2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Across America in a 2005 Mustang GT!

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/05 | 10:56 AM
Big Falken Tires

Chris!!!

It was cool to run into you online the other night!

Take care on the road and keep us updated - get lots of cool pics......

Drive safe and keep Lucky outta trouble!!
Old 7/29/05 | 11:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@July 29, 2005, 6:42 AM
You guys and gals are the best! Thanks for your support and encouragement. I appreciate it. And thanks for the heads up about the car show, Frank! I just might take you up on that. I hope the weather cooperates for y'all.

Long drives out in the country have a very humbling effect on me. This country is just so huge and beautiful, I can't ever see enough of it. Rich, I drove down the California coast back in 96. You're right, it is breathtaking! I'm really looking forward to my new digs and seeing some old friends again. Jeff: sorry I'm not taking I-40; it would have been cool to hook up. Still, I'll see you in Vegas in September. That road trip should seem like a breeze compared to this!

I chose this route primarily due to the time of year. While I could have taken the northern route (I-80) all the way, I decided to take the most direct. There were compromises, naturally, because there are so many cities I've never seen and wanted to visit. If this goes well, and I get the chance, perhaps I'll return to the east coast using another route.

Gotta get going. I have a lot of packing to do! I'll be in touch...

The weather well be great for saturday 85 and sunny at the carshow I'll be with blue 05 in front of the carshow .
Old 7/29/05 | 11:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 05mach1@July 29, 2005, 11:07 AM
The weather well be great for saturday 85 and sunny at the carshow I'll be with blue 05 in front of the carshow .
Also there will be some 05 Mustangs to at the show.
Old 7/29/05 | 11:10 AM
Banned

Sunday in St. Louis is a Ford Car show. Maybe you shoudl stop by???
Old 7/29/05 | 01:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@July 28, 2005, 9:56 PM
I plan on driving only during daylight hours so I can enjoy the scenery. I hope that I can post pix of my trip along the way using my laptop.
That'd be cool. Find those hotels with free internet access.
Old 7/29/05 | 02:13 PM
legacy Tms Member

Bests of luck on the trip Chris keep us posted and have a good time!!
Old 7/29/05 | 02:23 PM
V6 Member

Cool let me know how it goes. I am moving to Vegas next month and am going to do a cross country drive as well, with some of the similar routes. Although I'm in a V6 and the car will be loaded down with everything I can fit, so it won't be as fun as your trip. (At least it will look like I lowered it with springs though)
Old 7/29/05 | 03:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by rrobello@July 29, 2005, 4:18 AM
why stop there? the drive down HWY 1 along the california coast is awesome, and OC and SD are the best, if you do come down let us know we will plan something special to make a meet or something, actually we might be doing a show that month

Best on a motorcycle. Did the length of Cal on a MC and it was great.
Old 7/29/05 | 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Good Luck with the trip, Chris. Be safe and careful.........but mostly,
Have a great time!!!! Keep us posted on your travels!!!!
Old 7/29/05 | 09:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Chirs the Carshow got cannel because of water line broke and half park lot cave in, in a big hole in parking lot. you could meet at Hooters for lunch in Barourville,WV exit 18 on I-64 between 2pm-4pm
Old 7/30/05 | 08:59 PM
Cobra Member

Well, day 1 is now behind me, and I'm in Lexington, Kentucky. Interesting city with some really cool architecture and friendly locals. Just had dinner at Cheapside Bar & Grille. Dems good eats! Wish I could stay a while longer...

The trip from Richmond to Lexington was pretty uneventful. A few minor slowdowns in construction areas, but mostly open roads. "Lucky" performed very well on her first major road trip (so far). She took on the mountains of West Virginia without breaking a sweat. This car is an awesome performer! I had tons of looks from people on the road. That was nice and a little unexpected, since the car has been out for months! I only saw three other '05s; a torch V6 coupe, a yellow GT coupe and a windveil GT vert. I only wish the weather cooperated a little better. My pix will illustrate that well. Unfortunately, I cannot post any using this crappy dialup in the hotel! It would take forever. I forgot how much I relied on my cable modem.

At any rate, the Mapquest estimates were right on the money. Right down to the tenths of a mile. It was unreal! Tomorrow will be an easier day. Fewer miles and an earlier departure time. Hope to see the arch in St. Louis!

Pix will definitely follow. I hope one of the hotels along my way will have a high-speed internet connection.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 7/30/05 | 10:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Chris: Do keep us posted and say safe on the road. We're all cheering you on your way.

And find a way to post some pictures along the way.
Old 7/30/05 | 10:10 PM
FR500 Member

Chris, I took mine to San Francisco a while back and kept waiting for the really big uphill pulls.......and realized I was way past that point and she never even breathed hard.

Keep safe and enjoy!

Paul
Old 7/30/05 | 10:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

You Rawk!!!! Good luck on the road + have fun! Keep us posted, looking forward to living this trip through ya!
Old 7/31/05 | 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@July 28, 2005, 10:38 PM
Heads up, everyone! I'm taking "Lucky" on a cross-country road trip. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll see some of you. It would be cool to cross paths with fellow Mustangers along the way! eace:
My wife and I discussed such a trip just this weekend. We're in Westminster, MD, and we'd pick up I70 west all the way to Utah, then zip down through Nevada into California. Sweet, and please post pics on the way...

John
Old 7/31/05 | 08:24 AM
Cobra Member

I'm curious. What's in Sacramento to make you go there? Job?

I've been fortunate to drive coast to coast a few times. There's nothing like it to make you really appreciate this country.
Old 7/31/05 | 09:24 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@July 30, 2005, 11:02 PM
Well, day 1 is now behind me, and I'm in Lexington, Kentucky. Interesting city with some really cool architecture and friendly locals. Just had dinner at Cheapside Bar & Grille. Dems good eats! Wish I could stay a while longer...

Ahh the Cheapside. Spenta few nights there when in Lex. BTW if you wanna go up in the arch get there early. I was there for the Cards/Cubs game last weekend and The wait was too long (We woulda missed the game. Unacceptable.) Of course we find out later that the game was changed to late afternoon game, but by then it was too late. I will try to hit it on the way out to Vegas.
Old 7/31/05 | 12:23 PM
legacy Tms Member

Glad to hear things are going well Chris and your livin the dream
Old 8/1/05 | 09:41 PM
Cobra Member

Three days down, four to go! I got into tourist mode again and spent a good while in St. Louis. Almost passed up an opportunity to stay there though. I cancelled my first reservation because I didn't like the area; it was run down and in the middle of nowhere. I ended up staying at the Drury Hotel in downtown St. Louis. Excellent choice and a great bargain to boot. Toured the city streets, had dinner, checked out the new baseball stadium under construction, but the highlight of the day was taking a ride up to the top of the St. Louis arch. Amazing views from 630 feet above the city! Very cool architecture and a feat of engineering. I even bought a DVD about it's construction. I've always been an architecture buff.

The road between St. Louis, Missouri and Salina, Kansas was a lot more interesting than I would have expected. Lots of lush, rolling green hills with horses, fat cows, farms with endless pastures, etc. I was especially impressed by the variety of geographical features. I wish I could spend more time exploring the side streets and alternate routes. The interstate is useful, but it is simply a teaser. There's so much more to see!

Lucky is performing well. Not a drop of oil burned and excellent fuel economy. I'm averaging between 24.5 and 27 mpg. She's got a sweet spot at 2,200 rpm, running around 72 mph in 5th gear. Love to gear down to fourth while negotiating traffic through town. She goes from a purr to a rumble in seconds!

Taking a ton of photos, but I will probably wait until I make my final destination before posting. I've got to weed through them and pick my favorites. Most importantly, I need access to a reliable high-speed internet connection! Rest assured, I will post several when the time comes.

Comments from strangers:

"What's that color called?... I like it"
"Is that an '04 or '05?"
"Does it run as good as it looks? It's sweet!"
"Ooh that's a pretty color... I've never seen anything quite like that!"
"What's it got? A 5-point-oh?"

I've noticed that some people practically sprain their necks trying to get a better look of my car as they pass. Many people are very curious about these cars. They love seeing them on the road. I don't expect this interest to wane much in the coming months; anyone expecting to take delivery will still be able to enjoy the notoriety!

Arrived with time to spare in Salina, Kansas this afternoon. Pleasant little town in the Heartland of America. Friendly locals and good food. Makes me wish I could stay a while longer, but the road is calling...

Scott, in answer to your question, I am relocating to explore an employment opportunity. Friends have been urging me to relocate for years, and I've mulled it over a few times. Timing played a big part; the lease on my apartment was up!
Old 8/1/05 | 10:16 PM
FR500 Member

[quote=CelticCub,August 1, 2005, 8:44 PM]

Lucky is performing well.

Be sure to check for burs in the hooves!

I am relocating to explore an employment opportunity.

I think some guy named Arnold already took that job

Glad you're enjoying the trip and good to hear everything is going well! Guess sometime tomorrow you'll be hitting the half way mark. Lots of sights still to see and I envy you. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Across America in a 2005 Mustang GT!