1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Tranny Help

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/08, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Help

I got an 01 GT thats having some tranny probs.I own the early 01 but the tranny says Tremmec so me and the parts dealer come up with that it has the Tremec 3650 of which I replaced the clutch on in Sep.06.Throwout bearing was bad.Now back around xmas 07 I started hearing some rattling noise just like when the throwout bearing went before,it would stop when i pushed in the clutch,and if i had the windows down I could hear some noise while changing through the first 2 or 3 gears, but it only lasted about a week then stopped making any noise and with in a day or 2 I noticed the tranny having probs changing from 2nd to 3rd while driving and hard to go into 1st or reverse at a stop.But the only times it gives me these probs is if i go over 3k on the rpm's,under that and it all drives fine.It now does it in all gears while goin over 3k rpm's,but if I go over that but hold the clutch in until it idles down under 3k I can usually change without problems.The prob it gives is ether a grind or kinda of a notching in feeling.Im assuming the synchros are bad,but could it be something else,clutch again,clutch fork or whatever?If the synchos are bad i was wondering why I was hearing that noise(kinda rattle to chirping sound) before the current prob arose.Also I think a couple of times early in the morn while it was cold out I think the tranny popped out of first gear as I was pushing in the clutch.
Old 2/26/08, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say that you have a bad clutch and throw out bearing. I own a Transmission shop so I know a little about these things...lol When you changed the clutch and throw out last time did you change the pilot bearing in the crank? This can sometimes cause issues. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Old 2/29/08, 06:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I would say that you have a bad clutch and throw out bearing. I own a Transmission shop so I know a little about these things...lol When you changed the clutch and throw out last time did you change the pilot bearing in the crank? This can sometimes cause issues. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
also check the imput shaft for too much play. if it wiggles up it might indicate a worn bearing. That happened to a friend of mine with his 90 gt vert.