Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Stang In Shop

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/07 | 05:59 PM

Unhappy Stang In Shop

I had to take my Stang to the shop this afternoon. I was parking at the store and pulled up the hand brake as I always do and all of the sudden it just snapped! The handle was just loose and moved up and down very easily. I looked under my car to see if anything(cables?) was hanging down but I didn't see anything so I tried driving around a little bit in the parking lot and it was making a dragging/scraping sound, almost sounded like a metal chain dragging or something. I could tell that the brakes weren't on so I decided to drive it in to the same place I got it painted last fall (they did a great job). They said they'd call me tommorrow. I've never had trouble with my hand brake before although it's normally hard to pull up. Is it normally that hard to pull up on a fox, or is it just me?
Old 1/25/07 | 08:49 PM

It should not be very tight in the begining. Do you have and conversion parts on your car? When I converted over to 5 lug with a set from a 95 GT, the parking brake was very loose and needed alot of adjustment.
Old 1/25/07 | 09:05 PM

It's completely stock. I think the cable snapped(?)
Old 1/26/07 | 07:38 AM
Service Manager

If not used regularly the cables will sieze up....sometimes eventually breaking so that may be what happened....pretty common problem. New cables are available aftermarket for about $30 each at NAPA(at least last time I bought them).
Old 1/26/07 | 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

once time I yanked up on my e-brake a little harder than usual and i heard a noise like gears stripping and the handle came up a lot further than usual... i figured i ruined it but i put it back down and tried again and it worked fine and still does but that was a year ago so its probably time to replace it anyway
Old 1/26/07 | 05:42 PM

Thanks for the support! I use the e-brake everytime I park so it's used almost every day. The shop where I dropped it off at said that the cable broke where it attaches to the handle and that they need to order the replacement parts. So I'm stangless until monday . I could have taken it home today and dropped it off again on monday but I didn't really want to drive it like that. They'll keep it inside out of the feezing temps though thank goodness!
Old 1/31/07 | 04:44 PM

Smile Finally!!

Well, I finally got the Stang back today! And of course of all days, it had to snow today! But I was about to go nuts from not having it for so long!(1 week) They ended up having to replace three cables. Now the hand brake is SO easy to pull up! Wow, I wish I would have known that before! Oh well, that's life.
Could someone tell me which is the best gear to put the car into when parking. (when not using brake) Just curious!
Old 1/31/07 | 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Well, I finally got the Stang back today! And of course of all days, it had to snow today! But I was about to go nuts from not having it for so long!(1 week) They ended up having to replace three cables. Now the hand brake is SO easy to pull up! Wow, I wish I would have known that before! Oh well, that's life.
Could someone tell me which is the best gear to put the car into when parking. (when not using brake) Just curious!

1st (low) gear.
Old 2/2/07 | 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Merlot
1st (low) gear.
aND KEEP THE WHEEL CRANKED , SO IF IT WERE TO ROLL the tire will hit the curb & stop the car from going on a walk about !