1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

help with my stang

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/07, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry help with my stang

my 2000 GT mustang has quit running it cranks but won't start the theft light blinks really fast and someone told me it was the pats pick up ring where is it located and is there another name for it because i can't find it anywhere by that name. and does anyone have a picture of it also the pats module where is it and does anyone have a picture of it.
Old 2/2/07, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
can you pull a spark after turning it over and see if the plug is wet from fuel?? How many miles are on it. Does it turn over fast or slow?
Old 2/3/07, 04:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member Eu Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The theftlight does seem to indicate PATS might be to blame... The 'chip inside the key idea' is the PATS system... (PATS = Passive Anti Theft System).

It means that aslong as a known chip is near the ignition, the car will start. When you have a key that has no chip (or an unrecognized one), even if it fits, and will turn, the car will refuse to start. So having your 'regular' key with you, and a non-chip key in the ignition will probably start the car. Remove the 'regular' key, and your car will basically refuse starting.

Killing the start can be done through killing the starter-engine. Doesn't seem to be the case here. So I'm guessing yours kills the fuelpump thereby depriving the engine of any fuel.

I did have it with my 99 Cougar once. Using an unrecognized key to start the car and finding it didn't wanna start. Well, then we use the 'regular' key (which I put away on the rear-seat to make sure the spare key would start the car). Great surprise when the car wouldn't start with that one aswell... Needed to wait 30 seconds before the system reset itself, and I could use the 'regular' key to start the car. I did take care of that faulty key pretty soon after that tho

Of what I know of those things it's not something that's prone to actually be damaged. So I doubt you really need to worry about that. A Ford dealer would be able to provide you with a proper key for your car and the page below (aswell as your manual I recall) should provide you with information on how to program the thing. Or take the easy was and let the dealer do it for you :P

There's a bit on PATS and the programming of keys on this page: Program a new Ford PATS Ket

That doesn't really explain the fact the car died completely when you never messed with anything electronically. Indeed the most likely cause would be a loose wire, or some system reset. If it actually is the PATS system, that page should help you out.

I'm not sure if the computer would throw a code out on the AntiTheft system engaging, but if it does, you might want to try and get a read-out of the computer. It might specify the exact cause of the problem.