2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Answer 2 Global Open problem with windows

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/05, 05:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by StangNut+February 12, 2005, 5:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ February 12, 2005, 5:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>That sux. The ONLY reason I added the anti-theft was for the window feature.
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-jtmears
@February 12, 2005, 6:00 PM
Well this sux, now I paid an additional $227 for nothing. I could care less about the alarm, that's what I have insurance for. Thanks Ford! Hopefully since it is just deactivated and not removed someone will figure out how to activate this feature.
[/quote]

Really? You guys paid that much just to be able to roll your windows down with the key fob? I wouldn't think it would be worth that much. Just curious as to what about the feature you liked so much.
Old 2/12/05, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, my car was built in Jan. and the global window functions operate as expected.

Correctly, that is.
Old 2/12/05, 06:07 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 12, 2005, 6:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 12, 2005, 6:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by StangNut@February 12, 2005, 5:46 PM
That sux. The ONLY reason I added the anti-theft was for the window feature.
<!--QuoteBegin-jtmears
@February 12, 2005, 6:00 PM
Well this sux, now I paid an additional $227 for nothing. I could care less about the alarm, that's what I have insurance for. Thanks Ford! Hopefully since it is just deactivated and not removed someone will figure out how to activate this feature.
Really? You guys paid that much just to be able to roll your windows down with the key fob? I wouldn't think it would be worth that much. Just curious as to what about the feature you liked so much.
[/b][/quote]
Well, my mom's 95 Maxima had this feature and I always liked it. It's nice to have here in the south during the hot summer days.

After some consideration, I have decided that if my car comes in (should be this week) with this feature deactivated I will take it straight to the service dept. to be reactivated. If it can't be reactivated, I will keep taking it to the shop until it is fixed or until I can a)force them to buy the car back under Lemon Law for not working as advertised, or b)Recieve a $227 credit for the non-working option. Yes, I know it's a drawn-out process, but I think it's unacceptable for Ford to disable something instead of fixing it. Much like the IUP-lite BS, I don't want an "anti-theft-lite" I want what I ordered, no exceptions.
Old 2/12/05, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Two things:

1) If Ford deactivated the global up/down function at the door itself, then they would HAVE to deactivate it on the remote as well. In answer to another poster's comments, the reason you can't roll the windows UP remotely, is for mandated safety reasons, so that no one else at the car can get their fingers or head caught in the window while someone is rolling them up remotely and not paying attention. That's why you have to be AT THE CAR to roll them up by sticking the key in the lock and twisting.

2) As to Ford just simply saying, "Hey, we're taking away the feature because we're too stupid or lazy to fix it," well, that's the cheap and easy way out. Interesting, isn't it, that none of the imports (Acura, et al) have problems with their remote window down function, but Ford just says, "Hey, too bad, we ain't gonna do nothing about it." It tells me what they really think about Mustang buyers. Maybe they're right.

Typical North American attitude towards customers and quality.
Old 2/12/05, 06:37 PM
Cobra Member

I'm in the "only reason I orderd active antitheft instead aftermarket alarm/remote start was for the windows!" bucket myself. I guess I'll have to wait and see when my car comes in. I hate saying this, but I agree with itmears. I want my money back on the alarm system if they disabled the only features I wanted from it in the first place! It's the principle of the matter.
Old 2/12/05, 07:02 PM
V6 Member

If it was deactivated at the factory the service dept should be able to reactivate it I would think anyway. As to an earlier post about a delay in cars being built with Active Anti-Theft, mine was ordered 11-16 built week of 1-24 and picked it up 2-11. the only delay that I was told was for IUP, but I got a build week before they put temp holds for it. I am taking it to the dealer this wednesday to have them look as to why the global windows do not work, I will mention the deactivation though maybe that will help them a bit, and not take my whole car apart trying to figure it out.

Karpro Have you heard anything about this????
Old 2/12/05, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by jtmears@February 12, 2005, 7:10 PM
If it can't be reactivated, I will keep taking it to the shop until it is fixed or until I can a)force them to buy the car back under Lemon Law for not working as advertised
I could be wrong on this, but I think for a car to be considered to be a lemon, it has to have 3 seperate issues wrong with it, not just one.
Old 2/12/05, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Robert@February 12, 2005, 7:16 PM
In answer to another poster's comments, the reason you can't roll the windows UP remotely, is for mandated safety reasons, so that no one else at the car can get their fingers or head caught in the window while someone is rolling them up remotely and not paying attention. That's why you have to be AT THE CAR to roll them up by sticking the key in the lock and twisting.
That can't be the reason, there is a bounce back feature on the car, if the window hits an obstruction, it will stop rolling up.
Old 2/12/05, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 12, 2005, 8:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 12, 2005, 8:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Robert@February 12, 2005, 7:16 PM
In answer to another poster's comments, the reason you can't roll the windows UP remotely, is for mandated safety reasons, so that no one else at the car can get their fingers or head caught in the window while someone is rolling them up remotely and not paying attention. That's why you have to be AT THE CAR to roll them up by sticking the key in the lock and twisting.
That can't be the reason, there is a bounce back feature on the car, if the window hits an obstruction, it will stop rolling up.
[/b][/quote]

It is the reason. The bounce back feature only works for the top few inches. On the other hand, if someone sticks their head in the car... You get the idea.
Old 2/12/05, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Robert+February 12, 2005, 8:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert @ February 12, 2005, 8:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by holderca1@February 12, 2005, 8:13 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Robert
@February 12, 2005, 7:16 PM

It is the reason. The bounce back feature only works for the top few inches. On the other hand, if someone sticks their head in the car... You get the idea.
[/b][/quote]
Where did you see that the bounce back feature only works in the top few inches? Anyway, if someone is sticking their head in my car, they deserve to get it stuck.

Edit: What you said is completly wrong, went out and just tested it myself. The bounce back feature kicked in on mine about 2-3 inches from the top of door.
Old 2/12/05, 09:05 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by freyke@February 12, 2005, 6:37 PM
All,

Quick version:

Mine was built on Dec 16 04...
Would you be interested in a '65 Fastback with the same build date... only 40 years earlier? Dec. 16, 1964.
Old 2/12/05, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Where did you see that the bounce back feature only works in the top few inches? Anyway, if someone is sticking their head in my car, they deserve to get it stuck.

Edit: What you said is completly wrong, went out and just tested it myself. The bounce back feature kicked in on mine about 2-3 inches from the top of door.
Regardless, that is the reason for it.
Old 2/12/05, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Robert@February 12, 2005, 10:42 PM

Who told you this? If that were the case you shouldn't be able to do with your key either, someone could get stuck in the passenger side window.
Old 2/12/05, 10:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 12, 2005, 10:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 12, 2005, 10:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Robert@February 12, 2005, 10:42 PM

Who told you this? If that were the case you shouldn't be able to do with your key either, someone could get stuck in the passenger side window.
[/b][/quote]

It's common knowledge: remote on the down cycle cause no one can get hurt - in the key slot on the up cycle because going up is when things can get caught. If you're right at the door, you're more likely to notice something obstructing the window. All manufacturers use this same system. If you don't believe me, check some other auto dealers and ask them.
Old 2/13/05, 06:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Jeff- The Ford memo says that the FOB window option will still work. You say your FOB is not working? Is it possible that your FOB has to be recalibrated? I would guess that is all you need to do. I believe the instructions are somewhere in the owners manual. Its worth a try.
Old 2/13/05, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

My Active Alarm works as expected. I knew I wanted an alarm, the "global" or "universal" i.e BOTH window roll down feature just made me decide to go w/ the factory set up. I like those types of features to be 'integrated' with the car, not added on. It will be nice to roll 'em down here in TX in the summer (which is like 9 months of the year), prior to entry.

Just for kicks, I tried holding down the unlock button on the FOB from our '04 Nissan Quest, low and behold both windows went down! I didn't even know it had that feature. That Quest never ceases to amaze me (in good ways).
Old 2/13/05, 06:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Robert@February 12, 2005, 7:16 PM
Interesting, isn't it, that none of the imports (Acura, et al) have problems with their remote window down function, but Ford just says, "Hey, too bad, we ain't gonna do nothing about it." It tells me what they really think about Mustang buyers. Maybe they're right.

Typical North American attitude towards customers and quality.
I was really looking forward to the remote window function to cool off the car before getting in on summer days since I ordered the dark charcoal leather.
While this issue is not a dealbreaker for me, I had this feature on a Jetta once and really appreciated it.

I know the fine print on car brochures says "we reserve the right to change equipment at any time, blah, blah, blah" but this car was supposed to have been extensively tested and had a delayed introduction to boot! IMO deactivation is not a fix, it is a downgrade of the product. Ford can do better!
Old 2/13/05, 09:52 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 12, 2005, 8:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 12, 2005, 8:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jtmears@February 12, 2005, 7:10 PM
If it can't be reactivated, I will keep taking it to the shop until it is fixed or until I can a)force them to buy the car back under Lemon Law for not working as advertised
I could be wrong on this, but I think for a car to be considered to be a lemon, it has to have 3 seperate issues wrong with it, not just one.
[/b][/quote]

Actually I think it varies by state, but from what I understand manufacturers are given a reasonable time limit (I believe 30 days or a certain number of shop visits) to fix the problem but if it is not fixed by the end of this time frame they would have to buy the car back. In my case I would ask for a credit on the option, plus the interest it will cost me over the life of the loan. I think that's more reasonable than asking them to buy the car back.
Old 2/13/05, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by jtmears@February 13, 2005, 10:55 AM
Actually I think it varies by state, but from what I understand manufacturers are given a reasonable time limit (I believe 30 days or a certain number of shop visits) to fix the problem but if it is not fixed by the end of this time frame they would have to buy the car back. In my case I would ask for a credit on the option, plus the interest it will cost me over the life of the loan. I think that's more reasonable than asking them to buy the car back.
I highly doubt they will give you the interest over the life of the loan, perhaps the interest from the point you got the loan until they credit you the amount. Because you can put that credit towards your loan and you wouldn't be paying any interest on it since you payed that portion of your loan.
Old 2/13/05, 10:17 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 13, 2005, 11:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 13, 2005, 11:06 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jtmears@February 13, 2005, 10:55 AM
I highly doubt they will give you the interest over the life of the loan, perhaps the interest from the point you got the loan until they credit you the amount. Because you can put that credit towards your loan and you wouldn't be paying any interest on it since you payed that portion of your loan.
[/b][/quote]
Well that's reasonable, didnt really think of it that way. Basically I just want the option to work as advertised. If not I want a credit for it. The interest isn't that big of a deal but I'd throw it in for the principle of the matter.

It just ticks me off that Ford's solution is to turn the option off instead of fixing the problem. This is totally unacceptable. I sell and service copy machines, so believe me I undestand that new products do have problems, but If I were to do what ford is doing I'd be getting sued left and right for selling inferior products that don't work as advertised. Plus, I'd lose a lot of business for not addressing problems in an honest and correct manner.

Quick Reply: Answer 2 Global Open problem with windows