/1
Old 2/25/05, 12:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mine was built 2/3 and the global open feature doesn't work via the doorlock or remote.

After the Service Dept at the dealership of purchase wouldn't even try to look-up anything about the factory disabling Active Anti-Theft features without me bringing the car in, I called Ford Customer Relations (800-number). However, they couldn't find anything recently published on the subject. They even checked the so called Dealer Pages. I will just have to bring the car in for servicing and have the Service Dept call the Ford Hotline and/or Ford Engineering. The Ford Customer Relations person was trying to be helpful. He looked up the related electrical schematic and commented that he couldn't see how the factory could've disabled the doorlock activation method separate from the remote (key FOB) activation method.
Old 2/25/05, 12:35 PM
V6 Member

I bring my car in this wednesday since my part is in. I brought it in two wednesdays ago and they ordered a part called a junction box. They said nothing of the factory disabled feature. I am sure they checked all service bulletins and anything related to it. So after Wed I will update as to what happens.
Old 2/25/05, 04:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dtdebuty+February 23, 2005, 9:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dtdebuty @ February 23, 2005, 9:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05fordgt@February 12, 2005, 4:19 PM
I learned this on Thursday, as one of the GT's I ordered for a customer had came in. I went out to take a look and check it out, and I saw that the global open feature has been disconnected by Ford at the Factory. There is a bulletin on the Ford dealer page. Here is what the memo states:

Febuary 4th 2005
Mustang 2005- Deactivation of door activated Global open feature

"All 2005 Mustang Coupes and Convertibles built after 1/1/2005 that are equipped with the Active Anti-Theft Package will have the door lock-activated portion of the Global Open feature deactivated. The feature will continue to be available via the key FOB. This action was taken to resolve a potential quaality issue that would cause the windows to inadvertenly roll down without customer interaction. The door lock-activated portion of the Global Open feature will remail deactivated for all units produced in 2005MY."

So to any of you out there who have their cars still on order, this feature will NO LONGER be on the car. The funny thing is that Ford states that the remote key FOB will still lower the windows, which is NOT TRUE. The one I have here that is waiting to be picked up, the remotes and the door lock cylinder both WILL NOT lower or raise the windows. The communication from Ford is correct to a point, but doesn't mention that the remotes won't work also.
There is no problems with the system, to those who asked their service depatments, the feature is just no longer active with the car. Just wanted to answer the question that went into the post below. Any questions, please ask.
Guys,

Relax, this rumor is false. Do you actuallly think that Ford would do such thing. They have the best lawers in the world just like any major firm. By doing this it would be nothing but a headach for them and a huge cost with everyone demanding their money back, warranty costs due to everyone taking their car to the dealership, lawsuits and on and on. Dont believe everything you here. Same deal with the MyColor feature. No international company begins producing any thing especially in such a popular product such as the Mustang before they know that they are clean without any risks of having to discontinue it. The answer comes from common sense.

I recommend we get on to something else.
[/b][/quote]

Hey David, this is no rumor, and it isn't false. I work at the dealership, and I am the one who posted this info. The GT that I had sold, this feature didn't work, and YES, it had the Active Anti-Theft package. As you have read, there are owners who have left posts saying they have the same problem, both the key and the key fob feature are inoperative. By al means, you are more than welcome to post opinions, but don't say what I wrote is a false rumor. IT IS A FACT.
Old 3/2/05, 02:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by srfan@February 25, 2005, 1:38 PM
I bring my car in this wednesday since my part is in. I brought it in two wednesdays ago and they ordered a part called a junction box. They said nothing of the factory disabled feature. I am sure they checked all service bulletins and anything related to it. So after Wed I will update as to what happens.

Ok here is the update, I just picked up my car from the dealership and my global feature now works as advertised both with the key fob(roll down only) and the key lock (both up and down) They replaced the junction box which was special ordered from the factory of course. They had to reprogram my key fobs, but it is working as it has been advertised. I asked the technician about the factory deactivating the feature, and he told me he checked all service bulletins and even talked with techs from Ford and they knew of no such thing. So I hope this helps someone. It is not the most useful feature but it is something that is advertised with the active anti theft, and oh yeah it is kind of cool too

Quick Reply: Answer 2 Global Open problem with windows