1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Stock or Restomod?

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/05, 06:26 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I am looking for some input from some of you guys. I have a pretty recently restored 1968 Coupe with a vinyl top. I am trying to figure out what I want to do with the car. I was thinking of either going with a GT clone or maybe just going full blow restomod on it where the sky is the limit. If I were going to do shows which would be more beneficial to me? Also I would love to hear any opinions you guys have.
Old 5/5/05, 07:04 AM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well it depends on what type of show u would be going to...custrom or classic....IMO i think u have an awesome car right now and i would rather see a GT clone rather than a hacked away mustang that some parts should have never been on the car (like that yello on that was on the forums ) but then again thats me its ur car so have fuin either way

Restomod Gone Wrong

AThis will denfinitely make ur stomach turn.....
Old 5/5/05, 09:16 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Big D@May 5, 2005, 9:07 AM
well it depends on what type of show u would be going to...custrom or classic....IMO i think u have an awesome car right now and i would rather see a GT clone rather than a hacked away mustang that some parts should have never been on the car (like that yello on that was on the forums ) but then again thats me its ur car so have fuin either way

Restomod Gone Wrong

AThis will denfinitely make ur stomach turn.....

Thanks for the input. I would never cut up my mustang to make it look like that in that picture. I am very new to this so let me tell you my ideas for a restomod would be disc breaks, electronic ignition, several minor things like that. That might not even qualify as a restomod, I'm not sure. As far as a GT clone goes I am working on finding out the differences in mine and a GT now. Does anyone have any links that discuss GT cloning?
Old 5/5/05, 09:17 AM

Personally speaking, I think the overall appearance of the 65-70 Mustangs is hard to beat. I am also not a fan of concourse restorations for anything that was not rare. So that puts me squarely in the restomod corner.

I would suggest you go crazy modding the mechanicals, but keep the aesthetic mods to a minumum. Nothing wrong with the factory GT bits, and you can't go wrong with Shelby add-ons in my opinion. But since you have a 68 maybe you should consider a GT/CS clone.
Old 5/5/05, 09:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

IMO you're car looks great stock. Now if it were a rusted out shell a restomod might be the way to go but in your case I would say stock. Beautiful car!
Old 5/5/05, 09:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@May 5, 2005, 11:25 AM
IMO you're car looks great stock. Now if it were a rusted out shell a restomod might be the way to go but in your case I would say stock. Beautiful car!

Yes this is a very good looking car. If you want it to be absolutely perfect then it needs a paint job and a couple of small areas fixed up from rust. How would you feel about this car if you looked at it and found it to have GT fog lamps, disc brakes, and electronic ignition. The only real mods that have been made to this car is a holley 4 barrel carburetor, a Weiand Intake Manifold, and it has competition headers on it. Those are the only things that I can really find on it that didn't come stock on a 68.
Old 5/5/05, 11:59 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Kris9321+May 5, 2005, 9:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris9321 @ May 5, 2005, 9:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-1999 Black 35th GT@May 5, 2005, 11:25 AM

Yes this is a very good looking car. If you want it to be absolutely perfect then it needs a paint job and a couple of small areas fixed up from rust. How would you feel about this car if you looked at it and found it to have GT fog lamps, disc brakes, and electronic ignition. The only real mods that have been made to this car is a holley 4 barrel carburetor, a Weiand Intake Manifold, and it has competition headers on it. Those are the only things that I can really find on it that didn't come stock on a 68.[/b][/quote]
Looking at that picture, those wheels aren't stock.
If that car had GT fog lamps, disc brakes, and electronic ignition, I'd FEEL that it was just another 68 with fog lamps, disc brakes, and electronic ignition.

Seriously, it's your car. Do with it what you want. I see you have an 05. Nothing like having old and new, eh? Why not make your 68 as comfortable, and safe as say....a newer model? Brighter/better headlights with better wiring? Newer front suspension /tubular/boxed arms? Front discs? Late model seat swaps for added comfort (Cobra/ leather seats... mmmmm, comfy ) ? Better cooling system w/electric fan or fans? 5 speed swap, to help lower fuel consumption of that, ugh, Holley? 3 point seat belt/restraint system ?
Alot of things come to mind, but by all means.........DRIVE IT and ENJOY IT!
Don't turn it into an E'nore either..... :shock: :nono:
Old 5/5/05, 12:01 PM
V6 Member

IMO, it’s all about degree’s. You can have something completely stock, that only the purists/concourse crowd can appreciate, or you can go so far over the top that even the modifiers of the hobby will turn their nose up (Like that hideous yellow thing).

I agree with the rest of the group; your car looks very nice as it is and the mods you’re talking about shouldn’t change that. But I somehow think that these mods/upgrades alone wont be enough for you and that at some point in the future, you’ll be looking for something different that sets your car apart from the crowd.

Old 5/5/05, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

make an Eleanor. You cant go wrong with an Eleanor. Everyone knows that.
Old 5/5/05, 01:30 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Coupe+May 5, 2005, 2:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Coupe @ May 5, 2005, 2:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Kris9321@May 5, 2005, 9:29 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-1999 Black 35th GT
@May 5, 2005, 11:25 AM

Yes this is a very good looking car. If you want it to be absolutely perfect then it needs a paint job and a couple of small areas fixed up from rust. How would you feel about this car if you looked at it and found it to have GT fog lamps, disc brakes, and electronic ignition. The only real mods that have been made to this car is a holley 4 barrel carburetor, a Weiand Intake Manifold, and it has competition headers on it. Those are the only things that I can really find on it that didn't come stock on a 68.
Looking at that picture, those wheels aren't stock.
If that car had GT fog lamps, disc brakes, and electronic ignition, I'd FEEL that it was just another 68 with fog lamps, disc brakes, and electronic ignition.

Seriously, it's your car. Do with it what you want. I see you have an 05. Nothing like having old and new, eh? Why not make your 68 as comfortable, and safe as say....a newer model? Brighter/better headlights with better wiring? Newer front suspension /tubular/boxed arms? Front discs? Late model seat swaps for added comfort (Cobra/ leather seats... mmmmm, comfy ) ? Better cooling system w/electric fan or fans? 5 speed swap, to help lower fuel consumption of that, ugh, Holley? 3 point seat belt/restraint system ?
Alot of things come to mind, but by all means.........DRIVE IT and ENJOY IT!
Don't turn it into an E'nore either..... :shock: :nono:
[/b][/quote]

You caught me, I forgot about the wheels. Thanks for the opinion. I will keep you guys posted on what I do.
Old 5/7/05, 05:01 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Kris9321+May 5, 2005, 9:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris9321 @ May 5, 2005, 9:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-1999 Black 35th GT@May 5, 2005, 11:25 AM

[/b][/quote]

I think that would look good..we have a 65 vert and we already put the GT rims on and got rid of the hubcaps...we also changed the bumper, tail lights, gas cap and door sills...we also want to do the GT grill and maybe the shelby front apron...as long as ur putting on ford/shelby parts it'll only make ur car look cooler :P
Old 5/7/05, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by LMan@May 5, 2005, 1:12 PM
make an Eleanor. You cant go wrong with an Eleanor. Everyone knows that.
Baaan Hiiiiim!
:notnice: :notnice:
Old 5/7/05, 05:17 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dont think he gets it yet

i think i restomod would be great. as long as it isnt overdone, i think it qwould be great. especialy with some GT/CS styling cues on it
5 speed would be nice too

do what ya want bro
Old 5/7/05, 06:34 PM

your car is ok stock, but a restomod ish linda car DONE RIGHT is where its at. here's a perfect example. this is wht sickest 67 i've ever seen.

i cpoldn't get the pics to show, but heres the link to the car...
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=mustang

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachmen...tachmentid=2936

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachmen...tachmentid=2937

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachmen...tachmentid=2935
Old 5/9/05, 10:50 AM
Cobra Member

time to drink the Eleanor Kool-Aid, my friend. Eleanor is your salvation.
Old 5/11/05, 07:08 AM
FR500 Member

i duno if the eleanor kit would look good on a coupe I think it'll only look good on a fastback or convertible...IMO
Old 5/11/05, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Big D@May 11, 2005, 8:11 AM
i duno if the eleanor kit would look good on a coupe I think it'll only look good on a fastback or convertible...IMO
There was a guy who lives in Houston that used to post on Stangnet a lot who converted his 68 notchback to one. It looked as good as any. In fact it looked a little better becuase he did not use that skanky **** hood
Old 5/16/05, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

i would have a 302 in it that has different heads,carb,intake,rocker rollers and stuff like that.but for the outside i'd keep it stock exept for the wheels and tires.also differnt gears and maybe a tremec 5 speed.but that is what i would do if i had the money.
Old 5/16/05, 03:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it all depends if you plan on selling it or not. If you want to sell later in life, go stock... it will be worth way more to a collector..but if you plan on keeping it forever...do whatever you want to it to make it personal and cool to you. As for going to shows...restomod is the way to go..it will catch way more attention. It seems like everyone has a 20 yr old restored 65-68..and no one looks at them. But make it a little flashy, and people will be taking pictures of it