1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/19, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seats

Wondering what's involved in putting front seats from a 2018 stang in my 2004 gt
Old 12/21/19, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I looked into this a while back, and... yeah, pass. Long story short, it can be done, but you'll need to fabricate/modify things to make it happen.

The 2018 seats are way not the same bolting in as the '04s. The '18 bracket fronts bolt in straight down, as opposed to the '04s bolting in from the 'front'. The rears all bolt down. The holes are mis-aligned as well for front-back overall situation.

You'd have to fashion a bracket to turn down the front bolt. Use a bolt to bolt that bracket to the front of the seat bracket, then bolt them into the '04's bolting area.

You may have to drill or such the rear to get them mounted, or if you use their existing holes, then modify the bracketry up front.

There is also a thought that bolting brackets to the front is not the best idea, and welding them might be a better one.

There is also the reality that no wiring exists to connect the seat to the car, should you want all that power stuff. You'll be hand-wiring the seat in, which may include all new power run from the battery to do the job.

AND... finally... the seats are absolutely not the same height. You'll want to cut a hole in the roof of your '04 if you don't have a convertible so you can get the headroom you're going to be missing. Unless you're short like me, then maybe it's beneficial. The front of the seat is also semi-fixed, the bottom is not attached to the back, so the tilt is achieved by raising the bottom's rear portion, not tilting the entire seat. I found that... unsettling?... to be honest.

Overall, in this person's opinion, it's not worth the effort, and I'd advise you to inspect the '05-14 seats instead, which are dang near bolt in, I believe. They didn't change the frame layouts since the '79 model.

Anyone who knows even more than I, chime in! I don't mind bein' corrected. Just what I remember when I said "yeah, ok, I'll not be doin' that m'self."

And all THAT being said... if you have the overall know how to do things(tm), a Dremel or other knockoff of such ilk, and a hammer, plus a welder, maybe a cutting torch, other tools of needfulness, beer or other refreshments, time, paint, materials... a few things else I'm forgetting... room to play in... overwhelming desire to force things that shouldn't(R)... You got this, get those seats in there!!