1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

01 GT Clutch/PP Flywheel Issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/12, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 GT Clutch/PP Flywheel Issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a 2001 GT 5 speed used off of Craigs List, 2 weeks later the clutch exploded at 1am on a Saturday night. I looked up the Vin code says I the early 10.5 clutch and PP. Order in from American Muscle, tore car apart. The clutch disk came apart in about 15 pieces. I put all old parts for the scrap guy. Wrong clutch PP wont bolt up i have the 11" clutch. So I called American Muscle again, as I was on phone I seen junk yard yellow paint all over tranny. So I figured some one swapped with the late 01 Tranny. So they sent me another clutch 11" Ram HDX for the late, for the same money ($80.00 more) and no frt. It comes in rite size clutch but mounting holes (6.25 apart) wont line up when I mount on dowel pins... Called them again they have no idea whats wrong, they want me to buy a $300.00 flywheel. Will this flywheel bolt to my car??? Heres my flywheel
Old 12/25/12, 09:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Look around the edge of the flywheel. There are 6 dowel pin holes, only 3 are used at a time. the 3 that are not used are at a different diameter. Pull the dowel pins out of the holes they are in now and move them to the ones not being used, and it should line up
Old 12/25/12, 11:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluethunderhorse
Look around the edge of the flywheel. There are 6 dowel pin holes, only 3 are used at a time. the 3 that are not used are at a different diameter. Pull the dowel pins out of the holes they are in now and move them to the ones not being used, and it should line up
Yep, try and rotate the clutch, it only mounts one way. You just got to play with its a little.
Old 12/26/12, 02:31 PM
Former Vendor

ford96gtconv,

I don't want to keep throwing parts at your Mustang, so lets see if we can figure out what's going on here! First, can you check to see how many bolts are in your flywheel? This will give us an idea of what clutch is suppose to mate with it. Next, look for a tag on the transmission with a code or a serial number in the casting. Since the transmission has some yellow "junk yard paint" I want to verify that it's the correct transmission and not a similar T45 or T3650 that isn't out of a Mustang.

Get back to me and we'll work this out. I definitely don't want you to purchase anything you don't need!

Shane
Old 12/27/12, 11:29 AM
Former Vendor

From what I've gathered, it seems like you have a strange bolt pattern on your current flywheel. We've sold tons of these Ram clutches and haven't had any issues with mounting to the factory flywheels. It makes me think your flywheel is from another year Mustang like a 05-10 or another Ford causing the current clutch to not line up.

Either way, I just wanted straighten some info out and make things right for you. We DO have a flywheel that will fit your current 88951HDX clutch. I'm sorry for any confusion you had over the phone, but the CS Rep was definitely off on his specs. We have the RAM Billet Steel Flywheel for the 6bolt crank and a 11" clutch for $309.99 that will work with your Mustang. Since you've gone through so much hassle, I'd be happy to hook you up with this RAM Billet Steel clutch for $285.00. This should take some of the edge off the cost and will definitely end your flywheel problems!

Shoot me a PM if you're interested and will get things rolling ASAP!

Shane