1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/11, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical problems?

Ok so this problem started a few weeks back and went away after me and my dad went and tightened up the connections on the battery and that fixed the problem. Now to the problem, don't know the proper terminology but at random moments it seems the electricity in the mustang cuts out. This problem didn't really start happening untill the day I disconnected my battery and left it disconnected for 3 hours, so i could clear the CEL to pass my car inspection. I have not a clue what is causing my car to short out. The connections to the battery are tight, no wiggle from the positive or the ground connection. The wires are clasped tightly in the connection. When i got home today i decided to play with all the electrical components in the cab, had the headlights on, radio going , and when putting both windows down the car's electricity cuts out, then i tried headlights on, radio playing and turning my hazard's on, the radio wouldn't turn back on untill i shut off the hazards. Does anyone have an idea what could be going wrong? I'd like to fix it cheaply as I'm planning on selling this car next month.
Thanks for any advice, ask any questions if you need more information.

Edit:
i dont know if this makes a difference, but its a 5 speed manual transmission 3.8L V6.

Last edited by 95Schill-Berry; 12/9/11 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12/9/11, 09:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Make sure to fix it correctly, you wouldn't want to sale a car that wasn't working properly.
Old 12/9/11, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by cpotts13
Make sure to fix it correctly, you wouldn't want to sale a car that wasn't working properly.
I never repair things wrong, just said cheaply because i don't want to put an excessive amount of money into a car im selling. oh forgot to mention its a 1995.
Old 12/11/11, 03:37 PM

I swear sometimes cars are worse then women.. This morning driving to work everytime i'd turn on my directionals the car would lose electricity ( got annoying quickly), then im almost to my bosses house, the car loses power rpm gauge drops to 0 everything else drops to 0, everything shut off, i figured since it was still in gear and rolling it would start back up, no such luck, came to a complete stop and tried turning the car back on none of the lights, radio or hazards came on, so i poped the hood made sure my battery connections were good and went and to start the car back up and sure enough it started right up. Tonight on the way home i purposely tried to get the electricity to cut out, and not a **** thing would happen. Mind you i wasn't driving with my headlights on this morning but tonight i was. I just don't get it.
Old 12/11/11, 09:06 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's still your connections. Take them back off. Scrub them clean till you have shiny new lead showing. Check your Ground running down from the battery. Also check the wire to the alternator. I've seen this problem many times and I can assure you its your connection.
Old 12/16/11, 12:07 PM

Hey sorry about the time it took me to respond I've been busy and the app has been giving me problems... Texas ill keep that in mind, I figure I'm not going to mess around with anything since its been running good all week without a problem at all. Thanks for the advice

EDIT:

Texas it looks like i will be trying your suggestion alot sooner then i thought, what would you suggest i use to clean off the connections?

Last edited by 95Schill-Berry; 12/18/11 at 09:15 AM.