2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

45 mph crash in my 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/05 | 10:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Man that stinks :bang: :bang:

Glad that your ok. I hope that your back on the road asap.
Good luck
Old 1/27/05 | 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hate, HATE fixing up a damaged car... they always have some inherent problems that never go away once they get as damaged as those photos show... Sorry for the optimism, lol...

Did you have GAP protection? Otherwise, you're paying (or paid) near $28,000 for a car that's now only worth like $15,000 thanks to the damage. Oye vey, lol, I am just a ball of sunshine after seeing those pics...
Old 1/27/05 | 10:33 AM
GT Member

I have heard of some people making the insurance companies pay
them a loss of value settlement on top of fixing the car. Basically
it has to do with the theory that no matter how well the car is fixed
the resale value will probably go down due to the accident. However
I would think that you would probably have to get a lawyer to pull
anything like this off, I would contact my insurance company and see
if they had any advise on how to handle such a situation.

Also if they decide to replace it, I would make them give me a rental
car until an exact replacement can be found. If it had IUP and you
have to order a new one it could take months.

Sorry to hear about the accident, if it's any consolation the wheels look
great, I would love to see some pre-crash photos if you have any.
Old 1/27/05 | 10:35 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Glad no one was hurt....I wanted crash test ratings but did not wish that on anyone here. Hope they fix it good as new. Good Luck
Old 1/27/05 | 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I would start complaining of aches and pains .... I know this sounds bad, but did you have any injuries that were noticeable like bruises or bleeding? Take pictures if you still have the bruises.

I would tell this woman that unless she gets you a new car you are going to see what a lawyer can do for you on your pain and suffereing for her negligence.

She drives a Merc for Pete's sake .... She can get you a new one .... I wouldn't back off of this one with the damage you sustained ....
Old 1/27/05 | 11:58 AM

Wow, that is truly a sad picture Glad you are ok though!!
Old 1/27/05 | 12:11 PM

<- asian lady " I dunno where he came from"

I feel bad .. OMG!! I wish i had a mustang.. do tha new ones still have that loud engine sound.. tha VRRRRRROOOOOOMMMMMMMM!! ?

im glad that u are ok tho.. and do u get paid from tha lady's insurance since it was her fault? and post tha pic wen u fix it up...

LMAO at -->>snkbtn99

He is right... dats wat my driver's ed teacher sed. if u get in a car crash and ur not tha wrong person.. then complain bout neck pains.. cuz they cant tell if u have neck pains or not. and sue tha female dog!! >(money, money, money monaaaayyyyy!!)
Old 1/27/05 | 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

wow sorry to hear about your accident hopefully it will be ok...maybe you can use this as an excuse as a time to get some aftermarket parts for her....Also got to say those are some sweet looking wheels you have on it...
Old 1/27/05 | 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by CP94GT@January 27, 2005, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident, if it's any consolation the wheels look
great, I would love to see some pre-crash photos if you have any.
Yeah, I'm good with waiting for an exact match replacement.

Here's how she used to look...
Old 1/27/05 | 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

All I can say is you better get a Lawyer NOW!. They will try to screw you anyway they can man!
Old 1/27/05 | 06:43 PM
I lust for a M24

OK, I have to try to end a few myths. Insurance companies don't total cars just becuase it looks ugly and/or the airbags blew. Total loss is determined based on if it's more cost effective to total the car or if it's cheaper to repair the car to it's preloss condition. If your car is taken to a good bodyshop, your car should be as good as new. That is the biggest determination. PICK A GOOD BODYSHOP!!! THEY (not the insurane company) are fixing your car. ONLY pick a shop that gives a LIFETIME guarantee on their repairs. If the shop is thorough, you should have no problems. Talk to the shop and make sure that they and the insurance company agree on the repairs and that none of the repairs made will compromise the structural integrity of the car. If the insurance company insists on repairing something that should be replaced, then raise heck. Shops have the technology and skill to get this done right.
Also, some insurance companies are horrible, just like many lawyers will take advantage of you. Avoid a lawyer unless you think you might need it. Your bodyshop will be your best ally against the insurance company, they're experts on repairing cars, not lawyers.
Lastly, the worst thing you can do is immediately start yelling and being an jerk to the insurance guy comming out to look at your car. Most of us (me) are car guys, that's how we got into this in the first place. When I see someone's brand new car damaged I feel bad for them and do whatever I can to help them out. But if I get there and someone is being difficult right-away, it doesn't make me easy to get along with and willing to bend over to help them.
If you're keeping your car for the long term (keeping it as a collectible), and you still want it totalled, then you can start complaining about diminished value. This is the only time I would involve a lawyer. They may be able to persuade your adjuster that with the repair cost plus deminished value, the payout would be less for them to just total the car. Diminished value is a relatively new concept in the insurane industry, not all are willing to pay it because most cars are sold within the next few years, and with a proper repair job, there should be no sign of an accident, therefore the potential buyer will be willing to pay the full market value of the car. Just trying to help, and as I said earlier, good luck CelticStanger. Be cool.
Old 1/27/05 | 07:04 PM
GT Member

and with a proper repair job, there should be no sign of an accident,
therefore the potential buyer will be willing to pay the full market value of the car.
Now I realize there are some really good body shops out there, but do you really
think that car can be replaced and have absolutely no signs of ever being
wrecked? Do you really think even a good body shop could match up the orange
peal in the factory paint. Also what about services such as carfax? Do they only
show accidents for that vin# if the car was totaled.

I will be the first to agree that the car probably doesn't have enough damage to
be considered totaled, but on the same note I have never had a car come back
from a wreck the same as it was prior. There is always a new squeek, rattle,
pop, crack, or something that doesn't work the way it did before, just my
experiences.

celticstanger, wow, she was fine, love the wheels, what size were they, also
what springs are on the car. My wife would kill me if I lowered another mustang,
especially a new one, I may have to wait a while before I can pull that one off,
but they really make the car look alot better.

Anyway hope the repairs go well, I would have to agree with 05GT-O.C.D.,
the insurance company is probably treat you as you treat them, but I would
fight for deminished value especially on a car that new.
Old 1/27/05 | 07:16 PM
I lust for a M24

"Now I realize there are some really good body shops out there, but do you really
think that car can be replaced and have absolutely no signs of ever being
wrecked? Do you really think even a good body shop could match up the orange
peal in the factory paint. Also what about services such as carfax? Do they only
show accidents for that vin# if the car was totaled."

I don't know too much about carfax, I too would like someone w/ experience to chime in. I've had accidents, I never reported them to carfax or the state, I don't know where carfax gets their info. Anyone know?

The average buyer would not notice the orange peel, the paint should be blended to help insure an invisible repair. The key is that only someone knowing exactly what to look for would be able to tell if it was wrecked. The vast majority would have no idea, the car would keep it's value.

"I will be the first to agree that the car probably doesn't have enough damage to
be considered totaled, but on the same note I have never had a car come back
from a wreck the same as it was prior. There is always a new squeek, rattle,
pop, crack, or something that doesn't work the way it did before, just my
experiences."

True in many circumstances, complain about the problem to the shop, the shop should contact the insurance company to pay for the resolution. Again, the shop will be your key ally in dealing with the ins co.
Old 1/27/05 | 07:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

05GT-OCD - thanks for the input. It's nice to hear the insurance company side of things. That's what I like about this board....people from all walks of life educating others in their field of expertise. One thing bothers me though. The talk about not being able to tell it was in an accident...most people buying a used car ask if it's ever been in an accident. I don't want someone lying to me about that. I don't volunteer the info, but if they ask, I tell.
Old 1/27/05 | 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just a funny off topic note, since reading this post I have had two seperate Asian ladies pull out in front of my car where i have had to slam on the brakes. On the second one i was only about an inch and a half from her door. Whats even funnier is that the one even looked at me when she was pulling out like she was waiting until i passed but never stopped. half the drivers in socal are so clueless it's sad.
Old 1/27/05 | 08:21 PM
I lust for a M24

Florida's the same way, except for they're not Asian, they're Old!

...So the '05's got good brakes then???
Old 1/27/05 | 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

ours are worse, they're old asian.
Old 1/27/05 | 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

My 96 does.
Old 1/27/05 | 08:25 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by stoic21@January 27, 2005, 10:26 PM
ours are worse, they're old asian.
Old 1/27/05 | 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

definitely try for a replace, or at least get repairs from a good bodyshop and $ for diminished value.

6 months after I got my car, a guy ran a light and hit me in my drivers side door. Since it was practically new, I made the ins. co. replace all the damaged parts, not repair. Still not good enough. ALL the squeaks, rattles, etc come from that side. I know the pre-'05's have rattles and such, but can it really be a coincidence that they ALL come from the side that got hit?

Quick Reply: 45 mph crash in my 05 GT