Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Catalytic Converter Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/14, 07:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter Rattle?

I replaced the exhaust on my 88 GT. When I did it got BBK shorties and Flomaster complete. Now when the car warms up (it's silent when it's a cold start) there is a rattling noise on the right side around the middle of the car, I believe it's the cat. When we were putting the H pipe on, we had to really pry on it to get it to line up - and if I remember correctly it got dropped as well. I can get a video of it.

I ordered a BBK offroad X-pipe and it should be here Thursday, but I want to make sure that this is what's going on.
Old 5/6/14, 09:31 PM
GT Member

Here's the video, you can really hear it pretty well. This was about 5 minutes after the car was started and I got it all warmed up. The sound is definitely coming from down there. Sorry it's so dark, but both of the ambulances are here, so we couldn't put it in the bay up on the ramps.

Old 5/8/14, 04:43 PM
V6 Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Your video sounds exactly like the same rattling problem after I ran across a 4 inch boulder on the freeway and it hit my cat.
I would on the ground under the exhaust tip and see if you have any sort of a white chalky residue and if you do the honeycomb more than like is busted up and that is what you rattling around.
This is what mine looked like after I ran across the boulder.
Attached Thumbnails Catalytic Converter Rattle?-dsc02280.jpg   Catalytic Converter Rattle?-dsc02290.jpg   Catalytic Converter Rattle?-inside-outside-.jpg  
Old 5/8/14, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK
Your video sounds exactly like the same rattling problem after I ran across a 4 inch boulder on the freeway and it hit my cat.
I would on the ground under the exhaust tip and see if you have any sort of a white chalky residue and if you do the honeycomb more than like is busted up and that is what you rattling around.
This is what mine looked like after I ran across the boulder.
Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better about ordering that x-pipe. The x-pipe should be a lot easier to put on and get the correct fit too, since it's the 3 piece design, instead of a 1 piece design. Plus it's a BBK, so I'd hope it'd fit better with the BBK headers as well.
Old 5/11/14, 02:20 PM
GT Member

Just an update, that's what it was. I picked up the old pipe and shook it, pieces of cat fell out.

Now I just need to get those turbine wheels looking good and find some tires for it.
Old 5/11/14, 03:02 PM
V6 Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Been there ........and it's a sickening feeling when you see the chunks fall out of the tail pipes, but at least you now know where what that rattle if from.

What shape are your Turbine wheels in? Looking for something that you don't have to work yourself to death on to make them look good.
I got 4 of them that look also brand new ( one has a very small scratch on it and the covers look really good, tires might have 15K left on them) that I'm willing to give to someone if they're willing to pay for the shipping.
Old 5/22/14, 09:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK
Been there ........and it's a sickening feeling when you see the chunks fall out of the tail pipes, but at least you now know where what that rattle if from.

What shape are your Turbine wheels in? Looking for something that you don't have to work yourself to death on to make them look good.
I got 4 of them that look also brand new ( one has a very small scratch on it and the covers look really good, tires might have 15K left on them) that I'm willing to give to someone if they're willing to pay for the shipping.
They're probably going to have to be refinished, but if you're willing to give a set away and shipping isn't super bad, I'd be more than willing to give them a good home!

Sorry I haven't responded, been out with my new girl - she just showed up, so I've been neglecting the others.

Name:  newmustang2.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  81.1 KB