2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

6 Disc Changer problem

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/04, 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had some glitches with my 1000 CD also. During song play on a couple of different CD's the player auto advanced to the next song in the middle of the tune. I checked the CD for damage but found none. Road bumps :scratch: I notified my dealership and they will check it next week when I have some other small things corrected.
Old 11/10/04, 08:47 PM
Cobra Member

Shaker 500 CD is working OK so far, sounds good also.
Old 11/10/04, 09:08 PM
GT Member

I have had some trouble with my Shaker 500. Nothing major it just won't play my burnt mp3 c.d.'s. Says that its bad. I hope that I just didn't get it burnt right off my computer right. Though now I'm not sure since it seems some of you also have had trouble.
Old 11/10/04, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SVTJayC@November 10, 2004, 12:19 PM
I would get used to this.
Unbelievable response.
Old 11/11/04, 12:06 AM
GT Member

I have had problems with every Ford radio, especially the 6cd changer in my 01 Gt. I have had that thing replaced two times under warranty and still have to use a plastic credit card to take out my CDs because they will not come out on their own. My cousins 6 CD changer on his GT does the same thing, except he has more problems with his. Problems and ford mustang are analogous terms. I can't tell you how many times i have been to the service dept. when my 01 was new and how ford customer service could care less. I still like my car and will buy the new model in the next two years, once they work out the problems.
Old 11/11/04, 12:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by thestanger@November 11, 2004, 1:09 AM
Problems and ford mustang are analogous terms. I can't tell you how many times i have been to the service dept. when my 01 was new and how ford customer service could care less. I still like my car and will buy the new model in the next two years, once they work out the problems.
And yet people wonder why so many have turned to buying imports.
Old 11/11/04, 02:14 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by klous@November 10, 2004, 12:17 PM
Today at lunch I had the weirest problem with my 6 disc changer, and its on going.

I get in the car to goto lunch, I turn the radio on and it tries to start the cd it was playing earlier on my ride to work.

It rejects the cd as bad, then it spits out disk 2, then 3, then 4,5 and 6.

It spits out every cd I had in it as BAD and claims any cd I put in it since is bad as well. I checked all my disk they are all spotless clean with no scratches.

If the problem doesn't clear up or clears up then comes back I guess Im due for my first warranty work on my new Mustang.

My 2001 Mustang also had a 6 disk changer and I never experianced a problem like this.
The people whom are good friends of mine that work in the service department of my local Ford dealer told me not to use cd that are burned on a pc that is the major source of all cd changer problems. Truth be know I had the same problem but since I have not put any cd that I have made myself into the changer I have not had a any problem so I have to say there must be some truth to what he told me.
Old 11/11/04, 06:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by elwhit95@November 11, 2004, 3:17 AM

The people whom are good friends of mine that work in the service department of my local Ford dealer told me not to use cd that are burned on a pc that is the major source of all cd changer problems.
Where else can you burn a CD? Whats the point of making a player that can't play CDs burn on a computer?
Old 11/11/04, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Junk, just plain junk. Hopefully someday Ford will contract out an actual 'audio' company to make their 'audio' components. Forget the exhaust, intakes, etc. The stereo is the first thing im yanking out.
Old 11/11/04, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Most of the problems with burned cd's come from burning them at a high speed.

When you burn your cd's, make sure you do them at a slow speed and use quality media. If you do that, chances are you won't have any issues.

I have done this with cd's I plan to play in car players. I burned one at high speed and got errors in the player. I burned the same tracks on the same brand of media at a slower speed and played it in the player and it works fine.
Old 11/11/04, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Klous & MCGT --

I'm having problems with my Shaker 1000 as well. It started October 23 the day after I picked up the car. I didn't have a CD player in my '78 Mustang -- still has the original 8-track player. So, I had to go buy some CD's. At first, I thought the problem was this one CD in Tray 4. So, I took that CD back and exchanged it twice. Then, I tried taking all of the CD's out and putting them in different trays. The new CD in Tray 4 had a problem, so I figured it was just Tray 4. Then I began noticing that the CD's were skipping, even when at a stop, and cutting off the ends of songs and moving on to the next song.

I talked to the Ford Dealer locally, and I'm taking the car back to the dealership where I bought it at tomorrow. They are supposed to yank out the stereo, get the number off of it, and order me a new one.

The other problem started 1 week ago. I was sitting at home in the living room and the car was in the driveway (son was working on sanding and painting our pick up truck). All of a sudden, the car alarm went off. I went rushing out with keys in hand, but there was noone around. I reset the alarm after checking everything out, and the car alarm did not go off again. However, Monday was a different story. I got to work, and about 20 minutes after I got there, someone came in and told me my alarm was going off. I went out to investigate, but the alarm had already shut off. I check everything, rearmed the alarm, and headed back into the building. Halfway up the stairs, the darn thing was going off again. I shut the alarm off with the remote and went inside the office. Unfortunately, the car alarm went off 3 more times during the day at work, then it went off 6 times in a 2 hour time period that evening. I finally took the key and locked the door manually and the alarm hasn't gone off again since. I swapped the remote with my husband and have been using it and so far, no problem. So I think I'll see if I can swap the remote at the dealership. In my opinion, the remote has a short in it.

Anyone else have a problem with their Shaker 1000 or their alarm system?
Old 11/11/04, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

I burn CDs at 24x speed all the time; never a problem in 5 years with the CD player in my Jeep GC; or in my friend's 02 Altima with a 6 CD in dash changer....

Had to replace the single CD player in my son's 2000 F-150. Seems to be a chronic problem with Ford's components....occasionally you can get a bad disk, but the problems discussed above are more likely the Shaker equipment.

Have the dealer / Ford make it right. Too much money, whatever the plan or price, to settle for less.

You guys are motivating me to back off and wait for the 2006s to give them time to work out all the "first year redesign" kinks.
Old 11/11/04, 12:51 PM
Cobra R Member

I wonder if the problem with the 6-disc changer is just when you put multiple discs in (even though this is what it's designed for). Using it as a single CD player may be the key to trouble free??? Don't know, just a thought.....
Old 11/13/04, 09:12 PM
GT Member

Same problem, bad disks message, good disks repeatedly ejected.

My Shaker 500 was working pretty well. One commercial CD loaded fine a couple of weeks ago. I had 2 self burned disks, and a new commercial CD in the changer. Originally, the burned disks took a couple of times to load. But, they were playing for the 2 weeks.

I tried to add 3 more disks to the changer tonight; and now everything is kicked out as a bad disk. Newly purchased CD's, as well as the one's previously working fine.

(My 2000 Explorer's changer has worked great.... in terms of the talk about "all" Ford's audio being junk. )
Old 11/13/04, 09:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

The biggest problem with radio problems is some service departments. They make you feel like you need a co-signer at a bank. What I mean is if it needs repair some dealer take your radio out and send it for repairs. That's bull. They should order a new unit and put it in at the same time they take yours out. You should not have a hole in the dash. The supplier should just have to take back all Ford returns period. That is how they should put together the contract. I don't care if the supplier has to eat a number of them it's there work and quality that determines that.
Old 11/13/04, 11:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I encountered this today.
I burned a CD this morning before I left the house. 3 songs into it the cd player (shaker 500) spit it out. Figured it was a bad disk

Stopped by walmart later and bought AC/DC--back in black and the Eminem cd's. CD player plays the AC?DC no problem but after 6 songs the Eminem Cd was spit out claiming bad CD. MMMM my car only likes classic rock.
Will monitor and let dealer know if it persists.
Old 11/13/04, 11:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, lots of CD problems. When I picked up my car on Friday there was a '05 in the service lane. Sales guy said the owner was having problems with the CD skipping and ejecting. I'm kind of glad I ordered mine with the regular sound system. I spent a few hours today taking the old radio out. Replaced it with a brushed aluminum Sony head unit (CD/MP3), XM, and ran the wires for my sub. Works and sounds good.

-Ken
Old 11/13/04, 11:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

MMMM my car only likes classic rock.
Is that a bad thing? lol

Maybe your car has a "Christine" complex or something!

Seriously though, I've been thinking about this for a little bit and the bits and peices of information that you guys have given me gave me a couple of thoughts....(I'm a network engineer, btw)

First off, the AC/DC and Eminem thing got me wondering....it's possible tha that the Eminem disk has copyright software on it, so you can't copy the cd or you can only copy certain tracks. That will cause the CD to get "spit" out in certain audio systems.

Secondly, with the burnt cd's....are you guys using FLAC? (Free Lossless Audio Codec)....what that does is it looks for strings of 1's and 0's and further reduces those files mathematically...there are lots of audio applications that you can download to your computer that will play back these types of mp3's but there is only one mp3 player that can do it right now, and it ain't the Shaker series....

Now the popular burning programs like Roxio don't use this yet, so if you are using them, it shouldn't be a problem...

If you guys want, list the burning programs you're using and I'll look into it to see if I can get you an answer....
Old 11/14/04, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Did that to me on disk 6 yesterday, then I popped it back in and it played fine.
Old 11/14/04, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Paul that's a great offer. You have a great deal of knowledge on this subject. Are you an audio engineer?

Quick Reply: 6 Disc Changer problem