Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

To Resto-Mod or Not to Resto-Mod, that is my question.

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/10, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question To Resto-Mod or Not to Resto-Mod, that is my question.

I don't like doing this so early on but I can't stop thinking about it.

I am in the very early stages of deciding what I want to do for my next fun car purchase. Or I should say my first lust car purchase. So I am asking for guidance. I'm ok with being poked at for my decisions, that's fine but here it goes. What's been on my mind most is a resto-mod project but I want to list my options and see what everyone thinks.

Top Choice:
67-68 Fastback
Dark highland Green or some form of Dark Green and Black Metallic.
IRS Rear suspension
EPAS steering would be great but .00001% chance of it happening.
DOHC 4.6L or 5.0L N/A engine.
6 spd. man. tranny (not sure what from yet).
re-touched interior.
All suspension upgrade.
LED Tail lights, Xenon Headlights.
Dakota Guages (New ones, not the fully digital)
The list goes on...
NOT an Elenore build.

Inspiration:
http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/1...ack/index.html

2nd.
2011/2012
Mustang GT (Brembo)
Steeda Lowering, Koni Shocks (or the likes)
FRPP SVT style wheels
GT500 exhaust/rear fascia
Front? Not sure or nothing changed.

3rd.
2015 Mustang GT.

For the right price I'd consider a GT500 SVT PP but I don't think it will be. I am leaning toward the resto mod a lot. It just sounds like fun and i can build it any way I want it. Though the last two are much less of a hassle, they are newer and probably have seen far less problems. I will end up doing as much work on the resto-mod as possible. As I have limited skills I will not be working with much on major body work, though I am sure I can find competent welders to help that I've been friends with for years. Another idea was to put windows in the fastback section where the fins are, like the 66 GT350's had.

Just looking for some ideas. I will need years to complete the resto-mod and a lot of help from this forum.

Last edited by Automagically; 12/6/10 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12/6/10, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would start with this. And make it better.

https://themustangsource.com/f721/19...stback-489342/
Old 12/6/10, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
I would start with this. And make it better.

https://themustangsource.com/f721/19...stback-489342/
I think I'll need more of a junk yard find than this to start out with. Not bad but for that coin up front, I'm into the why not just a 2011 category.

Nice looking car though.
Old 12/7/10, 02:18 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
After I finish college I plan on doing a resto-mod.

I say do a resto-mod project, I really enjoyed redoing my 67.
Old 12/12/10, 09:08 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
... I'm ok with being poked at for my decisions, that's fine but here it goes. What's been on my mind most is a resto-mod project but I want to list my options and see what everyone thinks...
I am only offering an opinion as you asked, I've done it as others members have and will not do it again.

Why(s) short list:
- dreams and reality not always match
- once started there is no turning back
- costs
- rust and welding vs new body and chassis
- 50 year old engineering vs new
- the first Mustang generations were hot as heck

No doubt there is great anticipation and thrill during the quest, the sad part is coming to terms and admitting after all the hard work when one realizes it is not even close to par to what new cars offer. Classics are trophies and great for admiration and that's about it.
Old 12/13/10, 10:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
I am only offering an opinion as you asked, I've done it as others members have and will not do it again.

Why(s) short list:
- dreams and reality not always match
- once started there is no turning back
- costs
- rust and welding vs new body and chassis
- 50 year old engineering vs new
- the first Mustang generations were hot as heck

No doubt there is great anticipation and thrill during the quest, the sad part is coming to terms and admitting after all the hard work when one realizes it is not even close to par to what new cars offer. Classics are trophies and great for admiration and that's about it.
I totally agree with your statement. The more I think about it the more I just feel like it's much more worth my while to get the Mustang I want and maybe even much later I start a Fastback restoration with no real aspirations other than somewhat minimal. Just as my own collection piece.

I totally understand the dream is fart greater than the reality. This has come to fruition the more research that I do on the project. And knowing that even through all the work, the Fastback still probably won't be the car that I want it to be, I might be devastated by the end. So, I take the route of getting the current car that I want and keep the project under the belt for a while and make it my mid life crisis piece.
Old 12/13/10, 12:28 PM

You mentioned the GT500 with the SVTPP as an option, if performance is your goal I guarantee you would be totally satisfied with it. If you can do without the creature comforts the Boss with Recaro/Torsen option should be a dandy and should cure any level of mid life crisis.
Old 12/13/10, 03:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You mentioned the GT500 with the SVTPP as an option, if performance is your goal I guarantee you would be totally satisfied with it. If you can do without the creature comforts the Boss with Recaro/Torsen option should be a dandy and should cure any level of mid life crisis.
Ha, yeah, the Boss is going to be hard to come by, even in used form by the time I'm ready.

Either way, I had a thought today about picking up an 08-09 Bullitt years down the road, just because I love the car and the color. Waiting around to see what the new Mustang will bring or just nab a decent 2012 GT some day. I like the Bullitt idea just because it and the '03 Cobra are what really sparked a love for Mustangs. So for me, maybe these are the cars I should collect. The Mustangs that set them apart for myself. Kind of like when your a little kid, what is the one car that just blew you away, well I can't honestly get a Countach so these Mustangs will have to do.

As much as I want a used M3 or 1M Coupe, I just don't know if either of them will leave me feeling as humbled as the Mustangs. Great driving experience but still not the same feeling.

The GT500 was and is a shot in the dark. Or black hole I should say.
Old 12/14/10, 02:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree with George about the 50 year old engineering, although new fabricated parts can offset that, provided you have the skills and tools.
What about building a new cobra? Factory Five has everything you need.
www.factoryfive.com
Old 12/15/10, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Automagically
Ha, yeah, the Boss is going to be hard to come by, even in used form by the time I'm ready...
I expect it will not be easy for the 2012 MY.

Considering the cost of the Boss, the novelty taking its course, and the likely new Mustang for 2014, I anticipate its availibility to be a lot better for the 2013 MY. It happens with every new model on its second production year regardless of upgrades. Sure, the Boss sounds to be perfect but it will not be, no Mustang ever is.

Remember, where ever Superman goes Kryptonite is not that far behind.
Old 12/15/10, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by icemant180
... although new fabricated parts can offset that, provided you have the skills and tools...
Yes, but its design also provides for specs limitations.

There is another item to consider. Out of the factory a chassis is balanced. Considering law of averages, rust and/or physical damage are a good possibility on a forty year old car. Once that occurs it is almost impossible to return it to its original form which brings alignment problems which transalates to vibrations at high speeds and handling issues. I went through it and to label it as less than fun would be an understatement. No matter what remedy was tried no one could figure it out. The illusion faded and reality flashed. Therefore I had a couple of options: restrict it to cruising and car shows, or selling it and moving on to explore new horizons.

I love Mustangs mainly because of performance but there has to be a level of predictability of its response to be paired with driving skills so there is full awareness on the limits of both.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 12/15/10 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12/15/10, 01:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I expect it will not be easy for the 2012 MY.

Considering the cost of the Boss, the novelty taking its course, and the likely new Mustang for 2014, I anticipate its availibility to be a lot better for the 2013 MY. It happens with every new model on its second production year regardless of upgrades. Sure, the Boss sounds to be perfect but it will not be, no Mustang ever is.

Remember, where ever Superman goes Kryptonite is not that far behind.
The Boss is great and I love the work that's gone into the car but I just don't know how necessary it is. The GT would suit me just fine. The new heads and intake would be a welcome addition but in all due time other respectable companies will have parts like this. Even though the regular 5L is a great engine anyway.

I still have time to see what's in store for the 2014. Either way I think the first purchase will be of a late model Mustang, either 2011/2012 or a 2014/2015. Then down the line choose the Resto or 08/09 Bullitt. I probably shouldn't even think that far in advance.

Ultimate Future garage:
Ford GT, e46 M3, 2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Mustang GT500, 2009 Bullitt, 2014 Mustang.

I would add SLS MB, R8, DeTomaso Pantera (4.6L DOHC Velocity Stack), 85 Countach, F5 Kit Daytona Coupe, 96 Diablo, V8 Vantage, DBS, McLauren F1....but I think the top one is already a stretch. Too bad they will never offer competition orange in anything but the 2012 Boss.

Last edited by Automagically; 12/15/10 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12/21/10, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

The 67 sounds like a great idea. Old school looks with modern technology. What a head turner. IRS is a great idea. That sounds like a hella cruiser