Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1986 5.0 gt... help

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/13, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 5.0 gt... help

Hey thinking of buying a 1986 gt 5.0. he is asking 1700 so i figured i can offer 900-1200 because it needs new tires as they are bald, and needs exhaust installed he has cherry bomb muffler just got to install it, there is a small hole in floor pan and driver seat leans back and doesnt stay, also small leak in valve cover? just needs a new gasket... otherwise the engine sounds strong. it's an automatic, dont know much about these cars, going to be my introduction into mustangs, was wondering general prices for these cars and if it is a good deal, also what should i look for when i check it out and test drive it this weekend? mainly stock from what i see, wondering what cheap quick performance stuff i can upgrade to make it my own. some rust spots on back lid and rear wheel well. not too bad.
Old 6/27/13, 02:43 PM

Mainly wanna know prices on doing work on it, such as adding cold air intake, and typical performance stuff, also maybe getting replacement back lid to replace rust and new interior pieces such as driver seat mainly since i don't care for passengers comfort.
Old 6/27/13, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Welcome to the forum!!

The 86 5.0 is limited due to no valve reliefs and speed density computer. Check out the tech section for more info on the engine. Exaust and cold air intake should work fine. Also check out americanmuscle.com, cjponyparts.com, brothersperformance.com, and latemodelrestoration.com. That shoud get you started on the price of parts. good luck and keep us posted!
Old 6/27/13, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by dcpirani
Welcome to the forum!!

The 86 5.0 is limited due to no valve reliefs and speed density computer. Check out the tech section for more info on the engine. Exaust and cold air intake should work fine. Also check out americanmuscle.com, cjponyparts.com, brothersperformance.com, and latemodelrestoration.com. That shoud get you started on the price of parts. good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks for the reply! And nice to know that, I've done some trolling around and saw that its limited in what you can do, what's some good ideas such as making a mass air conversion will that help? and I'll check it out, does it give suggestions as to what to do performance wise to it? cause i plan on making it my daily driver and update/restore it as i go when i get cash, like replace the back hatch with a fast back style hatch is this possible? I would like it to look like a fast back or is it technically already one? I am going to go to his house this weekend with cash in hand 900-1500 bucks if my mom will actualy give me 200 bucks or so toward it so I'll have deffinately 1200 myself then hopefully whatever she can add, but I'm thinking if i go with cash he would take a grand or so since it does need work before it can be on the road ispected. so hopefully if I get it in my possession I will look forward to posting everything I do on this forum for suggestions and ideas. any input is welcome.
Old 6/28/13, 06:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Ciesla
Thanks for the reply! And nice to know that, I've done some trolling around and saw that its limited in what you can do, what's some good ideas such as making a mass air conversion will that help? and I'll check it out, does it give suggestions as to what to do performance wise to it? cause i plan on making it my daily driver and update/restore it as i go when i get cash, like replace the back hatch with a fast back style hatch is this possible? I would like it to look like a fast back or is it technically already one? I am going to go to his house this weekend with cash in hand 900-1500 bucks if my mom will actualy give me 200 bucks or so toward it so I'll have deffinately 1200 myself then hopefully whatever she can add, but I'm thinking if i go with cash he would take a grand or so since it does need work before it can be on the road ispected. so hopefully if I get it in my possession I will look forward to posting everything I do on this forum for suggestions and ideas. any input is welcome.
Mass air flow conversion needs to be top on your list as far as motor mods. Cold air intake really adds very little to no horsepower on these cars. Heads cam intake swap will net you the most gains. There are several routes to go with that depending on budget. Gears is always a good idea.
Old 6/28/13, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you are lucky enough to purchase for less than 1500.00, congrats!

Take care of the "must do" list... tires, oil, filter, coolant, check brakes, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, air filter. A good bath followed by wax and interior cleaning is a great way to get to know your car.

Once you have established a strong base line, drive the car for a few weeks, take note of the rattles, shakes, what works and what does not work. Keep a written notebook, and then plan your upgrades accordingly, within your budget. Make the car safer before adding more power (brake upgrades, chassis strengthening, suspension improvements, lighter K-member), working within your budget.
Once you have established a solid and safe foundation, work on getting power to the ground (gears, tranny build with shift kit, aluminum driveshaft). Upon completion of this process, you can plan your power upgrades.

Heads and Cam shaft will make the biggest power improvement, with upper/lower Intake upgrade as well. Fuel delivery should be addressed at this time (higher volume fule pump, larger injectors) Depending on mileage, you may want to pull the engine, regasket and reseal throughout, add new timing chain and sprokets, new oil pump, headers, mounts underdrive pulleys, 3G Alt upgrade, eliminate the smog junk and clean up the engine bay. This would be the best time to complete the exhaust as well.
As for changing over from Speed Density to Mass Air, YOU have to decide if it is worth the cost, (as is the 4 lug to 5 lug conversion). You can make plenty of streetable power with the original set-up speed density and PCM combo.

Simply put, do not rush to change everything at once... take your time and follow a plan. Welcome to the club... and remember, modifying a Mustang is an addiction!

Last edited by delz05; 6/28/13 at 06:18 PM.
Old 6/28/13, 06:15 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Agreed!! In my first '86 Capri I had a '93 Cobra long block with speed density and it ran great! Although I had to "blip" the throttle at stop lights on hot days . . .

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 6/28/13 at 06:20 PM.