1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

What type of paint do i use for my doors?

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/12, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of paint do i use for my doors?

What type of paint do i use for my doors?-image-3103326827.jpg
Old 4/24/12, 10:53 PM

So that it sticks
Old 4/25/12, 03:00 PM

Buy the SEM paint at National Parts Depot. I used that crap from mustangs unlimited and it was a mess.
Old 4/26/12, 03:36 AM

I will look into that immediately.
Thank you
Old 4/26/12, 07:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The paint to use is the same paint for the outside, overall. Depends on if you want a shine or not. Semi-gloss is probably what you're after, but if you can use it on the outside of the car, then you can use it on the inside. Prep is the same: Bodywork if needed, sealer primer (probably a thin coat for the grainy skin) and then shoot it.

I, on the other hand, got a bolt of red vinyl for Muskrat and proceeded to upholster her interior instead.

/Way better than paint. Much better touchy/feely action.
//Dash switch pods were the hardest.
///Well, the curves at the bottom of the doors weren't fun either.
////Heat gun and patience, patience, patience. And I'd do it again, twice, before I'd paint those doors. In case that's motiviating or something.

Last edited by houtex; 4/26/12 at 07:44 PM.
Old 4/30/12, 12:21 AM

Hmm that sounds like another good idea.
I have them stripped down at the moment and just want a smooth look and black.
Old 4/30/12, 12:22 AM

Where do you get this vinyl? Is it a kit or just went out and bought some fabric
Old 5/1/12, 01:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Thissa bit long, sorry... lots to say about it.

There was a company what made vinyl coverings, with a seam in them, for the rear inner quarter panel trim for the coupes. I got it... and then said "hey, I want the whole dang interior done with this."

I called them, they sent me 3 yards of it, which was plenty... I think it was 3 yards... might've been 6... I don't remember.

However, you can go to any cloth store, or even online and find it. The stuff I used has backing. You *might* have an easier time of it with straight vinyl to get it to curve around things and stretch a little better. But you won't have as nice a feel without the backing. Other than that, you can pick the color, texture, heck, even a leopard print if you want. It's all the same, really, just colors and textures. Pebble, long grain, short, smooth, shiny, matte... Whatever floats your boat.

The worst part of the job was the lower door panel curves, *especially* the front lower door. Horrible. A lot of stretching and cuts. Not impossible, just... really difficult. In retrospect, it would have been easier to do those with the doors off, but... I didn't do that. The edges of the vinyl were cut so that the weather strip would be the natural cover. Any exposed areas were folded back and tucked. The inner window felt strip covered that, easily.

Second hardest part is the dash bumps for the switch gear, but in a '68 I don't know if they're different than the 66. The vinyl simply didn't wanna hang on the valleys between the bumps, but really.. it looked fine afterward.

Third was the steering column. But I solved that too, and here's how. Wrap and seam it like a two stretches of carpet. Doesn't have to be perfect, but the seam has to be at the bottom. Then get a nice piece of stainless flat trim with chamfered edges, and counter sunk screw holes. And the tiniest little screws you can possibly use to secure the thing. Drill holes, screw it on. Tada. Looked good when I was done with it, went with the other shiny trim of the gauges and such.

And finally, the ashtray. Cover the hole, then make an X on it, not too far into the corners though. Peel the wedges back and stick. The ashtray itself, just use a nice piece and stick it on, wrapping the door, and cutting the excess. It stays closed anyway, right?

I also carpeted the package tray, which was fun to reinstall, but worth it.

Oh, and the quarterpanel trim was the easiest to do by far. So simple.

Just, really, whatever you might paint, you might can also do with vinyl, when you get down to it. Have a heat gun, don't over heat the vinyl (it'll melt, and/or take your fingerprint impressions in it.. not terribly attractive), use a *strong* but not *superglue immediate* glue, and be patient, overall. And have enough material to screw up. That's the fun part.

Hope that helps!