2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

06 Hot wire in steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/22, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 Hot wire in steering wheel.

I'm working on installing an aftermarket audio controller into the stock 06 V6 steering wheel. And I'm trying to avoid running a power wire all the way through the steering wheel and column myself.
So I'm hoping someone knows if there's a hot wire in the steering wheel I can connect to. Preferably powered on and off with the ignition.

Thank you
Old 4/18/22, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I do not believe there are any spare wires available, nor are they of sufficient amperage carrying to supply much of anything other than signals anyway. The steering controls are more communications lines in the '06, unlike previous models. Horn button, cruise control, all that 'talks' to the Smart Junction Box (SJB) in the passenger kick panel, and that box is what actually turns the horn on or tells the PCM what speed you want or to go faster or slower. Lamps in the controls are led and very low amps.

Here's the horn circuit for the wheel. Notice the power comes from the SJB to the clockspring and horn button, then back out to ground. The horn button grounding the circuit out lets the relay in the SJB activate the horn. It's low amperage, but it is on, and I wouldn't trust it to power anything else lest one wind up abusing the low current board and wind up needing a new one... aka a new SJB.
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Horn,%2...%20Lighter.pdf

The other controls and lamps are shown here:
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Speed%20Control.pdf&p=1
as you can see they don't carry current to speak of either.

It appears there are five wires total you could get at the actual wheel, and all of them are taken and should not be used IMO. However, there was a post about running a wire through the clockspring and into the wheel for such things, and here it is! Not mine, but I saved it:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...spring-547944/

Hope that helps, be careful, and good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 4/18/22 at 08:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
random667 (4/18/22)
Old 4/18/22, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Welcome to the forums!

I do not believe there are any spare wires available, nor are they of sufficient amperage carrying to supply much of anything other than signals anyway. The steering controls are more communications lines in the '06, unlike previous models. Horn button, cruise control, all that 'talks' to the Smart Junction Box (SJB) in the passenger kick panel, and that box is what actually turns the horn on or tells the PCM what speed you want or to go faster or slower. Lamps in the controls are led and very low amps.

Here's the horn circuit for the wheel. Notice the power comes from the SJB to the clockspring and horn button, then back out to ground. The horn button grounding the circuit out lets the relay in the SJB activate the horn. It's low amperage, but it is on, and I wouldn't trust it to power anything else lest one wind up abusing the low current board and wind up needing a new one... aka a new SJB.
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Horn,%2...%20Lighter.pdf

The other controls and lamps are shown here:
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Speed%20Control.pdf&p=1
as you can see they don't carry current to speak of either.

It appears there are five wires total you could get at the actual wheel, and all of them are taken and should not be used IMO. However, there was a post about running a wire through the clockspring and into the wheel for such things, and here it is! Not mine, but I saved it:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...spring-547944/

Hope that helps, be careful, and good luck!
Exactly what I was looking for and afraid of.
Great info, thank you!
Old 4/24/22, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I may not be reading this right, but if I am, then using a 2010 up steering wheel, with audio controls is the easiest setup.

I put audio controls on my 07 with a 2012 GT steering wheel, swapped the right side controller, and now I have audio controls from my SW. I had to use two WPT440s (new # now), and make the harness to plug using my clockspring. It is quite doable, and not that time-consuming. I did a write-up on this forum on how to make this add-on. I posted it many years ago and to this day, my 07 Base, has audio controls that work flawlessly with the later S197 steering wheel.

Note: doing this with a stock factory Mustang radio head will not work. The OEM Mustang radio won't have the audio controls set up internally. I used a Sable factory navigation head. Worked perfectly, and the Sables and some Taurus have the radio controls active. Fusion and Edge also will swap as well as some F150 heads with audio controls can be used as well.

I have since gone to an Android-style radio, keeping the strg/wheel controls available. I have android radios in all 4 of my vehicles now, all with navigation and Bluetooth. A much better way to drive with hands-free operation, IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by akdoggie:
random667 (4/24/22), VGMStudios (5/11/22)
Old 4/24/22, 12:53 PM

I'm using an android tablet connected to an aftermarket head unit through its audio jack. I chose a Sony z4 tablet because it has fm, gps, compass, 4G, Lineage OS, and a big screen. I cut slots in the vertical dash pillars to mount it.

I have to use a Bluetooth controller to control the tablet. I found a nice circular one with a chrome ring that matches the vents in the dash, I'm going to cut a hole in the steering wheel to hold it permanently. But I need to run a cable up to it for power.

Last edited by random667; 5/9/22 at 11:53 PM.
Old 5/9/22, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
I had to use two WPT440s (new # now), and make the harness to plug using my clockspring. It is quite doable, and not that time-consuming. I did a write-up on this forum on how to make this add-on. I posted it many years ago and to this day, my 07 Base, has audio controls that work flawlessly with the later S197 steering wheel.
Ok, I see what you're saying now, I didn't know what the clock spring was.
Inside the 05-09 steering wheel there is a lower socket that is capped off and not used.
You can remove the cap and connect to that.
Then remove the lower cover that the key switch comes out of, and connect to the unused socket on the bottom of the clock spring.
This will work perfect, I only need one 5v wire since there is already a ground in the steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
akdoggie (5/11/22)