Notices
Past Rumor Archive All the rumors and media hype for the 2011-2014 model years.

Is Shelby American doin' OK?

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/10, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This ain't no rumor, but just some outloud speculation:

I mean, the company introduces--and drops--models with great regularity. Just the GT500 alone has the GT500, the GT500KR, the GT500 40th Anniversary Edition (Is it?), the Don Prudhomme Edition, the Super Snake, some NASCAR commemorative edition, and there are likely other GT500 versions I haven't mentioned here. There was a Jerry Titus version of the Shelby GT that never came to pass.

Is SA selling at least twenty/year of any of these other than the base GT500? I read there were 1500 orders for the Super Snake, but did these guys then belly up to the bar with their checkbooks at downpayment time? Or did they hmmmm and haw and never actually sign on the dotted line for the upgrades once the massive total appeared in the proper block on the contract?

I only ask this because I really, really want Carroll Shelby to succeed at all this, but all these new models that keep coming out about monthly worry me--I sense some desperation in all this. But I live far, far away from Las Vegas and have no hope of seeing for myself...

You many ask "Hey, Eights, why don't you ask this question on the official Shelby website?" That would be a valid question, except that company websites are always "Rah! Rah! Rah! We're Number One! We are the Champions! Long Live Us!" Here, there is more objectivity and no need to spout corporate propaganda in an effort to instill confidence (genuine or false) in potential customers. 'Know what I mean? No one ever casts doubt upon themselves in their own website. Intentionally, anyway...

Am I the only one that senses desperation in all these model releases? I hope th' Hell so...I guess I wouldn't worry much about it if Shelbys were bargains--but they're monster bucks, and far more moolah than many Shelby vehicle fans can ever justify. And even here on a Mustang website where all but the covert 'Marosexuals would likely be kindly disposed to any and all Shelby Ford vehicles, there are many who admit that they think Shelbys are waaayyy too much money for what you get. Many openly espouse just buying a Mustang GT and build it yourself for many, many thousands less than the same hardware would set you back in an authentic Shelby-built or Shelby-upgraded Mustang. Even the "bargain" Terlingua V6 is an extra $18,000 for the full treatment--not counting the cost of the Mustang V6 starting point.

Bash me mercilessly if you know that Shelby American is on solid ground and is genuinely financially sound! But kindly submit your evidence as you kick me in the kidneys a third time...

Greg "I hope it's all good" Ates

Last edited by Eights; 1/28/10 at 12:04 PM.
Old 1/28/10, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do you care so much about Carroll Shelby succeeding? The problem is that he is so rich and greedy he doesn't care anymore, he'll do anything to make money. Look at his Z-Max ad's. Soaks into the metal my ***.
Old 1/28/10, 01:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goldhillstang
Why do you care so much about Carroll Shelby succeeding? The problem is that he is so rich and greedy he doesn't care anymore, he'll do anything to make money. Look at his Z-Max ad's. Soaks into the metal my ***.
Hey that z-max stuff is good...

oops wrong label :/
Old 1/28/10, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

I say let them go down in flames if they can't offer a good product. Heck--one that can beat a GT-R in the Mustang's wheel-house known as drag racing.

Man, that is sad for me to say..... I loved the Shelby cars of old.....

After the CS-6, Terlingua and the GT-350 though, I have lost all respect for Shelby (well, the new cars anyway--still love the old cars, but not because of the man or the company). Even ignoring all the scandals, they have become nothing more than a grossly over-paid installation house. They are a symbol for greed and sucking as much as you can from people just because of past successes, without creating any new successes.

But, as a company, I am sure they are OK. The guys sells everything from chili to livestock, and will sign anything someone pays him to sign. That, plus the absolutely criminal markups on their "cars" and I am sure they are OK for now. Personally, I never got the blind brand-loyalty that they enjoy--it is like a bunch of girls caring who made a pair of shoes. But as long as people somehow think the Shelby name means something of value, they will sell enough to keep the lights on.

I would much rather see companies like Roush, Steeda, Agent 47, and Maximum Motorsports succeed -- they actually create new and exciting products. They have something Shelby doesn't -- engineers. They race and prove their products and are helping to push the car, and the industry, forward. That is the kind of company I want to see succeed.
Old 1/28/10, 03:44 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I see this right off the bat in 2 distinct groups....

Group 1 - I love Shelby, the man and the cars

Group 2 - Shelby was awsome, had nice cars, but now is milking his name for all its worth for a $$$.

Carry on.
Old 1/28/10, 11:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are always a cadre of people with more money than brains or interested in "investing" in what could potentially be the next collector's car. I'd bet that Shelby sells every ultra-marked-up car that they actually produce at their facility.
Old 1/29/10, 09:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The hood/ carbon fiber fiasco drives home the point: The *organization* is greedy bastids, using their awesomeness factor to bilk thousands out of people.

That said, I'm sure they're fine, as they seem to keep rolling on. If it's not Mustangs, it's Dodge Daytonas.

THAT said... I'm not sure it's terribly important either way. I'm not likely to be in their market, so whatevas.
Old 1/30/10, 11:12 AM

I'm sure their doing okay. Anyday we will probably see Shelby Water and Chili sold at Costco.
Old 1/30/10, 11:40 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Eights
Bash me mercilessly if you know that Shelby American is on solid ground and is genuinely financially sound! But kindly submit your evidence as you kick me in the kidneys a third time...
Probably you are aware the evidence you seek is unobtainable hence a long rant post on a look at me topic lacking a logical purpose. Every imaginable angle on the GT350 has been discussed, posted, and repeated multiple times. The enthusiam and interest for it is just as dead and as the dead horse you are beating.
Old 1/30/10, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
There are always a cadre of people with more money than brains or interested in "investing" in what could potentially be the next collector's car. I'd bet that Shelby sells every ultra-marked-up car that they actually produce at their facility.
+1. He caters to the grease mark "originality" "this is correct" crowd now.

Yeah, the ZMax ads. Every car he owns? Right.

Since when does Shelby care about "fuel mileage"? Maybe he should have at Lemans when his decision burned up one of the Cobra's.
Old 1/30/10, 12:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These days you can just make your own Mustang with all the aftermarket parts and it will be unique, better fit and finish and probably faster. Paying to have his name on anything is silly IMO. The new GT350 is a clear example of greed in my book. $33,000 over the cost of the 2011 GT is insane for what you are getting.
Old 1/30/10, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Shelby has a legitimate history with Ford and Mustangs and has made some very nice products in the last 4 years. I liked the 2005 Mustangs a LOT - but fell in love and it became an obsession when I saw a white Shelby GT in person. Steeda and Griggs Racing are AWESOME, but who ever heard of them? Will they be around in 40 years like the Shelby legend? The stance of the Shelby GTs, Terlinguas, etc., their presence and look is superior to Roush stage 1, 2 or 3. And with a supercharger, will keep up with or outperform a Roushcharged car. And look better doing it. They look better than the GT500s, IMO, and are reasonable to buy now. Granted, they were showroom anchors, but that is because opinions vary. The people that love them overpaid - the people who thought they could build one to taste cheaper did so. So Shelby made too many, but it is better to have 1000 too many than 1000 too little. Then you would see the value and legend be worth even more.

I say good for them for jumping on the retro Mustang train and riding it for all it's worth. I was at the Las Vegas headquarters for the Shelby bash in January and they are doing fine. Shelby will put his name on ANYTHING - from socks to hats to wine to model cars to stickers - you name it. Sure it is diluted and worth less in the long run, but at resale, a Shelby GT will be worth more than average Joe's car that has been heavily modded. Even if it was cheaper to build and is faster and better, the Shelby will always be worth more. As it should be. You could build your own from the Ford Racing catalogue, but it will not have the Shelby name on it, and like it or not, it is worth something to a lot of people.

My 2 cents
Old 1/30/10, 02:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Steeda is definitely not on the level of Shelby in terms of recognition, but any serious racer that knows Mustangs knows Griggs--they (and Agent47) are the benchmark for aftermarket Mustangs that are intended to see road course use. Shelby can't hold a candle to their suspension offerings, but Shelby's cars are street cars; Griggs and A47 turn street cars into race cars.

Also FWIW I feel that ROUSH puts out a better all-around package than Shelby, at least in terms of suspension. I'd say in a straight line the performance offerings are similar.

Shelby's styling IMO is generally superior to other offerings (minus the new GT350--not sure what the heck happened there).
Old 2/5/10, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Shelby has never been responsible for the cars "he" made. He wanted to go with the chevy corvette motor for his ac cobras first. However, chevy was too scared that their motors would not be able to hold up under race conditions and therefore they would get bad press out of it(yeah, chevy sucks,lol). Anyways, Shelby has been on record stating that he didn't even want to do the original mustangs. Shelby even stated that he made a call to someone(I wish for the the life of me I could remember the guys name) and that person told him what needed to be done to make the mustang a racer. Bottom line: Shelby is a business man. He has been really nothing more than that and a marketing tool since the beginning.
Old 2/5/10, 08:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sscobra
Shelby even stated that he made a call to someone(I wish for the the life of me I could remember the guys name) and that person told him what needed to be done to make the mustang a racer.
Lee Iaccoa.
The guy that helped bring the Mustang to the market originally.

Sure, Shelby never made the cars himself, but it didn't matter -- the company made great cars that were unique and desirable. Now, the company is nothing more than an installer of other people's parts, and there is nothing unique or special about the cars anymore (I don't consider a half-done body kit unique, even if it isn't copied).

Ultimately the cars have to speak for themselves, and there are too many other companies doing it better than Shelby. So, all they have left is the brand. That is why they are only going to make 500 GT350s at first. And, that is also why they have to put 39 logos on the car, and charge so **** much for so little--because they can't make it up in volume.

I see it as a bit of a death spiral, but I suspect they will have enough in the brand to make it for some time.

The only company making good Shelby's anymore is Ford.... (GT500, Shelby GT, which was all Ford design, etc.).
Old 2/5/10, 08:28 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
they will fade into obvion till he sues someone else to make his name relevant again
Old 2/7/10, 11:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hate to burst anyones bubble, but what Ramant said is right The GT500 is actually a Ford SVT product. It is assembled right on the line with the regular Mustangs. The only cars that came out of Vegas are the KR, Anniv. Ed., Shelby Gt (which is just over priced Ford bolt ons), CS-6, Terlingua and the GT-350 (which is way over priced especially if there is no engine internals upgrade).
Old 2/7/10, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I might offer that there are two separate areas that are in discussion/dispute. Shelby himself has done a lot for Ford/Mustangs thoughout his career, that much is not in dispute. I think the problem is more with Shelby Automotive, or whatever it is called these days. The company itself, led by a woman who is very much NOT a car person, has gone so far away from what made SAI successful that it is almost unrecognizeable as a performance tuner company. Take Ford Motor Company itself as an example. We all remember the Jacque Nassar years, and how he led FMC away from what made it great, ie build good cars. And what happened, it started to go down the tube until Mullaly arrived and went back to the Ford roots. Same thing with Shelby, I think. I'm just not sure who SAI now feels their customer base is now. Just my thoughts.
Old 2/7/10, 08:46 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I always liked and respected Shelby, but this is the same guy who sued Ford back in '84 because Ford used GT350 badge on one of their Mustangs and who charge people $10,000 now for a hood.
I know he did a lot for Mustang, but Ford did a lot for him too. He was rejected by GM, and if Ford rejected him too what would he do? Go to Chrysler to build a Shelby Barracuda?
Old 2/13/10, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by whysoserious
I'm just not sure who SAI now feels their customer base is now. Just my thoughts.
Their customer base is the rich guys that are going to buy the new GT-350's, SS's, etc, and store them away forever. SAI knows this, and they don't care. They are making their money, and will sell every GT-350 they build.

Use the GT-350 as an example -- Go over to the official website sometime. If you say anything bad or you don't like about the new GT-350 they delete the thread. The people that are saying how great the car is are the ones who build it or sell it. Thats like saying the Pontiac Aztek was good because the guy who designed it liked it. To bad it is not a perfect world like that. The Mustang and Shelby guys/fans decide if it is good - so far its what, about an 80% consensus on all the car forums that the car looks like crap and is overpriced. SAI doesn't care, and neither do the people that buy them because they are NOT Mustang guys, they are COLLECTORS (save for a few that actually like and will drive the car).

If Shelby cared, they would listen. The GT-350 would be a "NEW" GT-350 -- It would be light, powerful, and LOOK like it should be called a GT-350. All SAI is doing taking a 2011 Mustang, bolting on a bunch of FRPP parts that SAI didn't even engineer, some JCWhitney looking bodykit, adding a bunch of unnecessary weight, and calling it a GT-350 because it has 20 "GT-350" and "SHELBY" emblems stuck all over it. $32k for "mostly" bolt ons, a motor that is a ticking time bomb, and VINYL stripes, is sad.

All in all SAI is doing just fine. And they will continue to do fine. They just aren't catering to the same market anymore.

Quick Reply: Is Shelby American doin' OK?