Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

FYI: Weird Electrical Outage today

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/07, 03:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI: Weird Electrical Outage today

I drove to work, no problems, gauges worked, pwr windows, blower motor, radio, turn signals, etc.
When I got in the car to leave I started it and immediately found the power windows would not work but the Pwr door locks did, the car was running fine.
Here are all the things that were NOT working:
Pwr windows
Fuel gauge
Water Temp gauge
Oil gauge
Clock
Radio
Blower motor
Turn signals
Wipers
Hazard Lights
What was weird, the "Low Fuel light" was On, but I know I had plenty of gas.
Well, I was hot with no AC or windows down, I drove home as fast as I could. When I went to turn the car OFF, the Oil light came on and it sounded like the starter engaged again for a second. I quit and it looked like the key went too far forward. I carefully turned the key back off and the car turned off.
I then turned the Key On and the radio, windows, etc worked again. I've started the car again since and everything seems to be normal again.
It was weird, just an FYI incase this happens to anyone else.
Thanks,
Sam
Old 4/16/07, 03:52 PM
Service Manager

Received 431 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by sam woodson
I drove to work, no problems, gauges worked, pwr windows, blower motor, radio, turn signals, etc.
When I got in the car to leave I started it and immediately found the power windows would not work but the Pwr door locks did, the car was running fine.
Here are all the things that were NOT working:
Pwr windows
Fuel gauge
Water Temp gauge
Oil gauge
Clock
Radio
Blower motor
Turn signals
Wipers
Hazard Lights
What was weird, the "Low Fuel light" was On, but I know I had plenty of gas.
Well, I was hot with no AC or windows down, I drove home as fast as I could. When I went to turn the car OFF, the Oil light came on and it sounded like the starter engaged again for a second. I quit and it looked like the key went too far forward. I carefully turned the key back off and the car turned off.
I then turned the Key On and the radio, windows, etc worked again. I've started the car again since and everything seems to be normal again.
It was weird, just an FYI incase this happens to anyone else.
Thanks,
Sam
Your problem is simple....you have a bad ignition switch. This is not the key cylinder but the slider switch that the key activates. This is a common problem and was a recall for Ford for a large amount of cars. This CAN and HAS caused fires in cars so I recommend you replace it immediately! They are held in with 2 tamper proof bolts that the heads break off when they are installed so you will have to use some side cuts or good pliers to get them loose and removed. Your local auto parts stores have these switches...they are aluminum & plastic bodies and what happens is they loosen up and the contacts seperate causing all kinds of weird electrical issues.

DO NOT WAIT! Fix this as soon as you possibly can.
Old 4/17/07, 06:40 PM
GT Member

Thanks, I stopped by Advance Auto on the way home and picked one up and installed it. I used some Needle nose Vise Grips to get the old bolts out.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 4/23/07, 12:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, this may be the same problem I have. I have to jiggle the ignition switch everytime I get into the car, because the following do not work: AC Fan Blower, Turn Signals and Rear Defroster. Can you tell me what the part number was and what exactly is the parts' name? Thanks

EDIT: Is this the same on a 93 GT? I noticed that his is an 86???
Old 4/23/07, 06:53 AM
Service Manager

This is the same part through 1993...it is called an ignition switch.
Old 4/23/07, 08:34 AM
GT Member

Ignition Starter Switch

They list several brands for the same part, just depends what your local store has in stock.

GP Sorensen Ignition Starter Switch
Part Number: S66
Old 4/23/07, 03:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks, picked one up on the way home. Hope this fixes my problems too? One other question, where exactly is it located at?
Old 4/23/07, 03:34 PM
Service Manager

You have to remove the trim on the steering column....it is located just down below your key operated switch before you reach the dash.
Old 4/23/07, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool, thanks
Old 5/5/07, 05:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Update! This fixed my problem. Did mine this past Thursday night. The old one fell apart in my hands, when I unplugged the connector I get in the car now, start it up and everything works, it's so great
Old 5/5/07, 04:53 PM

**** dude, talk about thread jacking.............jeez
Old 5/5/07, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 92lx5.0
**** dude, talk about thread jacking.............jeez
WTF are you talking about?
Old 5/7/07, 07:11 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Mirage775
Update! This fixed my problem. Did mine this past Thursday night. The old one fell apart in my hands, when I unplugged the connector I get in the car now, start it up and everything works, it's so great
Glad it fixed it. This is THE most common problem on Fox Mustangs....anytime there is a weird electrical gremlin it is the first place I check.
Old 5/7/07, 12:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool you got it fixed. I remember I got a letter about seven or so years ago about the recall.

I took it in to the local Ford dealer and they fixed it. I don't know for certain but I would guess that anyone could take their car in to Ford to have this fixed for no charge since it was indeed a recall.
Old 5/7/07, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not sure about the recalls nowadays? Back in 97, I carried my 94 S10 to the dealer to get some recalls fixed and they wouldn't do any of them to it!? I probably could've got them in trouble about it, but I'm not a person, that tries to get other people in trouble.