1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Leak in vert top

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/12, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak in vert top

I have looked on a couple of forums and it looks like I am not alone. My '00 GT convertible has a leak that causes a puddle in the back of the car whenever it rains hard or I get the car washed. I was hoping someone could help me out with how they fixed it in theirs? Also for those sharing my problem, did the trunk get wet on the inside as well from the leak? I can't ind a problem with my trunks weather stripping but I always seem
To have water in there after that puddle forms.
Old 2/29/12, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Yep mine holds water also. Haven't really looked for the problem. Maybe have a friend get a garden hose and hose it down while your inside looking for how the water gets in.
Old 4/13/14, 09:57 AM

I have same problem. I am told by local canvas/upholstery guy that they will all leak, but that provisions were made in the design for interior drainage THROUGTH the innards of the car, between the door and the wheel. He says further that they clog up with leaves and stuff and eventually cause leaks and wet areas under the rear seats. Sounds like hoowie to me, but that is what he says. My new top has a gap in the gasket material under the rear window, between the back of the window and the front edge of the adjacent convertible top. Its about as big as a quarter. Just a gap in the gasket material, where water is free to (and does) go into. I suspect there is a better answer to the problem though.
Old 5/6/14, 08:16 AM

Are you getting a puddle in the vinyl flap behind the rear seat? My original top did this too. I found it was leaking in the corner of the rear window. I was ready to buy a new top anyways because mine has some pitting at the edges and the stitching was fraying....

Fortunately (if you want to call it that) A branch from my willow tree fell through the top when I went home for lunch and I was able to get a new top through my insurance company.

Anyways, check your rear window seals.

Also, since the new top was put on, I never go through auto washes. I hand wash and now the only drips I get are at the weather stripping above the door windows. I should really replace that weather stripping someday.