05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

looking to upgrade my seats

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/17, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
looking to upgrade my seats

So most, if not all of the aftermarket seats that i have found are all manual adjustment. I am old and have become very used to the comforts of my electric and heated seats. I have decided maybe the only way to do a swap and keep my comforts is to find a wrecked stang and swap the seats. So here is the question, will newer models say 2014 or 2015 seats work in my 2007?
thanks in advance

Last edited by texasgt/cs; 8/2/17 at 02:42 PM.
Old 8/2/17, 07:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
S197s (05-14) will swap out bolt wise, they're all the same there. Rears will be taller '10-14. Can't speak for wiring... '05-09 should mostly all work together, depending on options, but 10-14 may not, the pinouts and/or connectors might be different.

Easiest swap is an '05-09 power seat. You could also do the power seat rack itself, but you'll need the side panel for the switches unless you're gonna rig something up. In any event (and I'm assuming all '05-09s have the pigtails in the harness ready to go) that'll be a plug and play, easy peasy swap. If you have to do the wiring, though, that'll be a fun time. You can do it though, I believe in you.

10-14 will probably work, but I can't speak for the wiring. It might be different, and won't plug up without work. There'll be alignment issues in the back because styling is slightly different. They raised the tops up and put those headrests in, and therefore changed the package tray cover to match. They should overall work pretty easy though if you can get the wiring figured out if that's needed.

---

For '15+, Google for 's550 seats in s197' and there'll be threads devoted to this swap. They will work, but they're work, it won't sit the same, and the wiring is *definitely* not going to work without work.

The basics:

Front and rear seats all will need modifications to work. Both mounting and wiring.

It's trial and error in the back, but eventually you can get them to work. Brackets are in different places, seat bottom doesn't 'match' the rear seat pan, that sort of thing.

Front is a little easier, couple of directions to go. The rear bolt holes line up no problem. The front ones will need an adapter bracket made, which could be bolt on or welded, to change the front from 'downward' bolting to 'rearward' bolting. Also, there's a couple of locator pins on the S550 bracket that have to be removed, but they're supposedly just twist-off kind of a thing with some vice-grips.

The fronts will sit higher in the front, so you'll pretty much be 'pointed' upwards thigh wise. And the tilt works on the seat bottom *back* only, not the entire seat, so the only adjustment is butt-upwards/downwards. Levelling out (like I'd like more) is going to be difficult. You could put a spacer in the back, but the entire seat now is too tall you in for the car, most likely.

Speaking of... the wiring is not the same. You'll have to get wiring diagrams and *definitely* the S550 pigtails from a donor harness so you can rewire the seat correctly, or splice the seat with an S197 pigtail, or... make your own directly, if you wanna hack the car's original harness. Your call on that.

I mulled this over, but as I am short, this would not work for me. Shame, though, I REALLY like these seats so much... ah well. But the overall process is pretty simple if a bit tedious if you think you can live with the different seating arrangement.

Hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
texasgt/cs (8/3/17)
Old 8/3/17, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you so much, for the very detailed response. if i decide to upgrade I will most likely do a rear seat delete so that wont be an issue. My main concern is loosening the electric seat capability.

Last edited by texasgt/cs; 8/3/17 at 06:39 AM.
Old 8/3/17, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
10-14 will probably work, but I can't speak for the wiring. It might be different, and won't plug up without work. There'll be alignment issues in the back because styling is slightly different. They raised the tops up and put those headrests in, and therefore changed the package tray cover to match. They should overall work pretty easy though if you can get the wiring figured out if that's needed.
Well, not 100% true. Only the 11-14 had the headrests, the 10's didn't. I put the rear seats with the headrests in my 10 and had no issues at all. It might be a slight change from the 05-09 to the 10's, but the rear seats on 05-09 and 10 look pretty much the same, if you compare the pics. And as the 11-14 seats with the headrests fit perfectly without modification, there shouldn't be an issue.
Front seats is a different story.

LEXiiON
Old 8/4/17, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

thanks, but probably going to delete the rear seat anyway.
Old 8/11/17, 11:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
2007 does NOT have the wiring hooked up for the right side power seat if the OP is trying to do that also. The hook up wiring is there, but you will have to wire into the PD Box to make the right side work. Just adding a fuse doesn't complete the system.

I did the right side seat swap in 2009 for my 07. I found the wiring under the seat, but it was not attached at the PD Box. I have it hooked up and now have power to both front seats. I added the heaters for the back and bottom also, and put in the switches into the side panels, in front of the lumbar switch on the left, and in the same location on the right side.

I also, at the time, switched my cloth seat covers to the factory black leathers (pleathers??), and made the interior changes all at one time. I put in an 08 ambient light console, so that I have the light rings in the cup holders and on the floor. I added 4 other lights to the console, to give me better overall lighting.

I basically added every option that the 2012's and up had, as far as regular items, not the newer cluster though. I changed the sun visors to the newer lighted ones, changed the speaker rings to the 12's, outside mirrors, and a few other minor items. I also added a 2008 Taurus navigation radio, and a 2013 Boss Alcantra steering wheel, and did a build for the wiring for the radio controls.

I'm changing the radio head shortly to an Android designed unit, so that I can have all the options that I really want. I have this set up in both my F150's, my Fusion, and will now add it to the Mustang. Just keeping everything the same, so that nothing is different when driving. lol I have a write up on this site about adding audio controls to the factory setups. It can be used for aftermarket heads as well.

Does anyone need a full set of take off, Grey leather, seat covers? I have a spare set, that I'm going to get rid of.

Last edited by akdoggie; 8/11/17 at 11:19 AM.