2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Advice on buying near Houston

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/05, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Everybody!
This is my first post on the site, and I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, or if the topic's been beaten to death. I was hoping for a little advice from everyone out there. I live 30 miles south of Houston, and I'm going to order a 2005 Mustang GT, but I'm not quite sure what a good deal is. I've e-mailed something like 50 dealers, and finally found one that says they have all their allocations and could get the car in 6-8 weeks (Gulf Coast Ford). They are among a few that said they could do it for $500 over invoice. I was hoping you could answer two questions for me.

1. Can the dealer really get the car in 6-8 weeks, or is he just lying to me?
2. Is $500 over invoice a good price, or should I try to push it lower?

Again, sorry if I posted in the wrong place, or if I'm wasting space with stupid questions.
Old 4/1/05, 01:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey, Welcome to the forum! No stupid questions. Only stupid answers.

1. Is hard to answer. It probably depends on their allocations and the number of orders they already have waiting. Do you know anyone who has bought from them before? You may want to a quick search with your local BBB and/or State Atty General to see if if they have any recent unresolved complaints.

2. From what I've learned in a few months on this forum is that prices vary wildly all over the country. I've heard of somewhat better deals and many much worse. If they're the cheapest in the area, you should decide if you want to go with them or try to find something cross country and do a road trip.

Sorry, neither of those is a very good answer, but there are no absolutes. You have to decide if you're comfortable with these folks - especially if they are asking for a sizable deposit, especially if it's nonrefundable.

Good luck with what every you decide to do.
Old 4/1/05, 04:49 AM
V6 Member

I ordered a GT convertible this week and $500 over invoice with no dealer fees is the deal I got in NC. Found lower prices but they had no 05 allocations left. Dealer said 3 months to delivery. I'm 50/50 on whether it will make it into production or not. Not really in a big hurry so I can wait for an 06 if I have to.
Old 4/1/05, 06:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I learned the hard way not to put all of your eggs in one basket. You may want to order from more than one dealer. My first order I put in at Bay Area in Clear Lake back in May. Still haven't heard from them. And yes I was calling them weekly for several months with no return info from them. I finally had enough and went to Ron Carter in Alvin in Oct. Tony G. was my salesman and he is a Mustang man also. At the time he work a competative price for me on this hot car. It was a very good buying experience. It was delivered in about 8 weeks and this was around the Holidays. Thanksgiving/ Christmas.
May want to give them a call if you haven't already.

Steve