1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/04 | 11:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey all, I was hoping you could give a Mustang noob a little assistance. I couldn't find anything relating to this issue currently on the boards....

I'm looking to get some tires for a 2000 V6 Mustang that I had gotten recently (my first, but not my last! ), which have some standard all weather tires on them....

Any thoughts on above average all season tires? Also, is it worth investing in snow tires, or should I just park the Mustang for the winter? (This is an option, I do have a 2004 Ford Taurus and my wife and I work different shifts, so no problem there.)

My car does have traction control, but even in wet weather it's a little prone to slides and I'd imagine that is just going to get worse in the winter months.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11/10/04 | 02:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Just to be safe, park the stang, drive the Taurus. I live in PA too, so I know how crazy the weather can be around here, but I drive my 99GT last winter with no major difficulty. I think I'll drive it this winter too, and with luck I'll total it. I don't have a death wish but it's impossible to sell this thing!!! :angry:
Old 11/10/04 | 03:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks PearBear, that's what I was thinking....Any suggestions on winterizing the car? I was thinking of giving it another coat of wax and maybe buying a car cover (no garage, unfortunately).

The car is in really excellent shape, only 39,000 miles and the paint is also in very good condition and I want to keep in that way. I'm expecting my daughter to have this as her first car, so I'm trying to baby it for the next couple of years.

That is, if the girl ever gets herself and job and saves some money! :bang:

Another story for another time...lol
Old 11/10/04 | 11:12 PM
Bullitt Member

If it's going to be sitting for the entire winter without ever being moved, hit Walmart for some StaBil fuel stabilizer. That way your gas wont go bad. If possible, I would put it on jackstands to prevent getting flat spots in the tires also. That isn't neccesary if you drive it once in a while during the winter though.

And it isnt easy for us poor teenagers to save money.
Old 11/10/04 | 11:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the advice on winter storage...I was going to go get some jackstands anyway.

And it isnt easy for us poor teenagers to save money.
lol...I hear ya...especially teenagers with Mustangs...

Anyway, I'm just gonna give her a little friendly nudge to get a job soon...she's gonna need a car in a couple of years, ya know?
Old 11/11/04 | 01:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Welcome PaulF. These are some nice cars...nothing to be ashamed of! Put some dual exhuast on her, some wax and some new BFGoodrich tires....your daughter will be happy.

How old is she BTW, if you don't mind me asking? I am 18 and it's freakin' hard to go to school, keep grades, earn money, save money, and keep parents happy. Please don't push her, but tell her to get something in like the mall...if she is a trendy one. Hollister, A*F, or Gap?
Old 11/11/04 | 01:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the welcome, it's much appreciated!

Please don't push her, but tell her to get something in like the mall

She's just turned 15 and that's just what I'd like her to do, work in a mall or something. I don't want her to be working all kinds of hours either, because work shouldn't be a priority over her school work.

But maybe a night during the week or two and a Saturday or Sunday (not both, she needs some free time, too!). lol....I don't want to come off like an ogre or anything, I just know that when my wife and I were her age, working was a good thing. It gets you some spending money and teaches you a little about life.

Plus, she wants my Mustang and I'm not one to give my kids something like a car, it's something I think they need to work for. So I'll end up selling it to her when she's ready for her own car (whatever the value of the car is, minus the family first car discount, of course! ) and replace it with a new Special Edition Mustang.
Old 11/11/04 | 01:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Welcome PaulF. These are some nice cars...nothing to be ashamed of!
Oh, I know they are nothing to be ashamed of...Especially after reading how some of you guys have been modding them!

Actually, I'll make a little confession here....I had this concept in my head for a long time that a V6 Mustang was a little less than what a Mustang should be. And boy was I pleasantly suprised that I was dead WRONG! My 2000 is totally stock parts and it's really a nice driving car....nice power, good handling and breaking, really a treat! I love driving it everyday, without a doubt!

I bought it a few months ago when I was looking for a new car to replace my '01 Jetta GLX (what a nightmare that car was), Ford certified.

One more question for you if you don't mind....with installing a dual exhaust, what's the best way to go about doing this? I'm fairly handy, but haven't worked too much on cars. I've seen some dual exhaust y-pipe bolt on kits that are supposed to be fairly easy to install. What am I looking for to complete this? Sites are also making mention of getting a cat back as well for more horsepower and sound? Does that sound right? Anyway, if anyone can list what I'd need and if I really should leave this to professionals, I'd appreciate it.

I really want to make my Mustang all it can be!

Thanks!
Old 11/12/04 | 01:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Paul,

15 is going to be hard for her to find work...pretty early age restrictions here in Az, I don't know about Pa. But more power to her, and I hope she finds something

I heard from other people (at my school even) that were happy to get their Jetta's only to be dissapointed in a year or two. I even know a guy that has the wolfsberg edition and it even pooped out on him, wow :shock:

I don't know if I would go as far as saying these cars aren't 'stang worthy, but they are nothing like a true V8. The GT's (which are powerful enough, then to mod) would seriously kill me...and I am an 18 yo, wanting one I know I love my car, and prolly will do what you are doing...in about 3 years (almost paid off by then) I will tranfer over payments to a GT, MACH, or BULLIT new style...I love the new body shape. :worship:

Here's the tricky part. Exhaust. It really just depends on your taste. If I were you, i would do what I said in the other topic you started (which is get TRUE DUALS) for this car. You will really wake her up, and enjoy that drive to work for another 2 years every day. I got mine put on by a professional when I first bought the stang what...4 months ago...still love the sound as of today. Couldn't be happier. For DIY, projects on this, you really need to look for stainless steel outlets and pipes if possible. Most of these "KITS" don't include the nicer pipes and outlets, and you will prolly need them more than I need them here in Az....just for the rust issue during winter. Your pipes will look like shiznit in a couple of years if you don't go this route. If all you want to do is added somewhat of a nice sound through a starter package, then go for it....I mean this is if you want to take off the exhaust when you turn over the car to your daughter. I personally, would let me daughter drive my car with TRUE DUALS right now (if I had one), as it doesn't increase that much power to hurt her. So it's your call, the package deals usually run about 300-500$ depending on what you want and all...and are very basic to install if you have a pipe cutter and prolly some friends to help you out...you will prolly look @ a 3 or so hour job.
Old 11/12/04 | 01:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, there are age restrictions here too, but she can get working papers from school and she'll be good to go. One funny thing I did find out...Burger King won't hire anyone under 16....McDonald's, on the other hand, will hire you at 13 with the correct paperwork from school...figure that one out. lol

Anywho....The Jetta was a nice car to drive, nice pickup, great handling...just the cost to maintain it was insane. Plus, things were breaking on it, left and right. It was a leased car and the last 8 months that I had it, I sunk over $5600.00 in repairs and the car was only 3 years old, but out of warranty (mileage). It ended up costing me less in the long run getting out of the lease and buying a new 2004 Taurus....

Hey, I'm heading over to the local Ford dealer to get my oil changed (free oil changes for life with the 'Stang, can't beat that) and I've seen at least 5 new 2004 40th ed there listed for $12495...can't say I'm not tempted to trade the 2000 in and pick up a little more in payments for a brand new car, of course that means that the new body style would be put on hold! Hmmm, decisions, decisions....

I think I'll check 'em out tomorrow...maybe I'll try to scam a 2005 test drive while I'm waiting too...