2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another V6 5 spd driving impression...

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/05, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Friday I test drove a V6 5-spd with only 6 miles on it. I arrived at the dealer with our BMW 328i (E36 series), a very quick car even with an automatic, so I was able to experience an immediate seat-of-pants comparison with one of the best all-around sporty road cars ever produced. This was my intention.

The Mustang compares very, very favorably. The ride and handling were perfect. It shifted nice and smooth, very Honda-like; the clutch modulated just right. It was certainly almost as speedy as the BMW, and, surely, after break-in, that motor would feel very quick indeed. The cloth seats were very comfortable, and covered with a material that seemed very robust. The overall build quality is amazingly well done; this means the excellent paint, and how well the body seems to be screwed together. The shutlines between the exterior body panels are uniformly straight and near-Audi tight, and that's saying something.

Most of the interior plastics had an acceptable appearance, but seemed cheap, plasticky, and too hard to the touch. I thought this was unfortunate, but on this cold day, they did not creak, groan, or seem prone to warping. They were tightly screwed to the body. Its very neat and functional and I liked the simplicity of the dash and the controls. No excessive electronics to go horribly wrong after warranty period. Too bad about the persistent Shaker CD skipping (not the car I drove), but no doubt they are working on a fix. (The interior appointments of our 328i are not exactly up to what is usually perceived as high German standards, but they are ok, so in the end it doesn't really matter to me.)

My only real beef was that the engine sounded a bit coarse and unrefined, not yet sure if I could get used to it in the long-term, but that's just MY opinion. Maybe just installing some additional sound padding material would help. This particular car did not seem to exhibit the 1500rpm resonance of the V6 automatic I drove last month, but maybe I should have driven it more.

If Ford can keep a lid on their typical cycle of recalls, and ensure a reasonable level of reliability, they will do very well indeed, V6 and GT both.

I would buy one of these new Mustangs, V6 or GT. It is the first new car I have ever driven where I felt the sticker price was actually fair value. It makes me feel like a kid again just looking at it.

FYI, if its helpful, my perspective on what's an exceptional motoring experience and what's not is informed by 27 years familiarity with a diverse multitude of different vehicles, here and in Europe:

For those into the demographics of Mustang enthusiasm, I am a 46 year old professional and have owned 24+ cars since I was 17, the oldest being a '64 Buick Skylark; the newest an Audi A6, which was a '99. also with some Hondas, VWs and even a Ram 4x4 in between, among others. Currently, along with the '98 BMW, we have a '95 Mercedes wagon, like new at 139k miles.

The quickest was a 4000 lb. '65 :worship: Riviera, with a lightly modified 401ci (6.8 liter?) V8 pushing approx. 335hp/450ft. lbs. at about 3500 rpm...yes that's torque=450. Not a typo.

Now that was a fast car. It just cleared the highway in front. Like being a state trooper.

When I was 6, I sat in one of the very first Mustang convertibles ever produced, this was I think, in early '65 (?), at the New York World's Fair, where they had tethered a long string of Mustangs to a small winding track, like a carnival ride. If you're a 6-year old gearhead, it was the thrill of a lifetime. Shea stadium sits on these grounds now.
Old 2/7/05, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 2/7/05, 12:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's great to hear someone with a good deal of experience with quality automobiles speak so highly of the base model mustang. Hopefully the 05s can change some people's preconceived notions that mustangs are POS cars for people who can't afford a real car.
Old 2/7/05, 12:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Thanks for the review!

It left an impression similar to the one that I got when I test drove a V6... B)

V6 5 speed Test Drive

Here's a pic of it! :worship:
Old 2/7/05, 02:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
miktvk, welcome to the forums, and thanks for posting a well thought-out review. Many of your impressions mirror mine on the V6. Great to have you aboard.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=15122

Post #500!
Old 2/7/05, 02:20 PM

I'll be real interested when the upcoming Duratec 3.5 eventually gets into the Stang, now that should really make for an interesting V6. The 4.0 makes for a reasonable enough stop-gap motor, and is certainly worlds better than the old, agrarian 3.9. But alas, even the 4.0 is a rather ancient motor and seems to really show it in its lack of modern NVH levels, even if its pretty quick by the numbers. Heck, I even had one of the 4.0's ancestors in my old '73 Capri V6 2600. That car was a pretty perky 3/5's scale Mustang for all intents and purposes and scooted pretty well given a half ton less deadweight to push around than the 2005 Stang. But then again, you rolled your own windows, which were your A/C and never mind all the modern goodies on the '05. Sounded real nice too, what with a true dual exhaust and a somewhat rich, melodious Euro note as opposed to the 4.0 somewhat truckish aural qualitities.

Presumably, the upcoiming 3.5 should impress, not only how fast it goes in objective numbers, but just as importantly, how it goes fast subjectively, i.e., smoothly and eagerly. Couple that with some sportier suspension/braking option and the V6 could really advance well beyond the mere affordable secretary's/rental car into a make no excuses performance ride.
Old 2/7/05, 04:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

miktvk, welcome, and thanks for your writeup. I really really urge you to take out the Mustang GT for a test drive. I am most interested to see what your thoughts are. I believe it would be worth your time. B)
Old 2/8/05, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by os121@February 7, 2005, 5:22 PM
miktvk, welcome, and thanks for your writeup. I really really urge you to take out the Mustang GT for a test drive. I am most interested to see what your thoughts are. I believe it would be worth your time. B)
Glad to be part of the group. Yes, I wanted to drive the GT, which their online site indicated as available inventory, but alas no GT on lot, now a sad man.

I can wait though. Maybe next fall or end of summer. They probably wouldn't have let me drive it anyway.

This dealer, to their credit, is charging NO markup on GTs, just order at sticker, go home, and wait.