2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

**3,299 Mustangs Sitting in Rail Yard**

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/05, 10:59 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
If you know your railcar number, you'll know when the train leaves Flatrock. Mine left Griffith, IN on the 27th headed for there. Hasn't arrived yet. Don't think I'll make that 3/9 ETA.
Old 3/5/05, 11:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by GOFISCH@March 4, 2005, 5:10 PM
If they told you its at the ramp, it with the 3,298 others. I was told this by the analyst and the sales manager was told the same thing by whomever she calls. This is a terrible way to do business.
So how exactly is a lack of railcars Ford's fault? They don't own the railroads. They only get as many as the railroad will allocate to them. Some of you guys need to get a grip on reality.
Old 3/5/05, 11:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK maybe that ONE isn't there fault.
Old 3/6/05, 07:25 AM
rex
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GOFISCH+March 6, 2005, 8:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOFISCH @ March 6, 2005, 8:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by TomServo92@March 6, 2005, 1:51 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-GOFISCH
@March 4, 2005, 5:10 PM
If they told you its at the ramp, it with the 3,298 others. I was told this by the analyst and the sales manager was told the same thing by whomever she calls. This is a terrible way to do business.

So how exactly is a lack of railcars Ford's fault? They don't own the railroads. They only get as many as the railroad will allocate to them. Some of you guys need to get a grip on reality.
Its called planning, they knew they were going to have a back log. Order more cars or hire transports. Distribution is not rocket science its good planning and having alternative plans. What is making it worse is people that have ordered months after me getting their cars by rail, before me. And before you say it I know there are others that have waited longer than me. But this is my thread to whine in.
[/b][/quote]

Exactly!!!
Old 3/6/05, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[/quote=GOFISCH,March 6, 2005, 8:18 AM][quote=TomServo92,March 6, 2005, 1:51 AM]
Originally Posted by GOFISCH,March 4, 2005, 5:10 PM

Gee look what is passing my house right now as I type this. Empty train car carriers! All going south! I guess I should call Ford and complain but since my car hasn't been built yet!
Old 3/6/05, 07:55 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The RobotLady says my car Has Been Shipped Via Rail Carrier, does that mean I got around the hold? Or am I car # 3299? I called the dealer, he says his systems been down and can't get the rail car number, go figure, but he says it should be here this week... what's your thoughts?
Old 3/6/05, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GOFISCH+March 4, 2005, 6:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOFISCH @ March 4, 2005, 6:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hellcat6@March 4, 2005, 5:07 PM
Hard to know who to believe. Do you think that all the Mustangs leaving the plant that need rail transportation go to the same railhead for outbound destinations? Or do they use several? My car was built on the 23rd and the computer lady said it is now at the ramp as of March 1st. So why would mine escape this clog and yours did not? Maybe it's just shipments in a particular direction that are held up? We'll never know but all this speculation helps pass the time.
[/b][/quote]

I don't think that is correct. The sequence after being built seems to be:
Released by foreign assembly plant.
Shipped by convoy carrier (probably from production line to railhead, short ride?).
Shipped via rail carrier.
Unit has arrived at the ramp (mixing yard in your region).
Shipped by convoy carrier (to the dealership).

So if you are at the ramp, that means the mixing yard at the end of the train ride, waiting for a truck to final destination. Of course I have been stuck at the ramp for a week now so that's not much better. But if you are at the ramp you have escaped this reported backlog.
Old 3/6/05, 08:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Originally posted by Hellcat6+March 6, 2005, 9:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hellcat6 @ March 6, 2005, 9:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by GOFISCH@March 4, 2005, 6:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Hellcat6
@March 4, 2005, 5:07 PM
Hard to know who to believe. Do you think that all the Mustangs leaving the plant that need rail transportation go to the same railhead for outbound destinations? Or do they use several? My car was built on the 23rd and the computer lady said it is now at the ramp as of March 1st. So why would mine escape this clog and yours did not? Maybe it's just shipments in a particular direction that are held up? We'll never know but all this speculation helps pass the time.

I don't think that is correct. The sequence after being built seems to be:
Released by foreign assembly plant.
Shipped by convoy carrier (probably from production line to railhead, short ride?).
Shipped via rail carrier.
Unit has arrived at the ramp (mixing yard in your region).
Shipped by convoy carrier (to the dealership).

So if you are at the ramp, that means the mixing yard at the end of the train ride, waiting for a truck to final destination. Of course I have been stuck at the ramp for a week now so that's not much better. But if you are at the ramp you have escaped this reported backlog.
[/b][/quote]

It's confusing how they do it. Mine was first shipped by convoy carrier, then by rail on two different dates. It appears that mine left Flat Rock on a truck to the mixing yard in Memphis, was railed back to the plant with others for some inspection, then shipped by rail to Louisiana.

Whenever your cars arrive, inspect them closely for rail dust; mine was covered with the stuff and had to be clay barred and waxed by the dealer, under warranty.
Old 3/6/05, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by GOFISCH+March 6, 2005, 8:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOFISCH @ March 6, 2005, 8:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
<!--QuoteBegin-GOFISCH

Its called planning, they knew they were going to have a back log. Order more cars or hire transports. Distribution is not rocket science its good planning and having alternative plans. What is making it worse is people that have ordered months after me getting their cars by rail, before me. And before you say it I know there are others that have waited longer than me. But this is my thread to whine in.
[/b][/quote]

Planning or not, there are things that happen beyond Ford's control. You say order more cars or hire transports as if they can snap their fingers and they magically appear. Like I said before, that's not very realistic. That being said, I fully understand the need to whine about it.
Old 3/6/05, 10:08 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by rex@March 5, 2005, 7:00 PM
yeah but on the other hand...isn't it nice to finally have a car that makes you emotional again...?? You wouldn't be this upset if you were waiting for a camry!!!
It would be nice if I had a car, period. I sold my perfect 2002 Mustang GT a couple days before mine was SUPPOSED to be delivered. Now I have to drive a rented Focus while I wait for Ford to decide it is good and ready to ship my car. Meanwhile, nothing has stopped the company from continuing to build and ship other peoples' cars. I was told in October 8-10 weeks. I'd probably have it by Christmas. We're on week 18 now, and I am a very, very unhappy customer. :angry:
Old 3/6/05, 10:15 AM
rex
Mach 1 Member

Obviouly the lesson here is...."don't just shop for price and service...Shop for price, service, and ALLOCATION!"
Old 3/6/05, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by rex@March 6, 2005, 11:18 AM
Obviouly the lesson here is...."don't just shop for price and service...Shop for price, service, and ALLOCATION!"
Or do what I'm doing...wait for '06! I decided before the first '05 hit the lots that I'd wait. I didn't want to fight the high demand with it's dealer greed and the other issues.
Old 3/6/05, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

Went to my dealer yesterday just to sit in the floor model....needed a fix, don't-cha-know. The general manager came out and took me into his office where he sat down and started on the computer. Turns out my car arrived at the holding station at Benicia on Friday... .a little over an hours drive from here....... along with 11 other Mustangs he has coming in. I should have mine sometime this next week. :worship:

It's been 10 weeks today, which is what they told me when I ordered (8-10 weeks). I've read about the priority number on the order sheet and how it goes up to 99...... those with something like a 10-20 in good shape, and those with a 99 basically out of luck. For those of you with a 99....hang in there, because that's what my priority number is.... 99 So I question the real meaning of that #.
Old 3/6/05, 12:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by GOFISCH@March 6, 2005, 11:57 AM
There is a lot in this that is in Fords control. Quality control, planning for the unexpected. Dealers and Ford screwing customers that have already ordered cars. Not delivering by order date, but by some political allocation, who complains the most process.
I'm not disputing any that. I'm only disputing contention that it's Ford's fault that there aren't enough transport carriers.
Old 3/6/05, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey good news! I just counted 110 carriers heading north all empty. I hope you get your car soon! Wasn't being mean just truthful.
Old 3/6/05, 02:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by GOFISCH+March 6, 2005, 10:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOFISCH @ March 6, 2005, 10:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
<!--QuoteBegin-GOFISCH

[/b][/quote]

EXACTLY! I believe the guy that schedules the build and the person who lines up the railcars is one and the same. Imagine that! :bang:

Quick Reply: **3,299 Mustangs Sitting in Rail Yard**