Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Wierdness with my heat 'n a/c when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/04, 10:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is realy wierd, when i'm drivin along and have the heater on, lets say it's set to 'floor', whenever I accelerate the heat will also start to blow out the upper defrost vents, and when I let off the gas it goes back to where it was set to 'floor'....oh it gets better lol...I noticed this months ago in the summer when I had the a/c on. The a/c normally only blows out the vents on the front of the dash, right, well not mine, again when I accelerate the a/c air completely stops coming out of the front vents and it splits up and starts to blow at my feet and out the defrost vents!! And when I let off the gas, it goes back to normal. :scratch:

I swear i'm not makin any of this up. Can someone tell me whats goin on? Has anyone ever seen/hear this before? It's quite annoying.

Dumb speedometer question (sorry, I don't know these things lol)...What happens when the speedometer needle is burried as far as it'll go and i'm still accelerating, will this screw up my speedometer or the cable? I've never dared keep on the gas for fear that it'll break it or something. (and yes, much to everyones surprise, I have had my car past it's 85mph mark, and it wasn't even downhill hahaha)
Old 12/14/04, 11:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just A guess But, it sounds like a vacuum leak to me on the heater some where under the dash.

If your a little gutsy, Well vacuum leaks can be located with a gas bottle of propain. But, of course only do outside and away from sparks.

You will need the engine running tho, while you spray propain gas over various rubber hoses under your dash.
It maybe also be in the engine compartment as well.
if you have an automatic it could be by it as well

If you hear the engine rev up for no apparent reason than you are very close to your leak.

Therory, as you accelerate vacuum increase's this maybe causing a leak to $uck itself shut. As you decelerate vacuum decreases causing the leak to reshow it self.

You can also look for leaks with a home made stethoscope as well
stick a long vacuum hose in one ear than place the other near various vacuum lines. (listen for a $ucking sound)

As for the speedometer I have heard some lube the inner cable with graphite.

Tho my self I replaced the head. when it exaggerated by speeds grossly.
Should you get a replacement speedometer be sure it 90 thru 93 since these are curved in the bottom middles for the airbag.
Otherwise do as I did using an 89 head on a 91 I had to do a little cutting with a very hot knife to make it work.

Good luck