1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

desperate need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/13, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation desperate need help!!!

The other day my ABS light came on, then the traction light and also the right turnsignal comes on steady on the dash. (If I use the signal it flashes fast on the right, normal on the left and all bulbs are working. If I clear the codes, even though it shows none, it will work fine from Key off to start, until I use the headlights or heater.) BUT, only when I turn on my headlights OR turn on my heater <???> and when my headlights are on, the Passenger side headlight is really dim. When this happens, when I push the headlight button in, the headlights stay on but really dim <??> and won't go off until I turn the key off? I even took out the headlight bulb and turnsignal bulb on passenger side, same thing, so no short at bulbs I guess.
I am really stumped here everyone. Also when this happens if I stop the car, put it in park and turn it off, the headlights stay on and it makes a 'bumping' sound near my CAI???

I know I could have a ABS problem, but what would cause the electrical nightmare that it affects my headlight?
If I am running without headlights and turn on the heater I get this also. If I am not running anything, lights, heater, etc. It acts fine. I checked the battery its 12.96 and 14.46 when running. When I put on the headlights, it only drops (at battery) to 14.25???

Now if I run heater and lights I get odd OB2 codes, fuel pump module out, etc. hardly ever the same ones twice…? and then it tries to shut off??

All ideas appreciated.

2004 V6
Old 3/6/13, 05:43 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I'd check your grounds... start on the dim light, measure voltage from the battery negative directly to the light ground, and abs ground, dash ground, etc... bet while looking you will find voltage where there should not be any...usually theres a braided heavy gage wire from block to cowl, might be rusty, or sometimes a smaller wire tapped into the big ground lug on the battery, that goes to the core support...again a rusty bolt point will do it, or maybe that wires broken...pull on the wire, look for any spots that stretch... just a guess, but IMO usually dim lights and stuff are flaky grounds.

a cautionary thing- if the ground from the engine to the rest of the car isnt secure, you might be grounding thru bearings and linkages that werent designed for current...ujoints, rearend bearings, even steering column bearings might be getting arced as they roll while trying to carry current... I wouldnt delay finding out whats up ASAP.

Last edited by ford4v429; 3/6/13 at 05:47 PM.
Old 3/6/13, 07:09 PM

I *may* have found the culprit. I was searching all over the 'net and someone mentioned the ground point near the ABS. So I looked (near the hood prop rod above the pass headlight) and sure enough it was loose. So I cranked it down and did a few test fires and all seems good (fingers crossed) I WILL let you know if this is it. It will also help other people like myself in a jam if they search and see this.
Old 3/7/13, 05:16 PM

So far so good. I tightened the ground near the hood prop rod and all seems golden. Wish me luck I will report back next week.
Old 3/18/13, 04:54 PM

Okay, apparently this was the issue. Please close the thread but leave it in the forum so someone else can benefit from it.

Thanks all,
GR