1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Pipe plug leaking- Do I need an o-ring too

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/13, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pipe plug leaking- Do I need an o-ring too

Hi,
I think I got this part named that's leaking on the left side of the transmission, A brass bolt. If you look under the driver side, Just about in the middle of the car.
I looked in the Factory Manual and all I can find is pipe plug. It's leaking just a little.

Question:
It does not show a o-ring that goes on there. Do I need one?
I may tighten it for now to see what happens.
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 11/2/13, 10:56 AM
V6 Member

If there is not any o-ring, remove the nipple or plug and add about 5 or 6 wraps of Teflon tape, Rectorseal #5 or some Blue Magic thread sealing compound to the first 3/4" of threads. There are other thread sealing compounds but, these are my personal favorites.
Replace the item and DO NOT over tighten, as you will create more problems if you strip the threads...
It shouldn't leak unless there is a hairline crack in the transmission at this threaded port.
Old 11/2/13, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Silverick
If there is not any o-ring, remove the nipple or plug and add about 5 or 6 wraps of Teflon tape, Rectorseal #5 or some Blue Magic thread sealing compound to the first 3/4" of threads. There are other thread sealing compounds but, these are my personal favorites.
Replace the item and DO NOT over tighten, as you will create more problems if you strip the threads...
It shouldn't leak unless there is a hairline crack in the transmission at this threaded port.
Holy cow! You're right! Teflon tape! Thanks for mentioning the other things too.
Ok so replace the item anyway,Even if there's Teflon tape,etc. How does that part go bad?

No, I'm not over tightening it for sure. Thanks for everything. This is something I've had on my mind. I am accustomed to working on something on my car. Then I didn't do it because my husband got to it first and I was raising the kids. Now he can't and I enjoy working on the car again. Most girls wouldn't think twice. HAHAHAHA I really appreciate the help. I take this stuff seriously.