2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

45 mph crash in my 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/05 | 08:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I just spun mine on a long stretch of snow and ice around a blind turn (thanks so snow banks). Didn't see it 'till I was on it, going 40, spun...luckily I didn't hit the numerous trees along the road (again thanks to snow banks). Ended up with 2 cracked bumpers and a crumpled tail pipe.

Front GT Bumper $498 (the V6 front bumper is $198)
Rear GT Bumper $209 (V6 is $203)
Right Rear GT Muffler $233 (about the same as V6)

On an interesting side note, apparently the piece of plastic on the interior of the wheel well is more expensive for the passenger side than the driver's side. I needed the driver's side luckily, but my guy at the shop explained this difference to me like this: "Cars get damaged more often on the passenger side, so they charge more for those parts."

Not entirely relevant to the topic, but fun info nonetheless.

Get it totalled and get a new one if you can. Otherwise take what you can get. Her insurance will cover damage to your aftermarket parts, right?
Old 1/28/05 | 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

05 OCD -

Definition of "indemnify" is to re-instate to the position previously enjoyed prior to loss. Sunday morning I drove to the golf course in a brand new 05 GT, not a repaired junker. Anyone who's tried to sell a repaired car can attest as to the very real difference between the two.

Problem with repair is that what is seen to be damaged will be repaired, and probably repaired well. When I went to remove my CD's from the car, the player wouldn't give me my disks initially, so I assume the CD player took a knock - though the interior of the car APPEARS in perfect condition. Now, I can let them know this, but what about everything else which APPEARS fine, but is in fact damaged?

I'm not interested in screwing the insurance company (I made a similar point on another forum - I've worked in the industry for 12 years and know that too much of that goes on), but neither do I intend to end up in a position of loss just because someone who should not be on the road killed my car.

I don't care if her insurance co total the vehicle, as I said, MY car had never had so much as a scratch prior to the crash, and that's how it should be post settlement.

I've no intention of yelling at anyone. I'll state my case calmly and politely, and do so only so many times. If that fails, only then will I get a lawyer.

There ARE a number of myths around the insurance industry, but one truism which holds is that it's all about paying out as little as possible, not about doing right by the injured party. If they can repudiate a claim, or get someone to settle for less than they're entitled to, they will. And laugh all the way to the AGM whilst doing so.

I just want my spanking-new, FACTORY-built, no hidden damage, 2005 GT back.
Old 1/28/05 | 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

From the insurance industry or not, everyone knows the rules of insurance claims. WHATEVER is least expensive for the insurance company. Period.
I would go for the new car .... I don't care what this guy says ... IT WILL NEVER BE LIKE IT WAS WHEN IT CAME OFF OF THE ASSEMBLY LINE. Been there done that, AT a VERY reputable shop. Don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise. You sustained a lot of damage, with a lot you cannot even see.

Being a collectible or not should not even play into the settlement. This guy just shelled out $30k for his NEW car, not some twisted piece of metal that MAY give him issues down the road.

I'm sick and tired of insurance companies getting paid each month and when they have to shell out for what is right, they all of a sudden close down ... GMAB.

I would go after her with everything I had .... SHE was at fault .... You did nothing wrong but just be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

People need to start taking responsibility for THEIR actions.
Old 1/28/05 | 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

just got a voicemail from her insurance company - apparently they may have a "coverage issue", she may not be covered in the vehicle she was driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 1/28/05 | 03:49 PM
Bullitt Member

You better step up to the plate on this one my friend ... Do not use the wait and see attitude. The only person that will get it done for you is you. If you wait for your insurance contacts to do anything, your sorely mistaken ...
Coverage issue my butt ... Get YOUR insurance companies lawyers into the frey also. That is what they pay them for ....

Hope it all turns out for the better for you .... keep the heat on ...
Old 1/28/05 | 03:54 PM
I lust for a M24

Yup, now it's lawyer time. Good luck. Driving a Benz, there's assets to go after somewhere.
Old 1/28/05 | 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sue the mean lady !!

Make her have to sell her home and live in the street like bag lady !!

Edit by Galaxie: No bypassing of language filters :nono:
Old 1/28/05 | 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

First, my heart goes out to you.....

I totaled my wife's new Avalon in 2000 the day after we bought it. ( Long story and not my fault ) So, I know what you are going through.

It sounds silly, but the fact that you are ok really is great news...

I really think the Insurance company should get you a new car. Let them sell it after the repair to recover some of their cost. ( The car is in high demand and you should point this out )

If they do not give you a check for a new car, they will have to pay you a check for the loss of value of your car ( this could buy a lot of mods )

Also, you might be able to get a set of rally stripes out of the deal since most of the car will have to be repainted.

I usually do not agree with getting a lawyer at this point, but if the ladies INS company is already trying to back out is a very bad sign. However, DO NOT threaten to sue them in writing or over the phone ( you are being recorded ) because the insurance company can legellay say ok we will wait for a settlement in court before they do ANYTHING. That could take months ( maybe a year ). All a laywer should do at this point is call/write and make requests for all information ( NO THREATS ) This usualy gets the ball rolling and lets them know you are serious without causing you additional grief due to delays.

I wish you luck.....
Old 1/28/05 | 06:08 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Nice wheels on your '05 Stang.
Old 1/28/05 | 06:15 PM
I'm people, and I like.

:cry:

that is one sad site
but i am very glad that you came out without a scratch ^_^
Old 1/28/05 | 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

glad u r ok and sorry to hear about the incident
Old 1/29/05 | 09:17 AM
GT Member

Glad to hear your o.k. I also have a Satin Silver so as soon as I saw those pictures I had to go to the garage & make sure it wasn't my car. Had the same thing happen to my 2000 about a month after I got it so I know how upsetting this can be. Just have to keep telling yourself that it's just a car & no one was hurt so you'll be back in the saddle again soon.
Old 1/29/05 | 09:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

How are they even going to fix that? You probably need:

Rad support
Hood
Fenders
Lights
Grille
Rad
Accessories

Plus the subframes are accordioned.

Are cars the same after you fix them after an accident like this?

Edit, whoops, this thread had another 3 pages I didn't see. I guess they're not the same.. I figured as much.

On another note my '86 ran into the back of other vehicles TWICE while being driven by the original owner. It was fixed both times, My front framerails look like poo from the wheel side but ok from the engine side, there are cracks on the inner fenders, and they actually fixed the hood the second time instead of replacing it.

The car drives great, but it is a fox body.
Old 1/29/05 | 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I just shed a tear! Glad your OK. :cry: :cry:
Old 1/31/05 | 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

didn't bother to read 1/2 the posts as i've been in this situation having had my 99' COBRA Convertible stolen out of the dealership and damaged-------tell them you were working out the warranty kinks on the vehicle and planning on "collectible" status...............get a new vehicle--------------hands down, no question bro.........................a repaired vehicle is truly never the same...hate to be the bearer of doom, but you could have the next most perfect thing to the ALMIGHTY himself work on that vehicle and you will lose out..............
Old 1/31/05 | 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hate when that happens

The important thing though is that you walked away from it.
Old 2/5/05 | 08:15 PM

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@January 28, 2005, 4:57 PM
Yup, now it's lawyer time. Good luck. Driving a Benz, there's assets to go after somewhere.
Glad to hear your ok ... and really that is the most important thing.

As far as getting the vehicle replaced.... it is NOT YOUR option. If you read your insurance contract (policy) it will state that the INSURANCE company has the right to repair or replace at their discretion. Unless you purchased a rider / additional coverage to give you the right to make the decision. This is standard practice and they are not trying to screw you.

Insurance companies are governed VERY closely by each states Insurance Dept ... if any funny business occurs from ONE claim the state could stop the offending insurance company from doing further business.

As far as diminished value I would definitely push for it becuase the 1st thing a dealer asks you when you trade a car in is if it has ever been in an accident. The value of the car really is LOWER on a repaired car.

This is just my 2 cents ..... again luckily your OK and thats the most important thing.
Old 2/5/05 | 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Hold on....you are trying to tell me that if you are driving down a main road, and someone pulls out of a secondary road or parking lot when you have a right of way, you are at fault? I mean, if he T-boned her, and he was doing the speed limit, that evidence speaks for itself. There would be no other way to wind up T-boning someone on a main thoroughfare if they didn't pull out in front of you.
Old 2/5/05 | 08:42 PM

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@February 5, 2005, 9:26 PM
Hold on....you are trying to tell me that if you are driving down a main road, and someone pulls out of a secondary road or parking lot when you have a right of way, you are at fault? I mean, if he T-boned her, and he was doing the speed limit, that evidence speaks for itself. There would be no other way to wind up T-boning someone on a main thoroughfare if they didn't pull out in front of you.
I pulled that part out of my reply because he stated at some point in the post that he was found 100% NOT at fault which is absolutely crazy in my opinion. The lawyers would have a field day with this one. Also keep in mind just because he is determined to be 100% NOT at fault for the settlement of the property damage has NOTHING to do with any bodily injury claim. I have personally witnessed claims that where settled at 100% on the property damage side only to see 10, 20, or 30% fault assinged on the INJURY side of the claim.

Anyway I was an adjuster for 5 years in NY. In your scenario yes you are at fault. Depending on where YOU TBONE/HIT the other person will determine the %. Typical it was 10% per panel.
So if you hit somebody
in the front fender your 10% at fault .... you barely saw the car coming.
Side door is 20% your fault, your saw the front of the car go by you.
Rear 1/4 panel 30% your fault, 2/3 of the car passed in front of you before you hit it.

The logic behind this is that YOU have a clearer line of vision in front of you to see the car and if your doing the speed limit you would an opportunity to avoid the accident. Their was a term for this which I cannot remember. Keep in mind YOU are hitting the other car, THEY are a majority at fault because YOU had the right of way.

Unless their are skid marks it is very difficult to determine the speed which all vehicles are traveling

The only way somebody is not at fault at all is if THEY are rear ended by somebody.
Old 2/5/05 | 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Michael A+February 5, 2005, 9:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michael A @ February 5, 2005, 9:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KansasCityTim@February 5, 2005, 9:26 PM
I pulled that part out of my reply because he stated at some point in the post that he was found 100% NOT at fault which is absolutely crazy in my opinion. The lawyers would have a field day with this one. Also keep in mind just because he is determined to be 100% NOT at fault for the settlement of the property damage has NOTHING to do with any bodily injury claim. I have personally witnessed claims that where settled at 100% on the property damage side only to see 10, 20, or 30% fault assinged on the INJURY side of the claim.

Anyway I was an adjuster for 5 years in NY. In your scenario yes you are at fault. Depending on where YOU TBONE/HIT the other person will determine the %. Typical it was 10% per panel.
So if you hit somebody: in the front fender your 10% at fault.
: Side door is 20% your fault.
: Rear 1/4 panel 30% your fault.

The logic behind this is that YOU have a clearer line of vision in front of you to see the car and if your doing the speed limit you would an opportunity to avoid the accident. Their was a term for this which I cannot remember. Keep in mind YOU are hitting the other car, THEY are a majority at fault because YOU had the right of way.

The only way somebody is not at fault at all is if THEY are rear ended by somebody.
[/b][/quote]

So, if some idiot pulls out in front of you 50 ft away, you are supposed to be able to magically make your 1.5 ton car stop?

Quick Reply: 45 mph crash in my 05 GT