Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Brake problems on my '86!

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/07, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake problems on my '86!

OK, about ready to give up, I replaced the pads on the rear drums on my '86 GT because they were worn and were squeaking. I replaced the pads, the hardware and the wheel cylinder. The problem I am having now is the drivers side squeaks when I first apply the brakes, but when you press the pedal further down the squeak stops. But I can feel both rears grabbing and the drums gets real hot, plus you can smell the pads burning, and the pedal feels a bit mushy when they get hot. I have everything installed correctly and adjusted, like I mentioned above everything has been replaced in the back and the drums look good. Can this be caused by a bad distribution valve, master cylinder or hoses? That is the only thing other then the brake lines that have not been replaced. What would make the rears grab, what am I missing?
Old 4/24/07, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you checked the fluid and made sure the lines are clear? The fluid looks clear and not brown or dark?????
Old 4/24/07, 04:02 PM
Service Manager

Received 432 Likes on 209 Posts
It is possible that your proportioning valve is stuck.....brake fluid should be changed at a minimum once every 2 years and should be clear. If your brake fluid is not clear, it is toast.....Brake fluid by nature absorbs moisture and that is created by the heating and cooling cycle they go through. If your fluid is dark or black then it is possible you have a stuck proportioning valve.
Old 4/24/07, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by svopaul
It is possible that your proportioning valve is stuck.....brake fluid should be changed at a minimum once every 2 years and should be clear. If your brake fluid is not clear, it is toast.....Brake fluid by nature absorbs moisture and that is created by the heating and cooling cycle they go through. If your fluid is dark or black then it is possible you have a stuck proportioning valve.
I have not changed mine in long time.. Weekend here I come...
Old 4/24/07, 04:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by palmaceae
the drums look good
You did not turn them?
Old 4/24/07, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by jacostang
Have you checked the fluid and made sure the lines are clear? The fluid looks clear and not brown or dark?????

It was dark, but bled them. But would old fluid cause this?
Old 4/24/07, 06:18 PM

Proportioning valve, that is the word I was looking for, not distrubution valve! This was the next thing I was going to replace, because it makes the most sense.
BTW, are new proportioning valve available at local auto parts stores?
Old 4/24/07, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Puter
You did not turn them?
Yes, forgot to mention that.
Old 4/24/07, 06:29 PM

Dark fluid is bad for all components, Dirt and Moisture like Paul said carries rusty crap all through your brake sysytem...
Old 4/25/07, 07:20 AM
Service Manager

Proportioning valve, that is the word I was looking for, not distrubution valve! This was the next thing I was going to replace, because it makes the most sense.
BTW, are new proportioning valve available at local auto parts stores?
No, they are not. Your best bet is to take it apart and clean it. There are O-rings in there and it can be rebuilt. Sludge build up from lack of fluid changes can cause it to seize up.
Old 4/25/07, 08:54 AM

No, they are not. Your best bet is to take it apart and clean it. There are O-rings in there and it can be rebuilt. Sludge build up from lack of fluid changes can cause it to seize up.
Thanks, can I get the O-rings somewhere?
Old 4/25/07, 09:04 AM
Service Manager

Take it apart and see how the O-rings are...you may be able to reuse them if not hard and brittle or you can carry them to your local auto parts store and choose from their selection of O-rings. Worst case you can buy an O-ring assortment kit from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools.
Old 4/25/07, 10:00 AM

Take it apart and see how the O-rings are...you may be able to reuse them if not hard and brittle or you can carry them to your local auto parts store and choose from their selection of O-rings. Worst case you can buy an O-ring assortment kit from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools.
Thanks!
I do not look forward to taking the lines off the block, they look a little corroded on the outside (where the nut joins the line, turn the nut the line moves with it), hopefully a shot of WD-40 will loosen them up.
Old 4/25/07, 10:26 AM
Service Manager

Thanks!
I do not look forward to taking the lines off the block, they look a little corroded on the outside (where the nut joins the line, turn the nut the line moves with it), hopefully a shot of WD-40 will loosen them up.
Make sure you use a line wrench and you can use a hammer to tap the wrench and hopefully shock them loose.
Old 5/6/07, 08:29 PM

Just to let you know you were right! The valve was stuck and quite dirty when I opened it up. I cleaned it first but still had the problem (while bleeding the rear brakes, no fluid would flow when pumping the pedal) but took it apart again and made sure nothing was sticking, now all works well. I would still like to replace it if I could find one!
Thanks again!
Old 5/7/07, 06:54 AM
Service Manager

Just to let you know you were right! The valve was stuck and quite dirty when I opened it up. I cleaned it first but still had the problem (while bleeding the rear brakes, no fluid would flow when pumping the pedal) but took it apart again and made sure nothing was sticking, now all works well. I would still like to replace it if I could find one!
Thanks again!
Glad it worked out....you should not have to replace it once it works again. Just make sure to change the brake fluid in the system at least once every 2 years and you will not have another problem.