Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Supercharging the Fox

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/06, 12:08 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercharging the Fox

I own a 93 GT. So far it has underdrive pulleys, March ram air kit, BBK Equal Length headers, and Flowmaster cat-back exhaust. Other than those mentioned my car is pretty much stock. It has 56,000 miles on it.

Now I am looking at adding a supercharger to it (Christmas). I was looking at Vortechs kits. A couple questions, Is my car ready? Do I need any engine reinforcement? How much boost should I go with? And do I need the after cooler?

Thanks guys! And have a Happy Memorial Day Weekend!
Old 5/26/06, 10:07 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
You can supercharge your engine without a problem if you keep the boost levels reasonable. Your '93 has the Hyperutectic(aka: Hyperuplastic) pistons which will not stand up to higher boost levels and abuse for very long.

You do not need the aftercooler...that is your choice. I find it useful for drag racing but not much else...an intercooler would be better IMO.

I've owned a Vortech but I would also recommend looking at Procharger...their kit comes with an intercooler and it's a nice kit as well.

You will ofcourse need fuel system upgrades so don't forget that....and make sure you get it tuned properly, that is most important factor.
Old 5/26/06, 02:45 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
tuning is the most important thing to keep your engine safe!
Old 5/26/06, 11:21 PM
GT Member

thanks guys... how does 8lbs of boost with the aftercooler sound? And yes I will be getting it professionally tuned and installed.

What type of fuel system upgrades would I be needing here besides the fuel pump? Am I looking at needing injectors too?
Old 5/27/06, 09:45 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
You will need a good fuel pressure gauge(rail mounted), adjustable fuel pressure regulator(I recommend Kirban) and injectors. The standard kit will come with an FMU.....I never use them. for 8psi and a mostly stock engine a set of 30lb injectors will do fine but if you get into bigger heads and a cam then you will be on your way to needing either 36lb injectors or 42s.
Make sure you run a 255lph fuel pump in the tank...the Vortech kit will come with an external additional T-Rex pump.
Old 5/27/06, 01:37 PM
GT Member

Ok, Awesome. I will be looking at getting these first and installed this summer, so then I am ready for the super install come next spring or so.

And no I will not be getting into bigger heads or cam. After the super I will be leaving my car alone.

And for the final question, how much HP am I looking at then? 325rwhp or so?