Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

To resto-mod or not

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/06, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok so I'm beginning to restore my '91 GT, it's in very good shape as it is, but the usual quarter glass replacement and trim replacements etc. need to be done.

I'm also going to paint it and fix the few body dings that it has accumulated over the years.

The thing is I've been toying with the idea of modding it a little with some updated brakes (4-disc and 5-lug conversion) and perhaps doing a couple mods to the engine (CAI) nothing too extreme.

I'm also thinking it might be fun to get a different color paint (It's white now).

Now I'm the only owner and it's completely stock. The only thing that isn't stock is the silencer box was taken off.

So should I just keep it all original or do the mods?

I'm kind of on the fence so I figured I'd post here and see what everyone's opinion was.
Old 1/30/06, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although stock foxes are rare I would mod it. Simple mods like shouldnt hurt the price. In some cases it might help it; especially the brakes.
Old 1/30/06, 05:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

id say mod it. just repaint it white and keep all the stock parts just incase
Old 1/30/06, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

How many miles are on the car? If it is pretty low mileage, <75k, and you plan on selling it sometime, I would keep it stock. Mods are never worth the money you put into them when it comes to reselling a car. If you plan on keeping it, the I say mod the crap out of it.
Old 1/30/06, 11:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok Jamie, let's get real here. It's a car, meant to be driven, will never be worth the money the original Mustangs bring. I say do what you want with the car, just keep the original parts so you can go back stock with it. If it was an '87 or a '93 then you might really have something.
Old 1/31/06, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Redbaron93@January 31, 2006, 12:10 AM
Ok Jamie, let's get real here. It's a car, meant to be driven, will never be worth the money the original Mustangs bring. If it was an '87 or a '93 then you might really have something.
Thats not really true. Try finding a stock, low mileage 5.0 coupe right now. I am sure that the price tag will tell you that the fox body stangs are going UP in value if they are relatively low mileage and unmolested cars. The Fox mustangs have all of the criteria to be a collector car in 10 or 15 years. They were somewhat fast in stock form, they have a very high demand among mustang enthusiast, and there arent many out there that havent been modded or wrecked. They have a huge following, and as the supply of good cars goes down, I dont think we are gonna see the price go anywhere but up.
Old 1/31/06, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

It depends on what you personally want to do with the car. If you intend to keep it, then modify it to suit your individual tastes. If you are only buying with the intention of reselling once the value climbs, then stock is the way to go. For me, I'm resto-modding!!
Old 1/31/06, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah I'm not ever planning on selling it... or at least I have no plans to do so anywhere in the near future.

The mileage is definately not low... I've got about 190k on it right now.

I just had the engine compression tested and all the other internals tested and everything checked out so hopefully I can drive a while longer without having to do much work to the engine.

I'm thinking about painting it a different color as well. Although I don't know how much more that will cost (I know it will be more though).

As for having a '93 from what I've read the 92 and 93 models had less HP due to emissions restrictions, I don't know how much that would affect the value of the car but I'm glad I've got my '91 just the same

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will at least do the brakes and probably wheels. It's my daily driver so I don't need to make it too fast anyway.
Old 1/31/06, 04:29 PM
Service Manager

Received 443 Likes on 219 Posts
Here is the advice I give everyone regardless of what the car or it's age.....You have to ask yourself one simple question: Are you building the car for yourself or someone else? Once you honestly answer that question then follow your heart and make it YOUR car...forget what everyone else says you should do....do what makes YOU happy...that is the only person you have to please
Old 1/31/06, 07:16 PM
GT Member

I've enjoyed reading the feedback from this post. My FOX has a little over 87,000 original miles, exterior and interior are bone stock original.( Which is in exceptional condition for the year, IMO only of course) The car has had only two sets of tires....the factory originals and the ones currently on it, which the previous owner replaced.(I'm the third) The only mods are 3.73's, bbk headers, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, with H-pipe and a dual friction clutch. I myself am a lover of original, with maybe a "few extra's". I love that clean, original, unmolested look...to each their own of course. Im kinda of curious Fox friend's...It's clean...its original...(for the most part) what do you think my girl is actually worth today or years to come if kept in its "original state" with moderate miles in year's to come? My vote is to keep yours "stock" with maybe a few "extras" to add a little excitement.
Old 2/2/06, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm kind of a simular situation. I have an 85' GT 5spd T-tops with all the options. It needs plenty of work. I kinda want to mod it, but i really like it stock. A few Mustang magazines, say these cars are off limits for modding. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] So I'm kinda torn.
Old 2/2/06, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dcpirani @ February 2, 2006, 5:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm kind of a simular situation. I have an 85' GT 5spd T-tops with all the options. It needs plenty of work. I kinda want to mod it, but i really like it stock. A few Mustang magazines, say these cars are off limits for modding. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] So I'm kinda torn.
[/b][/quote]

Like Paul said, don't worry about what the magazines say you should do to your car, its what you want. If we all listened to 5.0&SF and MM&FF we'd all have gutted and stripped ugly notchbacks with a twin-turboed 347 in it....
Old 2/2/06, 06:07 PM
Service Manager

Received 443 Likes on 219 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Valentino @ February 2, 2006, 6:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Like Paul said, don't worry about what the magazines say you should do to your car, its what you want. If we all listened to 5.0&SF and MM&FF we'd all have gutted and stripped ugly notchbacks with a twin-turboed 347 in it....
[/b][/quote]

EXACTLY!!! Magazines know a lot less than they profess. Yes, clean unmolested foxes are hard to find.....clean 85/86 GT Mustangs are hard to find too but don't let a magazine dictate what you do with your car. I do find it funny that Jim Smart at Mustang Monthly will tell an '85 GT owner that their car is off limits to modding but then tell the SVO Enthusiasts to "get over it" and tell people it's OK to put a V8 into an SVO because "its just a 4 cylinder"....the guy is a moron and only tells people what serves his interest....he would never suggest that someone do an engine swap on a Boss 302...but it's OK for an SVO....moron! So don't take advice from people like that [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

I have always followed a rule of thumb to try to stick to modifications that can be easily reversed and if you want, keep all your original parts. But in the end it is your car so do what makes YOU happy [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 2/9/06, 10:53 PM
GT Member

I own a 93 GT with 50,000 miles on it. It is clean, original white paint, I am the 2nd owner. The man who owned it before was my grandmas friend who drove it as a secondary car in the summer. It just went through its first winter this year. The only things changed on it is a March Ram Air sytem, and Flowmaster 2 chamber exhaust. I am also on the fence of modding it, such as converting my brakes to all disc and 5 lug, Pulleys, changing out stock headers and then going to a supercharger in 1-2 years.
Old 2/15/06, 09:07 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my 80 coupe only has 66K on it, but it was slightly modded before I got it, my only addition will be the 5.0 motor I'm putting into it...
Old 2/16/06, 06:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

i like the clean unassuming look. i think ford did a good job with the body of the car. so im not changing anything on the body. except for maybe light weight hood. but everything else is up for modding. i have a 92 coupe with 99k on it. already done a few mods, and a few more on the way. and i agree with paul. if everyone treated their cars like they think they will be worth money and listened to all the mags. then noone would be out enjoying the greatest car ever designed!