Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Coil spark

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/13, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil spark

How do i check if my coil is sending spark to my distributor?

How do i check if my distributor is sending spark to the spark plugs?

Or how do i know if either one took a **** on me?
Old 1/17/13, 10:10 PM
V6 Member

Pull a plug out and disconnect the coil wire. Plug the spark plug into the coil wire, hold the plug to a spot on the block. Have someone crank the car over in short bursts and watch for spark. Do not arc yourself while checking, you may want to hold the boot and not the plug itself. If you have good solid spark the coil should be fine. If that's good you will have to replace the coil plug on the distributor cap and then check each plug in a similar fashion. If you are getting no spark anywhere it could be the module on the bottom of the distributor. Hope this helps and use at your own risk. If you have a Haynes or Chilton's manual they have a service and check procedure.
Old 1/18/13, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by SleepingStang
Pull a plug out and disconnect the coil wire. Plug the spark plug into the coil wire, hold the plug to a spot on the block. Have someone crank the car over in short bursts and watch for spark. Do not arc yourself while checking, you may want to hold the boot and not the plug itself. If you have good solid spark the coil should be fine. If that's good you will have to replace the coil plug on the distributor cap and then check each plug in a similar fashion. If you are getting no spark anywhere it could be the module on the bottom of the distributor. Hope this helps and use at your own risk. If you have a Haynes or Chilton's manual they have a service and check procedure.
Thanks