Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

89 5.0 LX, short in the system...

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/08, 09:45 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 5.0 LX, short in the system...

About two months ago, I go to start the car after it sat for 3-4 days. Turn the key and it's just a series a clicks, that's it. Then I go to start it again the next day. Nothing Happens. So I take the battery in to have it checked. Only been about 7 months since I bought it new. They tell me there's a dead cell, so I get a replacement battery, no charge.

No problems for the last couple months. Car is driven almost every day since then. Maybe a day or two skipped now an then. (Hey, I've got a nice '06 Legend Lime coupe to drive too LOL.)

Fast forward to this past Monday. Same thing happens again. Car sat for 3-4 days. Turn the key, clicking. Try the next day, nothing. My dad thinks there's a short in the system somewhere.

I'm no mechanic, so I ask you experts here - What's up?

Thanks for your help.
Mike
Old 5/11/08, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

sorry for the late reply, but it sounds like your starter is fried...
Old 5/12/08, 05:37 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
. . . have you changed the starter solenoid? Might be a good place to start and they are not expensive.
Old 5/12/08, 08:09 AM
GT Member

Update as of yesterday (Sunday 5/11) - So I take the battery in to have it checked, nothing wrong except it needs recharged. So they recharge it, I put it back in the car. Starts fine. I run the car back to the shop and they check the systems out. They say everything looks good.

Something must be slowly draining the battery down though. I'm guessing that eventually this scenario will happen again.

Two of you have said it's the starter/starter solenoid. This must be what is draining the battery. Maybe I should just replace the solenoid now as prevention.
Old 5/12/08, 10:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Its funny but check all your accesory lights like in the trunk, my switch went bad on my 89 and the light stayed on, since it's not a daily driver at all, it was dead, charged the battery and great.. Next week same thing.. Just went out one night and sat in the car and noticed the slightest little bit of light coming from the trunk!! well thats what it was, slow drain and if you havean aftermarket stereo w/detatch face plate, take it off..
Old 5/12/08, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

i'd check for a drain, if you can't find one, it may be the alternator...
Old 5/27/08, 07:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
. . . have you changed the starter solenoid? Might be a good place to start and they are not expensive.
Update - Over the weekend, had the same problem. Car sat for two days. I go to start it. Just clicking. So I picked up a new starter solenoid. Installed it. Had to jump the car to get it running. Drove it a little on Sunday. Went to start it Monday, just clicking again. So I guess it's not the solenoid.

What's next to check, the alternator or starter?
Old 5/27/08, 01:21 PM

another thing, if you have wired in an aftermarket stereo, make sure its power wire is wired into the ignition, not the battery. same thing happend to me awhile back. i had wired the stereo into the battery, and even when the car was off, the stereo was still draining my battery. so i rewired it to the ingition, and it was fine.

something is wired up directley to your battery, could be a aftermarket push button start, stereo, or anything else that could have been connected to the battery.
Old 5/27/08, 01:56 PM
GT Member

No aftermarket stuff added, the car is factory stock. I am the original owner.

I do want to check the accessory lights though, like jacostang suggested.
Old 5/29/08, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

it sounds like the alternator....
Old 5/31/08, 05:47 PM
GT Member

Well, I can scratch alternator off the list as a cause of my problem. Just unbolted it today and took it over to the local Autozone. They tested it three times, all came back as OK.

I also had them recharge the battery while I was there.

I still need to check for an accessory drain.

Other than that, I'm lost.
Old 6/2/08, 08:34 AM
GT Member

Any chance it could be the battery cable(s)?
Old 6/3/08, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like a small but constant draw on the battery. The best thing to do would be to track it down and fix it. The quickest thing to do would be to install a battery kill switch. If the kill switch fixes the problem then you know you have to take a weekend and track down the offending wire. If the switch does not fix the problem then you must continue the diagnosis.

There was a technical service bulliten on the mustang ignition switch back in the late 80's early 90's. This thing caused all sorts of problems and yours may think it is in acc mode when it is really supposed to be off. Ford only shows recalls in the computer for 10 years but you can google the TSB for more info.

Now granted... Many things can contribute to current resistance such as bad battery cables, loose or damaged grounds, dirty cruddy electrical connections and even heat but I dont think that is your problem.

Last edited by KEEP; 6/3/08 at 05:26 PM.
Old 6/3/08, 07:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In the mean time, get a battery terminal cut off switch and cut the power off until you find it. Get a volt meter and check your grounds and draws on the system when the power is off, you may see a surge or pulse..