Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 lower ball joint..

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/13, 12:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 lower ball joint..

So i just got some new shoes on my ride but was told i have a bad ball joint. Ive looked around and seems like better of just replacing the whole control arm with the ball joint already pressed in.
So my question is should i go with something like moog which has grease fittings, or something like the frpp lower control arms.. I wanna think the frpp are better but i also like the fact that moog has grease fittings for maintenance... What are your opinions or experience with this..?? Thx

2005 mustang gt coupe...
Old 7/29/13, 06:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
They both make quality products. Heck for all I know moog may make the pieces for frpp. Most are greesed for life now a days
Old 7/29/13, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I replaced my front LCA with FRPP LCA's from Northcoast Performance nthcoast.com for $261. They were a lot better than the stock ones. These are oem for the SVT Mustang.
Old 7/30/13, 10:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Gigantor
I replaced my front LCA with FRPP LCA's from Northcoast Performance nthcoast.com for $261. They were a lot better than the stock ones. These are oem for the SVT Mustang.
Did u replace them yourself? Or go to a shop? If u did it urself, did u have to unbolt and move the steering rack?
Old 7/30/13, 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05mu5tang
Did u replace them yourself? Or go to a shop? If u did it urself, did u have to unbolt and move the steering rack?
Yes I replaced them myself, and I didn't have to remove the tie rod ends or steering rack. The bolts were hard to remove from underneath the car but then I tried with an extension from the engine bay.
Old 7/30/13, 10:36 PM
V6 Member

Cool... Thx. I will definitely try it myself..
Old 8/3/13, 09:02 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
I've recently noticed that whenever going over a bump or uneven road surface, I hear this really loud clunking noise like metal hitting against metal and it's coming from the front on the passenger side..

What I don't understand is, I don't notice any vibrations, steering related issues or any type of wheel wobble and when on smooth road surfaces everything seems to be fine..

So my question is.. Could my problem be the lower ball joint or could it be the front stabilizer bar bushings ?

Also, I did have my lower control arm and upper strut mount assembly replaced by the dealership just under 2 years ago and hope they don't need replaced again as I've only put around 8000 miles or so since the dealership did the replacements..

In the meantime, I'd really appreciate any feedback and advice that can be provided..

Thanks, Rocky
Old 8/5/13, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

quote from m05fastbackGT "So my question is.. Could my problem be the lower ball joint or could it be the front stabilizer bar bushings ?"

I had a similar clunking sound and it was due to a front stabilizer link that wasn't tightened down properly. After that no more clunk.
Old 8/5/13, 09:11 PM

quote from m05fastbackGT "So my question is.. Could my problem be the lower ball joint or could it be the front stabilizer bar bushings ?"

I had a similar clunking sound and it was due to a front stabilizer link that wasn't tightened down properly. After that no more clunk.
That's what I'm thinking as well Alex !
Old 8/15/13, 11:09 PM

Alex ! Just wanted to give you an update.. I took my car in yesterday and it was confirmed that my stabilizer link was definitely responsible for the clunking noises in which I was hearing..

In the meantime, the dealership went ahead and replaced it, and no more clunking sounds at all..

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks once again for all your feedback and support
Old 8/16/13, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Rocky great to hear it. I know you must be real happy the clunking is gone. It drove me nuts. Swapping out my front sway bar tomorrow, I got it at the AM show this past weekend.

I was amazed that with such a large gathering of Mustangs, I was the only Black N Tan car at the show. Plenty of Black on Black Verts but I was unique. Go figure.
Old 8/16/13, 11:07 PM

I know exactly what you mean Alex, as I going friggin crazy trying to figure out if it was the Stabilizer Link or Lower Ball Joint and didn't think it was the LBJ being as the entire Lower Control Arm Assembly was replaced under ESP warranty just under 2 years ago..

I'm just glad that took care of the clunking noise and will more than likely go aftermarket just as you did by replacing your Stabilizer bar as well..

Anyway, glad everything went well at the AM auto show and wished I could had been there.. Hopefully next year, I'll be there too
Old 8/18/13, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Rocky, I swapped the front sway bar and the ride now is ridiculous. No more understeer and now more oversteer if you want it. Just press down on the accelerator and drift. When taking sharp curves the car doesn't lean like before, it's almost like being in a roller coaster. I'm going to start a new topic on my suspension mods. Now I can make use of the power the car has and my next step is to mod the engine. Most likely a supercharger.